Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The elusive blind spot chime

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have blind spot cameras and blind spot chime enabled. When I signal to change lanes, the camera comes up, but no chime when there is a car occupying the adjacent lane. Does the chime only sound when I actually steer into the occupied lane? Has anyone actually heard this chime when changing lanes?

I have blind spot cameras and blind spot chime enabled. When I signal to change lanes, the camera comes up, but no chime when there is a car occupying the adjacent lane. Does the chime only sound when I actually steer into the occupied lane? Has anyone actually heard this chime when changing lanes?

I believe it will only chime if you actively move into the lane where a car is present in your blind spot.

I believe it will only chime if you actively move into the lane where a car is present in your blind spot.

Yep, I've had it activate before and it also tries to prevent you from moving into the lane. It only happens if you are actively moving into that lane. Tesla does not have a warning or chime that activates simply from a car being in your blind spot.

Reactions: trisk
90% drivers do not know how to adjust mirrors to cover "blind spot". Mirror is the only safe device you can rely on before changing lane. None of the blind spot monitors in the market is good. If the car in other lane travels very fast, your blind spot monitor warning is too late .
Heard this, tried this, can't do it. I simply can't get used to my mirrors being angled out that far and I've tried forcing myself to drive that way for a couple weeks. I find it too valuable to use my side mirrors to include somewhat of a rear view. To each his own.

90% drivers do not know how to adjust mirrors to cover "blind spot". Mirror is the only safe device you can rely on before changing lane. None of the blind spot monitors in the market is good. If the car in other lane travels very fast, your blind spot monitor warning is too late .
I'm sure you always feel that back up cameras are worthless too. The sensors used for blind spot monitors on cars are all pretty good at picking up cars in your blind spot and especially motorcycles. The mirror is not the "only safe device you can rely on before changing lanes", turning your head and looking is better than relying on your mirror.

Reactions: Blackbart
I'll agree with adjusting the mirrors. The best way to adjust them is to find a time when you're at a stoplight with cars in both lanes behind you. Look in your center mirror and note the last car you can see in the adjacent lane. Now adjust your mirror on that side so it overlaps the center mirror by just a bit. You'll find that the side mirrors cover the blind spot perfectly. If you turn your head to look in the mirror then the car will be entering your peripheral vision as it leaves the field of view in the mirror. (another method I've read but haven't tried is to put your head against the door glass and adjust the mirror so you can just see the side of the car.)

I've had my mirrors adjusted like this for 30 years and find it far safer.

Tesla's blind spot camera system is all they could do with their hardware but is mostly worthless, IMO. It forces you to look away from the road, down at the screen, particularly so when merging left which is also where your blind spot is biggest. The angle and field of view of the cameras is difficult to visualize and adjust to and the image is regularly blocked by your hand on the wheel. The glare from the blinker also makes it virtually useless at night There's a reason that the only other carmaker that used this system phased it out a few years ago. There's not much else Tesla could do without changing hardware, so I can't blame them for it, but it's not very helpful, either.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Blackbart and GeoG
Yep, I've had it activate before and it also tries to prevent you from moving into the lane. It only happens if you are actively moving into that lane. Tesla does not have a warning or chime that activates simply from a car being in your blind spot.
Well, there is actually a warning, the screen indicates with yellow and red lines if there is a car in your blind spot.

I'll agree with adjusting the mirrors. The best way to adjust them is to find a time when you're at a stoplight with cars in both lanes behind you. Look in your center mirror and note the last car you can see in the adjacent lane. Now adjust your mirror on that side so it overlaps the center mirror by just a bit. You'll find that the side mirrors cover the blind spot perfectly. If you turn your head to look in the mirror then the car will be entering your peripheral vision as it leaves the field of view in the mirror. (another method I've read but haven't tried is to put your head against the door glass and adjust the mirror so you can just see the side of the car.)

I've had my mirrors adjusted like this for 30 years and find it far safer.

Tesla's blind spot camera system is all they could do with their hardware but is mostly worthless, IMO. It forces you to look away from the road, down at the screen, particularly so when merging left which is also where your blind spot is biggest. The angle and field of view of the cameras is difficult to visualize and adjust to and the image is regularly blocked by your hand on the wheel. The glare from the blinker also makes it virtually useless at night There's a reason that the only other carmaker that used this system phased it out a few years ago. There's not much else Tesla could do without changing hardware, so I can't blame them for it, but it's not very helpful, either.
All true - but they could simply highlight the adjacent lane in amber in the (mostly useless) visualization if the lane is not clear . You could see that in your peripheral vision without even taking your eyes off the road. And in that sense it would be better even than the mirror arrows (which in my experience are very reliable and useful). Could even add a toggle for a haptic enhancement and/or a chime. Clearly the tech supports this level of information as demonstrated by the auto lane change capability. But forgetting that - plenty of much less tech-loaded cars provide consistently accurate and easy to interpret blind spot info to drivers. It is a huge safety enhancement and clearly not that difficult.

Properly adjusted mirrors are great. But just cause you wear your seatbelt doesn’t mean you can’t benefit from airbags as well.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Well, there is actually a warning, the screen indicates with yellow and red lines if there is a car in your blind spot.
That is true but I don’t know about you - my experience has been that it’s way too unpredictable and inconsistent to be something I rely on - in fact I don’t really pay any attention to it.

Conversely drive a newer Hyundai or any BMW or (name a brand) and in all those cases my experience has been the blind spot monitoring is very very reliable and (when turned on) impossible to miss or misunderstand. It just seems that with all the tech - Tesla could work up something equally useful (or likely better!).

Twice now the car has beeped when I have my turn signal on and am planning to move into a lane where a car is in my blind spot. I didn't go through with the lane change maneuver so don't know if it would have steered away but it beeped right at the correct moment to be of benefit. LOVED it. That plus the blind spot pop up mirror are really great add-ons.