Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Elon-gives-us-magic-pearls-and-the-swine-promply-complain thread :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right on schedule, magical self driving robot car is unveiled and we have:

Can't believe it is up to $8000 if you want full self driving support

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 9.11.34 PM.png

There are lot's of different ways of looking at it.

Perspective A: You're getting a ton of expensive hardware whether you spend that extra $8K or not. As I understand it all the hardware is on the car regardless if you pay that extra money. So someone who only wants the active safety features is essentially get all that hardware at no extra cost. I'm not sure Tesla is really racking it in if you average it out based on how many people pay either $5K/$8K or elect to wait it out. I'd probably spend $5K for the main package, and then wait till later on to add the full one when regulatory issues get settled out. You can say $5K is a lot money, but I can barely buy a computer with that same card for less than $2500 not to mention all the cameras and sensors. There is no money being made on $5K. This isn't milking people for money.

Perspective B: That Tesla is making an art form of taking money from people before delivering. Just how much money can they milk from the cow? Especially considering it might not be possible to really get anywhere close to what's promised. There is huge difference between saying it can do something versus it actually happening.

Perspective C: You're going to do WHAT??? This is my reaction because I'm a hardware engineer. Management everywhere loves the idea of software being magical. Where you can release hardware and than 3-6 month later release the software to fully utilize that hardware. It drives us hardware engineers nuts, and the software always seems to be massively late. The vast majority of people underestimate how hard software is.

Perspective B: That Tesla is making an art form of taking money from people before delivering. Just how much money can they milk from the cow? Especially considering it might not be possible to really get anywhere close to what's promised. There is huge difference between saying it can do something versus it actually happening.

They already have a demo basically ready to go.. you paint this as a regular thing for Tesla. When have they under-delivered on a promise involving a cash transaction?

Been here longer than you bud. Go ahead, show them examples.

I assumed from the 48 message count that you were new, and just didn't experience all the debates about the 85 battery size or about the promised performance of the P85D.

Tesla Sued by Norway Car Owners as Speed Not Insane Enough

But, now as you pointed out you're not new here. You're just not that interested so that's what you haven't been keeping up.

And why ask me? I already said from my post that I wasn't of that perspective, but that I was aware of that perspective from some people.

Last edited:
Thanks for quoting me out of context! It's always fun. Double fun when the very next line of my post makes it clear I was not complaining.

I clearly meant that I ordered a car with AP1, with no expectation of AP2. So when I put my order in, Tesla told me I'd be able to use AP the day I got it (or after it calibrated). However, now I'm on Elon time to see when my brand new car can do AP1 things. I have no faith that will be in December.

If it doesn't happen in December, just to check, how many months of having a car with a $3,000 option on it that is totally broken and not working do I have to go though before I'm allowed to be annoyed?

Sorry for pissing you off though.

Last edited:
Thanks for quoting me out of context! It's always fun. Double fun when the very next line of my post makes it clear I was not complaining.

I clearly meant that I ordered a car with AP1, with no expectation of AP2. So when I put my order in, Tesla told me I'd be able to use AP the day I got it (or after it calibrated). However, now I'm on Elon time to see when my brand new car can do AP1 things. I have no faith that will be in December.

If it doesn't happen in December, just to check, how many months of having a car with a $3,000 option on it that is totally broken and not working do I have to go though before I'm allowed to be annoyed?

Sorry for pissing you off though.

So you would be happier to have your car with AP1.0? Is that what you're saying?

If you really just want the L5 Full Monte autonomy don't pay the $8000. You're likely to able to add it for that price at any time.

Paying the $8000 up front is for the gradual reveal. What cool new things can my car do today?

Why own the only genuine self driving capable car on the market and not pay to enable it?

Tesla gets the data it needs either way and I suspect most customers will opt to pay up when the cool stuff starts coming out and everybody wants to see it.

Does anybody want a self driving Porsche 911? or how about a self driving Mclaren? I didn't think so. So why would you want a self driving Tesla? This car is meant to be driven...

Do you have one? I ask that because the experience of having it changes driving.

Sure it's meant to be driven, but when you're on a long trip it's nice to turn the driving over for a bit.

On a trip the 911 will beat you up a bit (although not as bad as a Cayman), and I can't see driving a Mclaren on a long trip.

The S/X are road trip warriors. They just own a road trip, but a big part of that is AP.