Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Electric Car Might Be the Perfect Second Ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's what the next generation of electric cars can do and how their capability differs from that of past cars: They can serve as the perfect second car for families to do local shopping and short runs around town.

I could not agree more with that statement. 2-car families would be crazy not to have 1 of their cars being electric unless they both have very long commutes. My wife and I both work and one of us commutes every day with our Tesla. We could easily make the drive with the Leaf or MiEV. Then on the weekends we drive the Tesla 90% of the time (basically all the time except once every 3 months where we go more that 150 miles or if we are going out to eat where the parking lot situation is sketchy - but we tend to avoid those restaurants these days). I'd love to see one of the EV automakers make an agressive push to get the 2-car families to switch. Going after this market the first few years while the batteries improve and allow longer ranges seems like a no-brainer.

I agree that was a fairly decent read except for the repeated reference to electric cars not making sense on a energy conservation level, which is simply plain wrong. The energy conversion as long as you stay with electricity is pretty darn good. Though I suppose everyone here knows that :)

Cobos

No, it won't and can't replace our 2008 Acura RL, except in fulfilling 100 percent of our local driving. I find it extremely appealing not to purchase 900 gallons of gasoline a year—laced with 100 or more gallons of corn-based ethanol—for our second car.

Not sure why people have a problem understanding the meaning of primary. To us Leaf will be the primary car i.e. the car I use most often. ICE car is the second car that I use 10 times a year. I guess these guys call their vacation home as their primary residence ;)