TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The First Canadian "Pack Swap" Road Trip

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Doug_G, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Here's a photo of me getting 100% charge in less than a minute:

IMG_2437.JPG

This pack swap was achieved by swapping the entire car. Or more accurately, swapping passengers and luggage from one car to the other.

How did this come about you ask? Well, my car was due for its annual service, and they wanted it in the service center because it had a pano roof issue (they replaced a motor). So they sent a Valet to Ottawa with a loaner S85, and he drove mine back.

While my car was gone, the need for a business trip through Montreal suddenly popped up. So I called up service and asked them if, instead of having the Valet bring my car back, could I simply bring the loaner in myself? Needless to say they were amenable - saves the Valet a round trip. Oh, and would you please give my car a 100% range charge?

This happy coincidence saved me quite a bit of charging time!

2. 772

772 Member

The future is here. :cool:

3. Roadrunner13

Roadrunner13 Member

Just looking at the pictures without reading the thread, I was wondering how you managed to get a battery swap there... :redface:

Looks like you were at the SC while my roadster was still there.
    I recognize the snow banks, container and ice ring of the parking lot!

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yes, I saw your Roadster through the window of the service bay.

And yes, the thread title is a joke. But sort-of accurate...

5. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

I was at the service center today -- complete with ice rink parking lot... I only saw the orange Sun Country Roadster Sport they have sitting in the showroom. It was verrry dirty. :)

Doug, your car looks nice and shiny compared to the loaner. :)

Mine goes in for service soon too, to replace all the rubber around the pano roof and the steering wheel click issue... but I'm waiting for the P85+ loaner to free. Supposedly it'll be ready for me in a couple weeks...

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I'm told the orange car is being sold, as it has fulfilled its mission (they still have the silver Roadster and white Model S).

It didn't stay that way! It returned home by way of Trois Rivieres, and was in Ogdensburg NY earlier today. Pretty dirty now! Man is it ever a nice car to drive on a road trip. Really looking forward to the Superchargers - that will perfect the experience.

I had the click fix too. My pano got a new motor, and one new door handle too. They fixed an issue with the frunk latch that I didn't know about - it was found during the annual inspection. They did a great job and everything is working very smoothly now.

Oddly enough I rode in that P85+ between Trois Rivieres and Shawinigan on Thursday.

7. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

Aha!

Now I know where that P85+ is!

It may be on loan for a while if Sly is driving it around while his car is being fixed...

:biggrin:

8. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

They mentioned somewhat of a long term fix... What's wrong with Sly's car?

9. pbrulott

pbrulott Member

10. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

What is the deal with the steering wheel click anyways? They fixed mine once and it's doing it again....

11. Steph_S

Steph_S CAN #312 VIN P06173

They fixed mine during my annual inspection.
    Maybe the bolts lost their torque, or the shim got loose...