TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The Electric Truck

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by malcolm, Dec 12, 2007.

1. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

2. mt2

mt2 Member

I saw that too.

It baffles me that the trucking industry is jumping from ICE to EV, skipping the hybrid. Simply put, GE Electromotive has been doing serial hybrids in trains for years, for all the reasons you'd want to do it in a truck - high torque at low speed and better fuel economy. And the trucking industry can add regenerative braking to the equation.

There's got to be a reason I'm missing. I can see the reasoning for BEV in city vehicles. But why doesn't Electromotive make long-haul trucks?

Hmm... this sort of gets back to the suggestion that GE get in the automotive industry, doesn't it?

3. AGR

AGR Member

Wal Mart is operating parallel hybrid trucks in their fleet.

Oshkosh has developed series hybrid comparable to a diesel electric locomotive for military applications.

Why isn't it widespread? If the power unit (the truck pulling the trailer) costs too much it does not make economic sense. Truck manufacturers this years are enduring sales that are down by 35% since everybody rushed last year to buy truck prior to the new diesel emission requirements for 2007.

The trucking industry needs to make some money when it pulls a load, the trucking customers are not interested in paying more money to have their loads pulled by hybrids.

4. mt2

mt2 Member

I guess I didn't do my homework, TEG. It's good to see Peterbilt getting into the game. Still, I'm surprised it took so long. But I suppose a high torque, cheap fuel diesel engine didn't demand a replacement until recently.

Back to the electric truck, I'm kind of stumped on the market for them. It's obvious that it's intended for urban delivery vehicles. But the cost of the technology could easily offset any fuel savings. So the only draw would be zero emissions. And unless a company got enormous tax breaks or can write it off as PR expense, I don't see where the truck will has any appeal to businesses.

5. SByer

SByer '08 #383

Think of it as risk abatement; it's a hedge against higher future fuel costs. How much risk you think there is would affect how much you're willing to pay now to hedge against it for some level of savings.

6. domenick

domenick Nerd

#7 domenick, Jan 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
    Diesel's getting expensive now and I don't think it's ever going to get much cheaper. Electric trucks may cost more up front but it does have some advantages over diesel. Not only is electricity a lot cheaper than diesel but it is more insulated from price and/or supply shocks. (ie. sudden conflict in a "pick an oil producing country" is not going to raise your fuel costs overnight)
    Also, maintenance cost and downtime is greatly reduced. A truck is not making you money when it's at the shop for it's oil change, etc.
    Of course in this day and age it could be a brilliant PR move. Not only can you say your vehicles are not contributing to global warming, they're also not making the city air unbreathable.
    Here's a press release from Smith Electric and Tanfield on one of their latest moves.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

8. DDB

DDB Member

The exchange rate would make these too expensive here. Why Smith doesn't build a plant in the US is beyond me. These vehicles, apparently can meet specs. I think even consumers would be willing to jump all over these.

9. domenick

domenick Nerd

I believe they are building a plant in the U.S.. Modec is hoping to come over as well.

10. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

11. DDB

DDB Member

I hope this venture is not derailed like the last time. Does anyone know if Ford mentioned pricing?

12. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

13. DDB

DDB Member

14. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

15. graham

graham Active Member

Green Car Congress: Smith Electric Vehicles US Corporation to Assemble Zero-Emission Commercial Trucks in North America

16. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

17. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

18. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Mitsubishi Fuso delivers hybrid trucks in Europe, getting lithium batteries from SK Energy — Autoblog Green

Interesting to see another part of Daimler partner with yet another battery supplier.