Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Electric Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw that too.

It baffles me that the trucking industry is jumping from ICE to EV, skipping the hybrid. Simply put, GE Electromotive has been doing serial hybrids in trains for years, for all the reasons you'd want to do it in a truck - high torque at low speed and better fuel economy. And the trucking industry can add regenerative braking to the equation.

There's got to be a reason I'm missing. I can see the reasoning for BEV in city vehicles. But why doesn't Electromotive make long-haul trucks?

Hmm... this sort of gets back to the suggestion that GE get in the automotive industry, doesn't it?

Wal Mart is operating parallel hybrid trucks in their fleet.

Oshkosh has developed series hybrid comparable to a diesel electric locomotive for military applications.

Why isn't it widespread? If the power unit (the truck pulling the trailer) costs too much it does not make economic sense. Truck manufacturers this years are enduring sales that are down by 35% since everybody rushed last year to buy truck prior to the new diesel emission requirements for 2007.

The trucking industry needs to make some money when it pulls a load, the trucking customers are not interested in paying more money to have their loads pulled by hybrids.

I guess I didn't do my homework, TEG. It's good to see Peterbilt getting into the game. Still, I'm surprised it took so long. But I suppose a high torque, cheap fuel diesel engine didn't demand a replacement until recently.

Back to the electric truck, I'm kind of stumped on the market for them. It's obvious that it's intended for urban delivery vehicles. But the cost of the technology could easily offset any fuel savings. So the only draw would be zero emissions. And unless a company got enormous tax breaks or can write it off as PR expense, I don't see where the truck will has any appeal to businesses.

Diesel's getting expensive now and I don't think it's ever going to get much cheaper. Electric trucks may cost more up front but it does have some advantages over diesel. Not only is electricity a lot cheaper than diesel but it is more insulated from price and/or supply shocks. (ie. sudden conflict in a "pick an oil producing country" is not going to raise your fuel costs overnight)
Also, maintenance cost and downtime is greatly reduced. A truck is not making you money when it's at the shop for it's oil change, etc.
Of course in this day and age it could be a brilliant PR move. Not only can you say your vehicles are not contributing to global warming, they're also not making the city air unbreathable.
Here's a press release from Smith Electric and Tanfield on one of their latest moves.

Last edited:
Tanfield American spinoff to begin building trucks this year - AutoblogGreen

smith-electric-vehicles-newton.jpg

Green Car Congress: Smith Electric Vehicles US Corporation to Assemble Zero-Emission Commercial Trucks in North America
Smith Electric Vehicles US Corporation (SEV US Corp) (earlier post), a Delaware corporation temporarily headquartered in Overland Park, Kan., is announcing the launch of its new company in conjunction with the National Truck and Equipment Association’s (NTEA) Work Truck Show to be held at Chicago’s McCormick Place, 4-6 March.

The company will assemble and market all-electric zero-emission commercial vehicles in North America, and said it will initially focus its production on battery-electric-powered vehicles for depot-based route delivery fleets.
Through its UK partner, The Tanfield Group Plc, SEV US Corp is working with Ford Motor Company to electrify the Ford Transit Connect as a BEV (battery electric vehicle) light-duty van scheduled for production in 2010.
SEV US Corp’s first zero-emission truck model will be the Smith Newton, currently the world’s largest battery-electric-powered truck. It has a top speed of up to 50 mph, a range on one battery charge in excess of 100 miles and a payload of up to 16,280 lbs.

Mitsubishi Fuso delivers hybrid trucks in Europe, getting lithium batteries from SK Energy — Autoblog Green

Mitsubishi Fuso is moving full speed ahead in the hybrid truck market. The Japanese truck maker that is 85 percent owned by Daimler recently made the first deliveries of its Canter EcoHybrid in Europe and is also developing more advanced hybrid and full electric trucks. The Dublin, Ireland-based utility Electric Supply Board has purchased 10 of the hybrid trucks for service use. Another ten trucks are headed for Australian customers soon. The two orders are the first for the truck outside of the Japanese market since its debut in July 2006.

Earlier this year, Daimler declared that Mitsubishi Fuso would be its global center for developing truck based hybrid systems. With that in mind, Fuso has struck a deal with South Korea's SK Energy for a supply of lithium ion batteries. The new advanced batteries would be used in a next-generation hybrid product expected to appear in about two years.

Interesting to see another part of Daimler partner with yet another battery supplier.