Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The fit and finish on these cars is GARBAGE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I contributed some comments about the problems I experienced (including a delivery rejection), I thought I should also complete the story. TL;DR I now own one!

My delivery rejection was because of really quite shocking issues (see earlier in thread but basically it was driver's door that didn't close properly, rear seat shelf that wasn't installed properly so wiring was shown, scratched chrome, a paint drip, and a series of minor but they-all-add-up issues). In less than a week they had another one which looked ok on a quick inspection I did, but had some paint chips around the front, so it went to the service center before I tried a real delivery again.

The second delivery was so much better. The work to fix up the chips at the front wasn't hugely different from what I could tell - maybe even nothing was done - but that was still really minor stuff like the super tiny chips you get from gravel if unlucky and only the odd few on the good. There was a bit on the front fender that was much improved, and after that I really couldn't find any significant issue (it wasn't BMW good but it was 98% there) so I handed over the money and took delivery!

Since then I've seen a few little things: one of the front wheel panels isn't perfectly aligned with the hood, one of the rear quarter chrome strips is slightly misaligned (sticks out), inside one of the door sills the paint is rough textured, and a few places around the small lights/reflectors low down at the back have varying paint thickness. I don't think any of this is really going to matter to me. It might sound strange but really the overall style of the vehicle is not that luxurious and that somehow makes the not-quite-perfect ok. Maybe that doesn't make sense, but it's how it feels to me.

So anyway, based on my anecdotal experience of two cars, the fit and finish can be crap, or it can be not-quite-as-good as the best, but pretty close. I suggest just reject if you get one that's not good

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
After the 4th car (3 rejected deliveries), I finally took delivery of my MSM/black Performance today. The panel gaps were all pretty much perfect minus the rear driver door which is off by about 3/32". There was one small rock chip in front of the rear passenger wheel which definitely happened post production. I did find one ding hidden on the ridge near the taillight... that will be going in to have pointless dent repair completed but other than that, I finally found an acceptable car. Still a shame after 4 cars I find faults but damn, the car is fast. Scared the $hidt out of the wife.

Tesla (the company) isn't stupid. You'd think they'd realize by now that the first new cars off the assembly line will be scrutinized a lot. So spend the extra time with the first 1,000 cars while the YouTube fanboys are getting their cars and it would go a long way to improving their image. Even if they let the build quality slip on all other models besides the Y, it would be well worth their time in terms of brand image. Not that they have room to let quality slip LOL oooops sorry, not sorry.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
True. All things considered for an American produced vehicle with the 3 production push and how new this all is to them it's a fantastic ownership experience. GM has garbage fit/finish and interior and they've been manufacturing cars for much longer than Tesla.

Wholeheartedly disagree. Been over this Buick a dozen times - not one panel out of place, misaligned, hangs or issues. Was picture-perfect from day 1. Same with the Cadillac I traded for the XT5.

88DBCEFE-D0F5-4C3C-87E7-53430C68EBCE.jpeg

I purchased 3 Model 3's in 2018 (and still own them all). None of them were perfect, but honestly after the first month you completely forget these "issues" even exist. If you really care that much, it's not hard to fix. All the adjustments on these panels are super easy to make. I had minor paint issues with one of them and Tesla fixed it post-delivery. I think it took them 3 days. Really not a big deal. Otherwise, the car is absolutely fantastic and I am much happier with it than my 2015 BMW M3 (which, FWIW, was also not flawless even when new).

I've also yet to spend a single $ on regular maintenance over a combined 50,000 miles.

You may want to break your no spending streak and at least get new wipers.:)

Again. I feel that people rejecting the chance to drive a fantastic Tesla due to small paint imperfections is like rejecting sex with Taylor swift because she has an accent :) (Feel free to make your own comparisons here)

Constant focus on an imperfection can ruin the whole experience.

they can always just. “Shake it off”

True. All things considered for an American produced vehicle with the 3 production push and how new this all is to them it's a fantastic ownership experience. GM has garbage fit/finish and interior and they've been manufacturing cars for much longer than Tesla.

My current Chevys all have better fit and finish than my Model S. So did other Chevys, Buicks and Mercurys that I’ve owned.

