Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The End of Public HPCs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I´ve counted the Roadsters spotted in Holland (Autogespot - Exclusieve auto's gespot door jullie! ) and there are about 45 different registrations there. There were some where the licence plates were hidden so I didn´t count those. That said, I think 150 is a lot of Roadsters. Germany had 100 Roadsters last year and there are more than a few in Scandinavia.
That's what they told me. Don't forget, in 2011 about 30 Roadsters got imported into NL.

The representative might have overdone it a bit, make it about 100 roadsters.

@ernst: There are definitely more then 50 Roadsters in NL.

I'm surprised that all (or almost all) the HPCs were switched to J1772 before an official Tesla solution is even offered. Seems pointless to me as the Leaf has essentially a trickle charger and I think it's safe to say most Volt owners aren't going to make a stop just to charge the battery.

Maybe this situation will make Tesla push the J1772 adapter a bit quicker now.

I have been thinking about this. I think it sends a really bad message to potential adopters of EVs. "We may imperiously, without notice, warning or even post-publicity remove unique infrastructure that you depend on, reducing the functional value of your vehicle."

Today it's the Roadster, in two years maybe it's CHAdeMO - after all there will be a shiny new SAE standard which the CHAdeMO stations might well be upgradeable to. There goes all the functional value that you've grown to expect from your LEAF.

I think 1990s EV drivers have experienced similar things, but I had assumed things would be managed better for this generation.

And the 1990s generation got a decade out of theirs before things started to change...

It was really a grassroots/volunteer effort that kept many of them going. Without maintenance/repair they invariably end up broken over time.
Plus business owners and other interests had their eyes on those spaces, and had to be encouraged/reminded to leave them operational.
Someone really needs to own/champion the spaces or they go derelict or get re-purposed.

I have been thinking about this. I think it sends a really bad message to potential adopters of EVs. "We may imperiously, without notice, warning or even post-publicity remove unique infrastructure that you depend on, reducing the functional value of your vehicle."

Today it's the Roadster, in two years maybe it's CHAdeMO - after all there will be a shiny new SAE standard which the CHAdeMO stations might well be upgradeable to. There goes all the functional value that you've grown to expect from your LEAF.

I think 1990s EV drivers have experienced similar things, but I had assumed things would be managed better for this generation.

This whole mess is Tesla's fault, they really dropped the ball here.

They had to pick their own plug to start building Roadsters, but the J1772 spec was final in January of 2010. It's not like this caught Tesla by surprise: they started with the old J1772-2000 spec, extended it to allow charging up to 80A, then lobbied the J1772 committee to take their extension, which they did. Tesla got everything they wanted, except for their crazy expensive plug.

It's ludicrous that Tesla has persisted in continuing to build cars for the US with a proprietary plug, turning the Roadster into a legacy EV instead of being the first to bring out a J1772-compatible vehicle. By continuing to build and sell not only Roadsters but also HPCs and UMCs with their obsolete plug, they have made the problem worse for themselves and their US customers. We're now 15 months past the point where there was an established EVSE standard in the US, fully compatible with Tesla's vehicles except for their obsolete plug. Tesla has an adapter, and yet they are still jerking us around by refusing to even tell us about it.

What's the big secret? Are they waiting until they have enough inventory that every Roadster owner can order one on day 1? Are they waiting until they have enough to send one to every owner as a free gift? Is the adapter a distraction while they are really working on providing a conversion option so we no longer have to carry adapters around in our trunks or worry about them getting stolen when charging at the mall?

Meanwhile, Tomsax already solved the "problem" for himself (by home-brewing a J1772 socket on his Roadster), but is speaking on behalf of basically all other non-European Roadster owners now! (As I would assume European Roadster owners would prefer Mennekes over J1772.)

No - as long as the Roadster is single phase then we want 1772 on it as well.

Europe is getting both systems. It's a mess and I think Nissan has been lobbying too. But if the car has 1772 then we can carry a Mennekes<>1772 cable and use both systems (using that cable at a Mennekes EVSE and using the hardwired cable on a 1772 EVSE).

Of course this is not the same with Model S with its bigger battery. There you want to make use of Mennekes' 3 phase capability to the max. Basically Tesla aren't going to redesign the Roadster PEM now though.

This whole mess is Tesla's fault, they really dropped the ball here.

Fully agree with Tom, Tesla has been building cars with an expensive proprietary plug when it was clear it would be quickly replaced with the J1772 plug. To me this is Tesla's BIGGEST mistake. And if their solution does end-up being an adapter cable that leaves the J1772 plug sitting on the floor, that will be their second biggest mistake. To me, an adapter cable is a half-assed solution which will be ridiculed in the media. Once the standard was finalized and parts became available, they should have quickly transition all cars in production to J1772 and then started offering upgrades to current owners.

I now understand that the Rabobank HPCs along Highway 101 have been upgraded to J1772. Does that mean the only remaining public HPC in California not at a Tesla store is the one at Harris Ranch?

Ironically, it's starting to sound like the largest collection of public HPCs that still have the Tesla connector is centered around Seattle, my home turf. :eek:

Whoa! I didn't expect that. I thought Rabobank was somewhat of a Tesla exclusive. Well, maybe it is a sign that Tesla is actually committed to getting everyone going on J1772 in a hurry?

If anyone needs a charge in San Luis Obispo, CA along the 101 corridor I live just outside of town. I have (5) Nema 14-50 outlets at my home. Call my cell phone ...

Last edited by a moderator: