Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Environment Report - Tesla Motors Shoots for Big Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“And, well, actually we can’t produce them fast enough and we’re sold out through November of this year.”

Now, Tesla - at most - makes 30 vehicles a week.

I have been wondering about this. The sales rate of the Roadster seems to be about 2 a week. If they are building 30 a week... at some point they will catch up.

The amount sold we keep hearing is 1,200.

Even fudging these numbers significantly still has an end date.

Well, keep in mind that Tesla hasn't really done any advertising yet, just word of mouth and free media coverage. Up to now, that has been sufficient to keep the waiting list as long as it has been. It is possible that when the need arises to bump sales, a more traditional advertising campaign could accomplish that for Tesla.

Right. And then there are all the friends and co-workers of Tesla owners who will get to see firsthand what a sweet ride it is, and say "I've got to get one of these too!" So I guess I'm saying that word of mouth will still likely play a big role, even after more traditional advertising starts in earnest.

Last edited:
There are likely many potential owners who are not comfortable waiting for a car that long. Many people need to drive a vehicle and want to be able to take it home right away. Many are not comfortable paying a large deposit, then waiting 12 months or longer.

The market of customers, who will buy the same day, might be many times larger than 1,200.

But that will require Tesla Motors to build Roadsters on spec without having an owner waiting. That requires showrooms and marketing vehicles for test drives.