Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The environment and our emissions - who cares?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with Powershop? Can you tell me if the Tesla can be called "Controlled Load" if you set it to start charging during the off-peak?? Cos if so, it seems the Model S will cost 70cents per day to run (plus connection fee which I pay anyway). Or $1.12 if I use pure green power. Freaking amazing!!

I think a controlled load needs to be connected to a dedicated circuit that only provides power at off peak times. I am not sure if connecting an EV charger to this type of circuit is permitted but don't see why it wouldn't be.

I think a controlled load needs to be connected to a dedicated circuit that only provides power at off peak times. I am not sure if connecting an EV charger to this type of circuit is permitted but don't see why it wouldn't be.

I think an EVSE such as the Tesla HPWC can be because it is hard wired. I think it is normal sockets that can't be supplied off a controlled load.

The major downside (unless you have two HPWC units) is that it can only be used to charge for the time the controlled load is active and therefore you couldn't top up during the day if you needed to in an emergency.

I think an EVSE such as the Tesla HPWC can be because it is hard wired. I think it is normal sockets that can't be supplied off a controlled load.

The major downside (unless you have two HPWC units) is that it can only be used to charge for the time the controlled load is active and therefore you couldn't top up during the day if you needed to in an emergency.
Thanks very much guys- I think you are probably right- I'll get the HPWC connected as a controlled load and then could use the wall charger as a last-ditch source if I need to charge a bit outside those times.
I'll do some maths first...