Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The "Federally compliant for incentive" Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know how that works. I have a co-worker who had plates from Nova Scotia. He was pulled over a few times by police within a month of moving here and told to get the plates updated.
Really? Must have been ahole cops. As far I know you have 3 months, the amount of time it takes to get residency to get new plates. I drove around with SK plates for 3 months before getting my new plates here.

Reactions: bijan
I wonder if they sell enough software locked SR that it gets hacked and the range unlocked. That will be a heck of a deal. We know the software is already hacked so its just a matter of time.
If you want to void the warranty on your very expensive purchase, then by all means hack away. This isn't a phone you jailbrake/root and buy a new one if you mess it up...if you can afford that risk, why are you worried about saving a few thousand$?Just buy the SR+ or one of the LR models and be done with it :)

I ordered the SR before May 1st. I checked my account yesterday and they basically changed my price from 47600 to 44999 without notifying me by email which they usually do.

I was worried and emailed my advisor asking them so do I get the 354 range or the crippled 150 range version. I don't mind paying the old SR price but I do not want the crippled version.

He had to get back to me today... So fingers crossed....

I ordered the SR before May 1st. I checked my account yesterday and they basically changed my price from 47600 to 44999 without notifying me by email which they usually do.

I was worried and emailed my advisor asking them so do I get the 354 range or the crippled 150 range version. I don't mind paying the old SR price but I do not want the crippled version.

Not sure of the minutiae of the pricing details, but wouldn't it make more sense to pay 2.6k more and get 5k back for the SR+?

Not sure of the minutiae of the pricing details, but wouldn't it make more sense to pay 2.6k more and get 5k back for the SR+?
47600 (+ 1300 delivery + tax) was the old SR without AP. SR+ is/was 53700 (+ 1300 delivery + tax) and has AP included.

I think what he’s saying is he’d rather have the 47600 original 220 miles SR and get the federal incentive for that. If Tesla still had that on offer, I would’ve gotten it too.

It’s not $2.6k more, it’s $6.1k more from the old $47.6 SR to the new $53.7K SR plus. But you do get $4k of autopilot in there. So your paying $2.1k extra for features that would be in the car anyways excluding autopilot.

That would be best scenario is to get $5k off the old $47.6K SR.

But I’m not sure they would have given the federal rebate as it says on the website they’re are only 2 models eligible.

At the end of the day, all cars they will be selling in there price levels are SR+ , question is will they have the software limits in place for that will be robust enough. Plenty of stories coming out that most SR cars sold have not been limited. Tesla appears to be scrambling around with all these recent price changes an getting models aligned up.

47600 (+ 1300 delivery + tax) was the old SR without AP. SR+ is/was 53700 (+ 1300 delivery + tax) and has AP included.

I think what he’s saying is he’d rather have the 47600 original 220 miles SR and get the federal incentive for that. If Tesla still had that on offer, I would’ve gotten it too.

Oh, I didn't realize the original SR didn't come with AP at all.

Question for those who have ordered SR+: do you have to call tesla for this? Ordering online doesn't show anything of the 5k rebate even though a separate section of the tesla website mentions it, and it is on the TCanada website. Or is it a "surprise" discount when you take delivery?

The 44999 version is the one with crippled range, and that's the one that the rebate applies to. I dont see how you would get away with getting the rebate + paying the lower price + getting increased range. But that's all speculation until Tesla gets back to you.

But I think the other posters are right, if you want the range now you may be better off paying a bit more and going SR+. If you get SR(normal) at 47600 thats 53788 out the door (assuming that doesn't qualify for the rebate, which it shouldnt). If you get SR+ at 53700, add tax and take off the rebate and its 55681, that's a delta of 1893 after tax and everything for an SR+ which is well worth it IMHO. Especially if the SR doesn't come with AP and the SR+ does. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl
I am bias here as I want the old SR with the rebate but if you read the rules... It's the SR and SR plus purchases (which I confirmed means delivered) after May 1st apply. Which means the 47600 old SR which is still an SR should apply... The rebate makes no distinction to range but just model. And mine is the SR 2019.

It's almost like Tesla gave me a discount by giving me more range.

The analogy goes like the dealer you but a leaf also gave this one person extra 2000 discount, doesn't make that vehicle ineligible. It is technically still the same car. Even if you add a spoiler that cost extra which changes the actual car, that car should still apply for the rebate.

The old SR is the same as the new SR and the SR plus for that matter. Falls within the guidelines. So I don't see why not assuming Tesla makes that car still. My 3 cents

The 44999 version is the one with crippled range, and that's the one that the rebate applies to. I dont see how you would get away with getting the rebate + paying the lower price + getting increased range. But that's all speculation until Tesla gets back to you.

But I think the other posters are right, if you want the range now you may be better off paying a bit more and going SR+. If you get SR(normal) at 47600 thats 53788 out the door (assuming that doesn't qualify for the rebate, which it shouldnt). If you get SR+ at 53700, add tax and take off the rebate and its 55681, that's a delta of 1893 after tax and everything for an SR+ which is well worth it IMHO. Especially if the SR doesn't come with AP and the SR+ does. Just my $0.02.
SR+ qualifies for rebate because it's a trim of the SR. The way the rules are, the base trim needs to be under $45k, but the trim you buy can be up to $55k before options and fees. So because the SR exists and is under $45k, the SR+ qualifies for the rebate because it's just a different trim level and still under $55k.

Edit: Sorry, just realized you did point out the SR+ qualifies for the rebate, but I don't understand why the old SR wouldn't qualify, unless you mean because you would have had to buy it before when there was no rebate.

I think people are wondering is there still the original SR. Basically SR-, SR and SR+

Elon said on the earnings call that the SR will still be available for an indefinite time period.

If the $47,600 SR (~350 km range) model is still available for purchase, it should qualify for the $5k federal rebate. The existence of the $44,999 SR- (150 km range) model makes this possible. Interesting.

Reactions: Michelx and Gen3
SR+ qualifies for rebate because it's a trim of the SR. The way the rules are, the base trim needs to be under $45k, but the trim you buy can be up to $55k before options and fees. So because the SR exists and is under $45k, the SR+ qualifies for the rebate because it's just a different trim level and still under $55k.

Edit: Sorry, just realized you did point out the SR+ qualifies for the rebate, but I don't understand why the old SR wouldn't qualify, unless you mean because you would have had to buy it before when there was no rebate.

Old SR according to three different Tesla sales members from three different stores yesterday is off the table.

If the $47,600 SR (~350 km range) model is still available for purchase, it should qualify for the $5k federal rebate. The existence of the $44,999 SR- (150 km range) model makes this possible. Interesting.

So in theory then the $44,999 Model is redundant as it is just a paper version so the rebates can be qualified and used, or could you buy the $44,999 version if you wanted it?

I was told buy the $44,999 version but the car will be locked at 150km during entire ownership, no future range upgrade option will be allowed.

If my maths is right $44,999 plus TAX/Deliveries minus Federal and BC rebates car would be $41,698 for that very base 150km version.

Old SR according to three different Tesla sales members from three different stores yesterday is off the table.

That’s an odd stance. The $5k rebate doesn’t change Tesla’s margins on the $47,600 car. Granted, I totally get they make more money on the SR+, but Elon did say the $35k model would persist off menu. I guess the SR (and SR-) really are unicorns.