Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The fit and finish on these cars is GARBAGE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one that finds humor in a person who spews as much negativity as you have done in this thread, only to conclude your rant with "If I buy another Tesla..."?

I'm not a Tesla cheerleader so I'm going to be fair. Yes, IF I buy another, I have three pending orders and have owned 3 so far. I will decide based on how thing go and if they actually start turning things around in specific areas. I'm not the president of the Tesla Owners club either but I give credit where credit is due.

Yes, I just traded in a 2017 Ghibli S with 8,900 miles. I also owned a 2014 535 prior to that. Why is this so hard for you to believe?
Yes, as soon as I rejected the first M3P the delivery center located another M3P identical to mine in Carlsbad. It was driven the next day to Marina Del Ray for delivery. I had to scramble with my bank and Tesla but the VIN was updated in my account within an hour.
So not only does this forum deem my criticisms as being "too picky" you're also trying to label me a liar. This is what I should expect from Tesla and their fan base?

You owned a Ghibli? :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I'm not a Tesla cheerleader so I'm going to be fair. Yes, IF I buy another, I have three pending orders and have owned 3 so far. I will decide based on how thing go and if they actually start turning things around in specific areas. I'm not the president of the Tesla Owners club either but I give credit where credit is due.

Based on your comments so far I would expect that it would be a long time before you would consider another Tesla. The fact that you can make those comments and then disclose that you have three pending orders for Tesla products is just hard to comprehend.

But if nothing else, it demonstrates why Tesla was the highest rated brand for overall consumer satisfaction by Consumer Reports. If you could have that bad of a taste in your mouth for Tesla and still have 3 Tesla vehicles on orders that is a pretty strong testament to brand loyalty.

Reactions: Reborn
I purchased 3 Model 3's in 2018 (and still own them all). None of them were perfect, but honestly after the first month you completely forget these "issues" even exist. If you really care that much, it's not hard to fix. All the adjustments on these panels are super easy to make. I had minor paint issues with one of them and Tesla fixed it post-delivery. I think it took them 3 days. Really not a big deal. Otherwise, the car is absolutely fantastic and I am much happier with it than my 2015 BMW M3 (which, FWIW, was also not flawless even when new).

I've also yet to spend a single $ on regular maintenance over a combined 50,000 miles.

• Love
Reactions: Reborn
OCR1 - your perspective seems fair, thanks for commenting constructively instead of dismissively. I’m definitely aware this is a big recurring topic.

In fact regarding prior research... I did a lot. I knew that the earlier years were very rough and ready with some quality items. But I repeatedly heard that the issues were way better With the latest model 3s. So when I ended up with one that had loads of issues, some severe, I thought it was reasonable to highlight that here because my prior research didn’t find as much to be concerned about, as my actual experience saw.

The wider debate about whether being picky is ok, seems overly emotive m to me. Some people have high expectations and I would say the overall Tesla package is great *because* of such high expectations - maybe from Elon Musk himself. Some have low expectations and settle for worse, but are usually happier people as low expectations is shown to be the key to a happy life!

There’s things I put up with to drive quite possibly one of the most technologically advanced mass market (read: not bespoke) on the planet so I’m putting my money where my mouth is. At the same time though every recommendation I make comes with a word (actually several words) of caution to temper your expectations if you’re coming over from a proper luxury car brand.

That being said: a big thank you goes out to those early adopters (especially the roadster crowd) who took a huge leap of faith on Tesla. They will improve and it will take time to do that but in order to do this we all need to do our part and be the squeaky wheel when we need to be.

Looking constructively to use the experience of people here.....
How badly would you worry about pinhead paint chips on the hood, on an otherwise great seeming new car? Based on what I’ve researched it seems that a 100% BMW level of quality is not realistic for a Tesla, so I’m thinking that these paint chips are pretty much just par for the course and I should accept them and get a car while I can as the factory is closed now.

How badly would you worry about pinhead paint chips on the hood, on an otherwise great seeming new car? Based on what I’ve researched it seems that a 100% BMW level of quality is not realistic for a Tesla, so I’m thinking that these paint chips are pretty much just par for the course and I should accept them and get a car while I can as the factory is closed now.
I drive nearly 30,000 highway miles a year so I’m no stranger to rock chips, bug splatters, or cracked windshields. Paint imperfections don’t bother me as much as poor body fitment (misaligned doors, panels, etc.) but even those can be overlooked to an extent..

Drivability and interior issues however drive me up a wall as thats where I spend a good chunk of my time. My latest gripe is due squeaks and rattles from the driveline so my next service appointment is over that.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
Based on your comments so far I would expect that it would be a long time before you would consider another Tesla. The fact that you can make those comments and then disclose that you have three pending orders for Tesla products is just hard to comprehend.

But if nothing else, it demonstrates why Tesla was the highest rated brand for overall consumer satisfaction by Consumer Reports. If you could have that bad of a taste in your mouth for Tesla and still have 3 Tesla vehicles on orders that is a pretty strong testament to brand loyalty.

