Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The first AP1 car upgraded to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Infotainment Upgrade

You need v2020.20.12 for it to work completely with AP1/0. I did the install myself rather than pay Tesla.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Congrats!

Not trying to trivialize your upgrade whatsoever, but curious to know what the benefit is for an AP1 car other than increased speed in map refreshes (I personally don't care about Youtube, Netflix etc).

For an AP1 car (like mine), MCU2 seems like overkill, but that's just me. :)

Since you did the install yourself, how much was the MCU2 on its own and how many hours did it take you to do the install? How complicated is it? I'm guessing your car is no longer under warranty?

Last edited:
For those asking about a guide:

The process is the same as if you're upgrading an AP2+ car to MCU2, and there's already tutorials written to do that like this excellent one by Kyle

I retrofit MCU2, IC2, Tuner2, and FSD Computer into my HW2.0 Car (just ignore the FSD upgrade part of the guide)

No one has done it for AP1 yet and Tesla themselves were not offering it because of the GPS issue that hasn't been fixed until recently with 2020.20.12. Now that it's fixed by Tesla in a software update, my car is finally whole again (with navigation)!

The cost is about $1500 for tuner, mcu2, ic2. It didn't take long to replace the components, maybe 30 minutes. The tuner took an extra 15 minutes. I didn't have root, so I had to enlist the help of someone near me to write to the EMMC directly using test probes (again, see Kyle's guide for info on that)

Congrats!

Not trying to trivialize your upgrade whatsoever, but curious to know what the benefit is for an AP1 car other than increased speed in map refreshes (I personally don't care about Youtube, Netflix etc).

Since you did the install yourself, how much was the MCU2 on its own and how many hours did it take you to do the install? How complicated is it? I'm guessing your car is no longer under warranty?

The benefits are described on Tesla's page better than I can explain:
Infotainment Upgrade

There's no benefit to the actual autopilot system if that's what you're asking

My car is still under full bumper-bumper warranty

The benefits are described on Tesla's page better than I can explain:
Infotainment Upgrade

There's no benefit to the actual autopilot system if that's what you're asking

My car is still under full bumper-bumper warranty
Thanks. Yes I've seen that page and the only benefit seems to be a more responsive UI. Virtually every other benefit is for AP2 and above cars (and there are quite a few of them).

No one has done it for AP1 yet and Tesla themselves were not offering it because of the GPS issue that hasn't been fixed until recently with 2020.20.12. Now that it's fixed by Tesla in a software update, my car is finally whole again (with navigation)!

what about the GPS did 2020.20.12 fix?

can we expect now that this fix is out that Tesla will start offering the MCU2 upgrade to AP1 cars?

Congrats!

For me, the single most important benefit is an EMMC that isn't designed to stop working at random.

what about the GPS did 2020.20.12 fix?

can we expect now that this fix is out that Tesla will start offering the MCU2 upgrade to AP1 cars?

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1270550487486672896

Yes we can expect it now

Any tips or tricks to report? did you change both MCU and IC? Was the install plug and play? Did you change tuner or just lose radio?

Yes plug and play. I changed tuner to tuner2 so I kept am/fm. My car has XM too but I didn't buy a tuner with XM, that's on my list. Tips tricks are reported in the other thread I posted, by Kyle

For me, the single most important benefit is an EMMC that isn't designed to stop working at random.

That's my favorite part

Reactions: Russell and Chaserr
We’re you able to order the parts direct from Tesla? I’m in MA and they are supposed to sell direct to consumers. Just wondering what the parts-only vs. install price tag would look like.

No I didn't buy new from Tesla, that would be far too expensive. I bought used on eBay. For smaller things like harnesses I bought from Tesla

Green indicated that it was going to need significant harness modifications/retrofits in AP0/1 cars, whereas AP2 MS or AP1 MX would be plug and play.

Was your experience different? Did you add the new antennas?

There's some repinning involved for the mcu2 retrofit with pre-facelift cars but it's trivial work. My car is facelift ap1 so everything was plug and play

Wow! Great news. My MCU1 died 2 weeks ago in my AP0 2013 p85+. I would love to do this. I'm no expert at all, but my car is out of commission until they get MCU2 out as I refuse to pay twice (once for repair and again to upgrade).

I don't know if v2020.20.12 made it on to the car before it died. Is that necessary, or can it be done after the install? Is there any way to determine what updates made it to the car with a dead mcu?

If I do wait for Tesla, do you think it would be possible to add tuner2 to it after they do the install?

Wow! Great news. My MCU1 died 2 weeks ago in my AP0 2013 p85+. I would love to do this. I'm no expert at all, but my car is out of commission until they get MCU2 out as I refuse to pay twice (once for repair and again to upgrade).

I don't know if v2020.20.12 made it on to the car before it died. Is that necessary, or can it be done after the install? Is there any way to determine what updates made it to the car with a dead mcu?

If I do wait for Tesla, do you think it would be possible to add tuner2 to it after they do the install?

It can definitely be updated to the right firmware after the mcu2 install

Yes, you can do a tuner2 to it after the mcu2 install as well