Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Evolution of Technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jack6591

May 11, 2013
California
Disclosures...

I suppose that age and time are relative matters, in April I’ll be 63 years of age, I feel old. In the spring of 1974, I enlisted in the US Navy’s “Advanced Electronics Program” and was sent to school to learn to repair Univac computer systems. These computers used transistorized discrete component technology and ferrite core memory. Released from the Navy during the winter of 1980, I went to work in the IBM mainframe industry working on water-cooled processors installed on raised computer floors, magnetic tape drives the size of refrigerators and disk drives with upwards of 300 megabytes of capacity. Throughout the 1980s I had a front row seat to the computer industry’s conversion to PCs and local area networks, to the explosion of the Internet. In 1989 I was dating a woman in Seattle with a cell phone she couldn’t fit in her purse. Today, I’m an electrical inspector with a utility — my associates at work denigrate solar power — much like IBM mainframe guys disparaged personal computers in the 80s.

My life experience has taught me that technology evolves. Much like biological evolution, survival of the fittest determines the technologies chosen. I have also witnessed computer hardware advances empowering software capabilities. The other incontrovertible reality of my lifetime is the acceleration of technological advancement.

My prediction, Tesla’s new autonomous driving hardware, will serve to exponentially accelerate the advancing full self driving capabilities of the Tesla fleet. Evolution takes time, but it is quickening. This will happen much sooner than many realize.

Reactions: CarlK and Nauti-Boy