It's not hard to comprehend. They are orders not contracts. As an example if the Y has many issues I will pass on it until they work it out and if they don't I won't buy it, not to mention the dart board pricing model at Tesla says wait to see what happens. I had the option of a founders car but I passed on that because there was no AWD at the time, another choice, Do not confuse brand loyalty to build quality. I know many people that have issues with their 3 and have had many service visits yet they do not give proper sores because "they don't want Tesla to look bad". So many people coddle the company in so many ways it's incredible, I have significant shares and it's not stopping me from exercising my right to resolution with them. In fact as a concerned shareholder I have the opportunity to make positive change rather than turning a blind eye. Do you know how may restaurants have crap food and customers that refuse to say anything because they are too afraid to offend the waiter or owner. This mentality does not let business improve. I know plenty of people inside the company and I can tell you parts of the company are really broken and clueless. I know many supervisors are hiding issues to protect their cost centers and reviews and many things get hidden. I hope they wake up sooner rather than later. People close to Elon are clueless, some are sheep afraid to call out issues. I know I have seen it first hand and it's beyond frustrating. Tesla makes a great product in many ways and they are completely broken on others and need a wake up and more mature competent people steering part of the ship.

I drive nearly 30,000 highway miles a year so I’m no stranger to rock chips, bug splatters, or cracked windshields. Paint imperfections don’t bother me as much as poor body fitment (misaligned doors, panels, etc.) but even those can be overlooked to an extent..

Drivability and interior issues however drive me up a wall as thats where I spend a good chunk of my time. My latest gripe is due squeaks and rattles from the driveline so my next service appointment is over that.

Curious what issues are they? On a funny note I have a nut or screw under my dash that rattles like hell on certain highways and curves, I know there is no way to find it and I'm sure they dropped it when they replaced my defective dashboard. I also have a new passenger seat that does not match the drivers in the foam firmness, completely different feel, far superior to the drivers side seat. I think they finally clued in to better foam.

Never seen that Tesla "patina" but if it's not really noticeable I would not worry. What about repair and can they do a hood swap? I heard of this being done before but not sure if they still do.

Overall reduction in smoothness from driveline is one of them but seems to come and go so it could be a software thing.

When driving with windows open though I hear a very distinct but faint rattling coming from the suspension at low speeds. When parking the control arms make squeaking noises not unlike a 20 year old GM car and don’t even get me started on the brake clatter.

This shouldn’t be an issue on a 24K mile car that isn’t being thrown around a track regularly.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
Never seen that Tesla "patina" but if it's not really noticeable I would not worry. What about repair and can they do a hood swap? I heard of this being done before but not sure if they still do.

yeah they mentioned a hood swap might be a possibility. I’m just wary of going down a rat hole and potentially just getting other issues after a swap. I’ll find out tomorrow what the options are I think

Hope OP gets his issues sorted out.

With high expectations often come great disappointments.

Point many are making is that lots of Tesla come out great. Some have issues. That is kind of the luck of the draw.
Many are not obsesses with panel fittment and paint purity. They enjoy the car just as it is delivered.

Currently buying a Tesla with expectations of great panel fittment and flawless paint is perhaps setting yourself up for failure.

For many of the same reasons, a person shopping for a Cadillac Escalade should not come to their forums and complain, with great emotion, that the car runs on smelly gasoline and they cannot refill inside their garage. Even a much less expensive can do that easily :)
If a little upstart tech company can produce cars like that, why cannot mammoth Cadillac do it, even after 100 years.

PS. A close inspection of Cadillac Escalades also can reveal paint issues, exposed poor welds, interior door hinges without paint and needing many trips to the shop over the first few years. Panel gaps are worse than Porsche, fuel economy is criminal, insurance is high, and dealerships don't fix flat tires for free :(

I was freaking out for the past week and a half as I jumped on the deal that another member posted here (2020 LR Demo model with 75 miles). They did home delivery even though I'm 20 minutes away from the Fremont Delivery Center. There's a minor scratch on the glossy center console (don't care I already have the wrap to go on it anyways) but other than that, car is perfect. Got $2600 off, build Dec 2019, Blue/White/19" so I'm very happy as it still comes with dimming side view mirror. I went through it with a fine tooth comb and didn't see anything off, even the charge port cover is perfectly aligned. Perhaps the fact that this was a demo model that there's no panel gap issue for potential buyers to see?

Reactions: mafpolo
yeah they mentioned a hood swap might be a possibility. I’m just wary of going down a rat hole and potentially just getting other issues after a swap. I’ll find out tomorrow what the options are I think

My advice to any one that buys a Tesla, opt out of the arbitration clause! Believe me it's a smart move. Do the hood swap and if you are concerned GET IT IN WRITING. Tesla hates anything in writing because they love to pretend it never happened. I have had great service experiences because I go to know the people there so I can't complain on that front.

You likely have rail dust. A quick clay bar cleaning takes care of it easily.

What is Rail Dust?

i have these orange specks on the front bumper and hood. they appear under the clearcoat -- we tried rubbing hard with fingers and couldnt perceive that it was a deposit on the paint so unlikely a claybar could pull it out.

these, along with miniature bumps or specks on the front end, i knew would just amalgate with paint chips and other marks induced by regular driving on the road anyway. and true to prediction, i collected some chips from long wintry road trips, and the bumper got replaced due to an accident (other party @ fault).

i know some who are able to keep their car in millimetrically pristine condition, but for most of us normal wear will wash these issues away.

the other extremely pervasive problem i see are poor paint finishing around edges and corners. it looks like the paint just dripped off. never seen this in any other car ever. but being where they are, you dont really notice them unless you actively look for them.

not making an excuse for the company, just a reality.

because what you do notice every day are obvious things like the chrome window trim misalignment, and thats an eyesore for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.