Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The environment and our emissions - who cares?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I care!

Powershop put me on the EV special as an existing customer; just ask, they will oblige. I just had to send a picture of my car to prove it was an EV.

In regards to the 6c/kWh green question, here's a quote a powershop rep put on whirlpool:

I appreciate your disappointment, but the reality is that the wholesale price of LGCs has increased a lot since we last set the price (which we haven't changed since we started operating). We're absorbing this increase in terms of the mandatory LGC component (ie: for non-GreenPower), but for voluntary GreenPower we're passing it through. We attempted to explain it at Changes to our GreenPower Pricing | Powershop Australia News and Blog Archive

You can get an indication of wholesale LGC prices from Mercari and you can see that the Cal 15 LGCs are around $55 each at the moment. When you add GST that's 6.05c/kWh for 100% GreenPower. That is, we're still charging customers less than what it costs us to provide 100% GreenPower. The wholesale price moves around a bit, and we ideally wouldn't change our retail price for GreenPower more often than once every 12 months, so we've set it at what we hope will be close to wholesale for the next year. If we'd left it at 4.95c inc. GST we'd be paying 18% of each customer's GreenPower costs, out of our pocket (effectively out of non-GreenPower customers' pockets).

We're not bad guys, and we didn't do this for the fun of it, but take comfort in the fact that the rising LGC price reflects a higher market demand for renewable energy.

Looking closer at switching to Powershop now as Model S draws closer.

Can someone shed some light on the 6c/kWh extra payable to ensure you are using 'renewable energy'.
I import about 3300 kWh per year so about $200 extra with the 6c premium.

• Does this go toward renewable energy certificates?
  • Will it always be 6c?
  • How did 'they' determine the 6c extra cost. (why not 7c or 5c)
  • As the grid gets greener will the 6c decrease to eventually 0c or more with Tony and his coal or has that nothing to do with it?
  • When the grid is 50% or more renewables will that extra cost still be warranted?
As you can tell I'm quite confused on how it all works. :confused:

This is what the green purchases say regarding what they actually do:

This product is a 100% GreenPower product incorporating Meridian Green which is accredited under the National GreenPower program, and all Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) used in this product are sourced from 100% GreenPower accredited generators.
If you purchase this product, for each unit used, we will voluntarily surrender a sufficient number of RECs sourced from our Mt Millar and Mt Mercer wind farms.

here's the great thing about electric cars - even if you don't care about where the electricity is generated, your vehicle will become greener automatically as the grid gets greener. That's why I'm so attracted to EVs as a "vehicle" to "drive" mass change. Oh man so many puns :D

here's the great thing about electric cars - even if you don't care about where the electricity is generated, your vehicle will become greener automatically as the grid gets greener. That's why I'm so attracted to EVs as a "vehicle" to "drive" mass change. Oh man so many puns :D

I totally agree Timpoo. I've just signed up with Powershop under this offer. Looking forward to using their cool looking app too.

I've been a Powershop user for almost 12 months now. I think the main advantage is for those who use a small amount of grid power. They have no connection charges, its all rolled into a single charge per kWhr. That means that the more power you use the higher your connection charge is. There are some good reasons why that should be the case, it does make charging the battery appear more expensive as you are paying the true cost (including a proportional connection charge) rather than just the cost per kWhr

I've been a Powershop user for almost 12 months now. I think the main advantage is for those who use a small amount of grid power. They have no connection charges, its all rolled into a single charge per kWhr. That means that the more power you use the higher your connection charge is. There are some good reasons why that should be the case, it does make charging the battery appear more expensive as you are paying the true cost (including a proportional connection charge) rather than just the cost per kWhr

A single rate yes, but the rate you pay depends upon your consumption. They spread the connection charge over the number of units you typically use. So the per kWh rate a high user pays is marginally lower than a low user.

When I ordered my Model S i decided to change to Powershop. I asked about the EV discount when I did the switch and they told me I would still qualify once my car arrived. I must say that dealing with Powershot has been a much better experience than my previous provider. I also have a 3.6 KW PV system on the roof, and I'm thinking that when the NSW feed-in-tarrif ends in Dec 2016 that I'll change back to Net metering and maybe add battery storage. Maybe a Tesla Powerwall.!!!

You should be able to request green power from any electricity retailer - this sends price signals through the electricity and REC markets in the "right" direction (if you believe that sustainable electricity is worth pursuing as a society). I'm getting mine through Origin, and so far I calculate that my Tesla is costing about $1.50 a day to run - with 100% green power

It's a complex picture... but the price premium for green power that Origin charge is 4c per kWh
September Costs.jpg

The energy chart is a bit easier to understand. Pretty much all the Tesla charging happens overnight, and about 90% of my off-peak use is the car. About 383kWh, $46.75 in basic electricity + $15.34 in green energy charges = $62 for about 1600km at 100% green with one of the more expensive energy providers.

September Electricity.jpg

Do 1600km in a Prius with a fuel efficiency of 4.7l/100km = $97.60 (@ $1.30 per litre), you've still paid the Saudis, kept the smog machine employed and had a miserable driving experience.

As a business argument, I agree, but unless you would otherwise be OFF-grid, then the connection cost is the connection cost independent of the Tesla, n'est pas??

The ironic situation is that if it were not for the Tesla charging requirements I probably could be off-grid by the end of the year when our new house is finished and we've added battery storage. I think that in the near future many other people will be in the same situation. I'm likely to take the house off-grid but keep the garage on-grid in which case the connection charges are real and should be factored into the running costs

My breakdown is similar.

I cover approx 800-1000Kms per week. Using a long term average of 210watts per km. Offpeak rate 0.095c/Kwhr. With only a rare exception always recharge in Off peak zone.

Green feed surcharge in my case is $16.16 and I add $1 per day for "services fee allowance".

So 1000kms at 210watt/Km avr. @ $0.01995 (power charge) PLUS $0.01616 (green feed) PLUS $0.001 (services fee allowance) Total $0.03711 Per Km. or $37.11 per calendar week.
In my previous life running ICU (Subaru) I was forking over $100+ per week. Thats $5200 per year vs $1930 either way an operating reduction of $3270 offsets and extra $980 for insurance costs and still leaves me $2290 ahead to put towards Model 3(s).

All in all very satisfying I can drive THE New-Age Supercar so cheaply and have such a long lifespan product... Its all about value not price.:biggrin:

I bought it for the way it drives, the effortless silent performance and the technology. Although I do have solar and in the current goldilocks weather we are having my nett grid consumption is close to zero even with charging the car, if only battery storage made financial sense I could add some more panels and be 'off grid' for 95% of the year.
I drive the wife's car today. First time driving a conventional car in about 3 weeks. I found myself laughing at how agricultural it was with the noise and vibration, the sluggish response to accelerator and having the engine stop at the lights and restart when you took your foot off the brake was a wierd feeling. I also had to learn what a brake pedal was again. Her car is an X5 so is by no means an unrefined slug, it just shows how much better an EV is.

Anyone with Powershop? Can you tell me if the Tesla can be called "Controlled Load" if you set it to start charging during the off-peak?? Cos if so, it seems the Model S will cost 70cents per day to run (plus connection fee which I pay anyway). Or $1.12 if I use pure green power. Freaking amazing!!

Last edited: