Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

THE ELUSIVE NEMA 14-30

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a very long shot but I'm looking for the hard to find Tesla NEMA 14-30 adapter.

There has to be someone out there that has a spare or one they want to offload!

I've already checked with my service center and they are all out.

Thanks in advance everyone!

It's a very long shot but I'm looking for the hard to find Tesla NEMA 14-30 adapter.

There has to be someone out there that has a spare or one they want to offload!

I've already checked with my service center and they are all out.

Thanks in advance everyone!

If you have a friend who understands a little about electricity, or if you do, you can make your own. The wiring is the same as for the 14-50. I would still use #6 wire (6-3 w/g). Cost: should be less than $50. You don't need a long run, so a foot or two of wire would do it. I'd sell you mine, but I'm too lazy to go out and buy parts and make another. Se la vie.

BUT remember that your car can't tell you aren't using a 50 amp circuit and will overload and trip your circuit. You must manually set it, and check it every time, to make sure it is drawing at 24 amps.

Reactions: Tico
If you have a friend who understands a little about electricity, or if you do, you can make your own. The wiring is the same as for the 14-50. I would still use #6 wire (6-3 w/g). Cost: should be less than $50. You don't need a long run, so a foot or two of wire would do it. I'd sell you mine, but I'm too lazy to go out and buy parts and make another. Se la vie.
Another option might be to purchase a second 14-50 adapter from the Tesla store, then cut off the neutral prong with a hacksaw so the remaining three prongs fit into the 14-30 receptacle. Or you can buy a pre-made adapter from evseadapters.com. But...

BUT remember that your car can't tell you aren't using a 50 amp circuit and will overload and trip your circuit. You must manually set it, and check it every time, to make sure it is drawing at 24 amps.
This risk is exactly why the DIY solutions are inferior to Tesla's 14-30 adapter, which appropriately limits the charging current. I'll bet you'd have some second thoughts about selling your Tesla-made adapter, even if it were super easy and cheap to make a homebuilt adapter yourself, because you'd be giving up that functionality.

I wish I'd bought one before they inexplicably stopped selling them. :(

Another option might be to purchase a second 14-50 adapter from the Tesla store, then cut off the neutral prong with a hacksaw so the remaining three prongs fit into the 14-30 receptacle. Or you can buy a pre-made adapter from evseadapters.com. But...

This risk is exactly why the DIY solutions are inferior to Tesla's 14-30 adapter, which appropriately limits the charging current. I'll bet you'd have some second thoughts about selling your Tesla-made adapter, even if it were super easy and cheap to make a homebuilt adapter yourself, because you'd be giving up that functionality.

I wish I'd bought one before they inexplicably stopped selling them. :(
Thanks for the recommendation. I just picked up my Model S so they were already discontinued. Bummer.