Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The employees are the company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one thinks that working at a groundbreaking company is the place to be if you want work/life balance, a regular pat on the head and assurance that you are a special boy or girl, but the way Tesla is treating their employees is appalling. Hiring lots of people at Fremont and then laying them off, eliminating positions and then asking those that remain to do more work or work longer hours, and letting the most senior people go because they are more expensive is bad policy. It will just make the UAW will look more appealing and unionization just makes things worse and costs higher. That is why the foreign OEMs with plants in the US go to great lengths to avoid it. Sleeping on the factory floor is impressive theater but keeping employees motivated and having the best interests of the company at heart requires treating them with respect and giving them a say in how things go. The treatment of the salespeople is equally troublesome. Letting them learn that most of the stores will be closing by social media and then cutting their bonuses rather than just letting them go is seen as underhanded and weak. It will convert people who worked hard for the company to people who don't have good things to say about it. The revolving door management style that has resulted in the loss of too many talented people also speaks to an unsatisfactory work environment. Maybe the best solution would be to make Tesla a " Designed in California " company, concentrate on sales and service in the US - including keeping a sufficient number of stores open, and build the cars at Gigafactories in China.

I went to the Buena Park Service Center yesterday and many of the, actually all of the people, who knew me by name were gone. I left without someone being able to reset my Tesla Slacker account, and had mixed feelings about the people excitedly climbing around demo units and taking test drives.

While 78% of people may buy online, as I did, it wasn’t until after I had sat in a Model 3 at the Brea mall that I ordered online. The mall stores are necessary. They are upscale and they create a positive brand image. People will see Tesla stores closing as Tesla going under, not that they are making a smart pivot.

Reactions: electricar
I went to the Buena Park Service Center yesterday and many of the, actually all of the people, who knew me by name were gone. I left without someone being able to reset my Tesla Slacker account, and had mixed feelings about the people excitedly climbing around demo units and taking test drives.

While 78% of people may buy online, as I did, it wasn’t until after I had sat in a Model 3 at the Brea mall that I ordered online. The mall stores are necessary. They are upscale and they create a positive brand image. People will see Tesla stores closing as Tesla going under, not that they are making a smart pivot.
I really agree, but at the end of the day even you have the best product, for a buyer price mater, so you might have to make drastic decisions.

Other car makers still have fossils cars for making profit, but for Tesla EV is their sole product, and they lost the tax credit incentive.
Also there are potentials competitors coming to the market.

I believe that instead of having show rooms, the effort will be to create new service centers.
And at least, Tesla doesn't (have to) pay for TV advertising.

Last edited:
I really agree, but at the end of the day even you have the best product, for a buyer price mater, so you might have to make drastic decisions.

Other car makers still have fossils cars for making profit, but for Tesla EV is their sole product, and they lost the tax credit incentive.
Also there are potentials competitors coming to the market.

I believe that instead of having show rooms, the effort will be to create new service centers.
And at least, Tesla doesn't (have to) pay for TV advertising.
Agree mostly. At some point Apple will have to close stores too, of course they will be able to negotiate their leases down, and down again as they are a strong anchor for most malls. I hope Tesla actually does this where possible too.