I don’t know the last time you looked at a new GM, but I have to disagree. We purchased a Chevy Bolt and Volt (first production year for the Bolt and early build) and both were fantastic. All body panels/doors were aligned and panel gaps were consistent. My brand new Model 3 looks like it was assembled by this guy:

95CFE235-8129-41B5-A1EC-C81140660881.jpeg

I'm on my second Model 3 now, the first having been totaled by an unfortunate run in with some rather large road debris.

My first Model 3 was a November 2018 build, and was delivered with about 6-8 dust nibs, a few more-than-surface scratches, and two areas of some pretty heavy orange peel, particularly the passenger rear quarter. In addition, the frunk was sunken in.

My new car is a March 2020 build. Only two dust nibs that I saw (which is still two more than any new car I've ever had delivered). Lower front fascia was heavily scratched in 3-4 places. I had my PPF installer buff that out while installing the front end PPF. Less orange peel, only one spot this time. One scratch on the chrome trim. Frunk was properly aligned. However, the rear door handles are sunken in more than the fronts. Oh, and the roof panel (the middle, not the back window one) was chipped on the edge. There was a 3 inch chip that someone thought it was ok to simply cover up with marker / mastic / whatever and keep installed. Oh, and a nasty rattle in the passenger door.

So yeah, still some ways to go.

• Helpful
Reactions: XLR82XS
Wind noise for me.

Also the rockers had damage, paint missing, and surface rust already.

Bumper doesn't perfectly align to the car.

I'm a pretty big car guy and have had a slew of cheap to mid level cars. Friends with expensive and cheap, everything in between. The model 3 fit and finish is worse than a $15,000 new toyota yaris.

Reactions: InternetDude
Wind noise for me.

Also the rockers had damage, paint missing, and surface rust already.

Bumper doesn't perfectly align to the car.

I'm a pretty big car guy and have had a slew of cheap to mid level cars. Friends with expensive and cheap, everything in between. The model 3 fit and finish is worse than a $15,000 new toyota yaris.
I believe you, but still wouldn’t buy a Yaris.:)

I agree with OP.

This isn't acceptable on a car in any price range, let alone at this level. I took delivery of my car yesterday, and have the usual indentation issue of the front wing at the door pillar. I've reported it to Service and will give them a chance to fix it. Panel gaps at the rear door are also wider than the front but at least it's consistent. I think the passenger door is also a little low. My bonnet and boot lid fit well though (yay!).

The paint seems ok, but I'm taking it over to my detailer to assess paint thickness and application. Any dust nibs or runs are unacceptable - I'd never accept a paint job from a repairer with those sorts of issues, let alone the factory.

I'm sad to see my AMG E63 go but the difference in assembly accuracy is absolutely night and day.
Even the cheapest Ford or Peugeot don't have these sorts of fitment issues. It's like going back to the 80s before Toyota showed that it didn't need to be this way...

I've just noticed there is also a cut in the centre console trim roll as well. Not good QC.

Having said that, it feels very tight - no trim squeaks and rattles so far. My E63 has quite a few and they drive me nuts, so well done Tesla for getting that bit right.

Cheers,
Alex
My last new BMW (that was built in Europe BTW) had numerous paint and fit and finish flaws when I picked it up. 99% of the people that are finding these flaws did not even know what "panel gap" was until the entire internet started talking about Tesla.

Reactions: MP3Mike
My last new BMW (that was built in Europe BTW) had numerous paint and fit and finish flaws when I picked it up. 99% of the people that are finding these flaws did not even know what "panel gap" was until the entire internet started talking about Tesla.
So are you saying that:
A) People are being too picky with their Teslas.
B) Panel gaps weren’t/aren’t a big issue with other brands? (Yes it can happen, but is exceedingly rare)

So are you saying that:
A) People are being too picky with their Teslas.
B) Panel gaps weren’t/aren’t a big issue with other brands? (Yes it can happen, but is exceedingly rare)
I am saying that people are suddenly becoming picky about things they have never noticed before and other brands are not under the scrutiny that Tesla is. I have had paint flaws and panel misalignment in every single car that I have owned, regardless of manufacture or country of origin.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Wholeheartedly disagree. Been over this Buick a dozen times - not one panel out of place, misaligned, hangs or issues. Was picture-perfect from day 1. Same with the Cadillac I traded for the XT5.

View attachment 536239
I agree. Tesla has way too many problems with fit and finish. I just accepted it on my S as part of doing business with Tesla. I have had several new cars over time. GMC, Chevy, Lexus and Jeep. NEVER had a fit/finish issue

Status
Not open for further replies.