Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The first AP1 car upgraded to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow that's going to be some sour grapes for anyone who paid $2500 for the upgrade because their MCU1 died.

Like me. But I'm just upset at Tesla.

Just for reference my 2014 MS p85d MCU1 AP1 died while still under extended service agreement. Tesla came out and replaced it with an MCU2 last week.

Please post the work order because I'm skeptical it was actually MCU 2. That's awfully generous and unlike Tesla to upgrade and forgo 2500.

You have Netflix, YouTube and lost am/FM?

You would be the absolute first we have heard of. Fantastic news, which tells us MCU1 refurbished units are no longer being used AND MCU2 upgrades for AP1 cars should soon be availabile.
We don't know anything from such a small sample size other than this person got a MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade free under warranty. Speculating anything beyond that lacks enough data to be even relatively accurate. We need more data points and a larger sample size to conclude anything further.

It very well mean that that particular service center rep ordered the wrong replacement. It could mean they had a temporary supply issue with parts used to refurb MCU1 units and they issued a temporary MCU2 replacement contingency plan. See my previous post about how this may be good news but only if the trend continues.

It's bound to happen eventually but I'd be surprised if we were 100% in the MCU2 replacement phase already. It's also possible that the NHTSA investigation isn't going well for Tesla and they're making a more accelerated "voluntary" transition to the newer MCU as a result ahead of possibly being forced to do so. It's fun to speculate at this stage since it could benefit all of those with MCU1 but let's not get reckless in our speculations making it seem like it's fact.

But, again, I'd wait to proclaim the days of MCU1 replacements gone forever until we have a larger sample size.

Reactions: GSP
I’m a fairly new owner of a June 2016 Model S, P90D. I love the car. I get 247 miles of range on a full charge (which is plenty adequate for me, and it appears I’ll actually get more but haven’t tested it yet). I’m reading about these upgrades but aside from the new feature set (YouTube and Caraoke) not 100% sure what benefit it brings.

About 1/3 of the time when I get in the car, the instrument cluster is blank. I have to wait somewhere from ~3 to maybe 8 or 10 seconds for that screen to “boot up” (shows the Tesla logo shortly and then functions like normal). The large center screen is always immediately operational. Would performing this upgrade eliminate that? Is this normal or a sign of something dying?

I’m a fairly new owner of a June 2016 Model S, P90D. I love the car. I get 247 miles of range on a full charge (which is plenty adequate for me, and it appears I’ll actually get more but haven’t tested it yet). I’m reading about these upgrades but aside from the new feature set (YouTube and Caraoke) not 100% sure what benefit it brings.

About 1/3 of the time when I get in the car, the instrument cluster is blank. I have to wait somewhere from ~3 to maybe 8 or 10 seconds for that screen to “boot up” (shows the Tesla logo shortly and then functions like normal). The large center screen is always immediately operational. Would performing this upgrade eliminate that? Is this normal or a sign of something dying?

yes

This is normal behavior, as the car has gone to sleep. Sometimes you will even get the message, "Please wait while systems are powering up" (or something to that effect). MCU failures are when the large display start showing gibberish, crashing, or locking up.

Welcome to the club, I'm certain that Performance is a blast!

So far... yeah. Boots up faster every time I’ve gotten in the car.

This is normal behavior, as the car has gone to sleep. Sometimes you will even get the message, "Please wait while systems are powering up" (or something to that effect). MCU failures are when the large display start showing gibberish, crashing, or locking up.

Welcome to the club, I'm certain that Performance is a blast!

It sure is fun! It’s good to know this is normal behavior and not a bad sign. I suspect I’ll run with this as is, but should it need replacing down the line I’ll do the MCU2 upgrade when I replace it.

It was the NOLA SC. I should have mentioned it was a third party extended warranty. I only paid $250 deductible. I’ll try to get the invoice but I signed everything electronically and the link in my email to the invoice is no longer working. If I get the invoice I’ll be happy to post it.

Attachments

• B8BD644E-1006-42FC-AFA3-506B7D4AF4F4.png
    B8BD644E-1006-42FC-AFA3-506B7D4AF4F4.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 160