TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Blog The Economic Superiority of Electric Vehicles in the Mobility Cloud

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by LotusFan, Jun 15, 2017.

1. LotusFan

LotusFan Member

[​IMG]
    Hello, my name is Eric Bergerson and I’m an industrial designer with an additional background in physics. I work as a consultant in the autonomous vehicle industry and I’m very interested in what’s going to happen when Uber, Lyft and their competitors in America and abroad start using cost effective autonomous vehicles. For a quick overview of these ideas and how this phenomenon will end up electrifying America’s automobile fleet, see my introductory post.

Electric cars, like solar power, have been a “feel good” technology that for decades couldn’t compete with the more common and environmentally destructive fossil fuel alternatives without the aid of subsidies. That’s all going to end. The big winners in this disruption are going to be electric vehicle manufacturers because the reality is that 95% of the trips people take in cars can be handled by electric vehicles equipped with current battery technology and the three main drawbacks of electric vehicles (initial purchase cost, range and recharging time) will all be negated by The Mobility Cloud.

The moderately higher purchase cost of an electric vehicle will be become inconsequential because in this usage model, now the vehicle’s purchase price is being...

READ ARTICLE

2. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Sure, you can split your home into a 2 family and rent out to someone. You can share your car and hope they don't smoke or carry animals or don't barf (even though they 'clean it up'). Sure you can become an Uber driver using your nice new car and enjoy meeting new people and netting all that cash after taxes, FICA, insurance, etc - maybe you can still afford a burger for lunch. Time to rethink all this??
    --

• Like x 1