TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

THE ELUSIVE NEMA 14-30

Discussion in 'Want to Buy' started by Tico, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Tico

Tico Member

It's a very long shot but I'm looking for the hard to find Tesla NEMA 14-30 adapter.

There has to be someone out there that has a spare or one they want to offload!

I've already checked with my service center and they are all out.

Thanks in advance everyone!

2. roblab

roblab Active Member

If you have a friend who understands a little about electricity, or if you do, you can make your own. The wiring is the same as for the 14-50. I would still use #6 wire (6-3 w/g). Cost: should be less than $50. You don't need a long run, so a foot or two of wire would do it. I'd sell you mine, but I'm too lazy to go out and buy parts and make another. Se la vie.

BUT remember that your car can't tell you aren't using a 50 amp circuit and will overload and trip your circuit. You must manually set it, and check it every time, to make sure it is drawing at 24 amps.

• Like x 1
  3. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

Another option might be to purchase a second 14-50 adapter from the Tesla store, then cut off the neutral prong with a hacksaw so the remaining three prongs fit into the 14-30 receptacle. Or you can buy a pre-made adapter from evseadapters.com. But...

This risk is exactly why the DIY solutions are inferior to Tesla's 14-30 adapter, which appropriately limits the charging current. I'll bet you'd have some second thoughts about selling your Tesla-made adapter, even if it were super easy and cheap to make a homebuilt adapter yourself, because you'd be giving up that functionality.

I wish I'd bought one before they inexplicably stopped selling them. :(

4. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

If your want to make one yourself, just start with a pre-made dryer cord.

• Like x 1
  5. p85lover/owner

How much would you be welling to pay?

6. Tico

Tico Member

$55+shipping.

7. Tico

Tico Member

Thanks for the recommendation. I just picked up my Model S so they were already discontinued. Bummer.

8. Tico

Tico Member