Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The first AP1 car upgraded to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 Model S P90D with AP1. My service center offered me either the upgrade to MCU2 for $2500 or to replace the daughterboard with a 64GB chip for $334.50.

Would you do the daughterboard or just the bite the bullet and get the $2500 MCU2 upgrade even though with an AP1 car you don't get some of the benefit of the MCU2 upgrade and lose the radio.

Would I get any speed increase with the responsiveness of the screen and voice commands with just the daughterboard upgrade?

I have a 2016 Model S P90D with AP1. My service center offered me either the upgrade to MCU2 for $2500 or to replace the daughterboard with a 64GB chip for $334.50.

Would you do the daughterboard or just the bite the bullet and get the $2500 MCU2 upgrade even though with an AP1 car you don't get some of the benefit of the MCU2 upgrade and lose the radio.

Would I get any speed increase with the responsiveness of the screen and voice commands with just the daughterboard upgrade?

I thought I read that Tesla was now offering a radio option for the mcu2 upgrade for AP1 cars. It was $500! Still, it might be worth it for some people. Everybody seems to think you can get everything via the Internet now so, questionable value.

At 220,000 mi my screen finally went dead on my December 2014 build. I didn't get to choose the Apu2 (not in stock yet), but was struggling with the thought. Now, I think I'd stick with the old system. there's just not enough advantage in the new one for us poor AP1 people. unless, of course, the web could actually be searched! It is still useless on my new screen.

If I add $500 for the radio upgrade - then $3K for the MCU2 vs.$335 for the daughterboard for an AP1 car.
Leaning towards the daughterboard and maybe get a model X when they do the refresh -- in 2022?

But does anyone know if the daughterboard upgrade helps with voice commands and speed of screen rendering or just more preventative for MCU1 not to crash or die in the future?

If I add $500 for the radio upgrade - then $3K for the MCU2 vs.$335 for the daughterboard for an AP1 car.
Leaning towards the daughterboard and maybe get a model X when they do the refresh -- in 2022?

But does anyone know if the daughterboard upgrade helps with voice commands and speed of screen rendering or just more preventative for MCU1 not to crash or die in the future?
I upgraded, voice commands are great improvement and screen rendering is excellent.

I'm not even sure it helps a lifespan of the MCU1. It certainly didn't, in my car, make any difference as to speed in anything. But then they replaced the entire unit for me. Didn't have the daughter board option yet. They did give me a new screen as well, which is seems high resolution, but maybe simply better contrast. I do like that!

So I spent nearly 1,500 00 to get what you're going to get for less than $400. I for one think it's a great deal. And I'm in the same boat as you, I hope to buy a new vehicle. Although I think it's just going to be a cybertruck. Don't have any real need for the sedan anymore.

I'm not even sure it helps a lifespan of the MCU1. It certainly didn't, in my car, make any difference as to speed in anything. But then they replaced the entire unit for me. Didn't have the daughter board option yet. They did give me a new screen as well, which is seems high resolution, but maybe simply better contrast. I do like that!

So I spent nearly 1,500 00 to get what you're going to get for less than $400. I for one think it's a great deal. And I'm in the same boat as you, I hope to buy a new vehicle. Although I think it's just going to be a cybertruck. Don't have any real need for the sedan anymore.
You most likely got a reman or new MCU1 that still has the same low-quality 8 GB eMMC chip.

The part description of the daughterboard replacement shows "64 GB" on an invoice though some have suspected it's really "64 Gb" (gigabit) rendered in all caps.
If your MCU was replaced with a remanufactured unit, the part description should have "REMAN" in it, but there are no further specifications as to what was actually done to "remanufacture" the part. I suppose Toolbox (or root) would be required to determine the eMMC size and condition.

I had my MCU1 and tuner upgraded today to the digital tuner and MCU2. I was going to try to do this on my own, but I had a difficult time trying to find the parts and I happened to bump into a tesla technician that said they could do the radios now for 500 extra, so I just let them do it. I also didn't have the LTE upgrade on my MCU1, so I could only get 3G and who knows how long AT&T will keep the 3G network active. I will say that I'm impressed with how much faster the MCU2 is. It's quite responsive!

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D