Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The fit and finish on these cars is GARBAGE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This won't be fixed until Tesla has meaningful competition. I'm nervous as a good friend just ordered a MY. I hope it's good!

This has to be the reason they are getting away with such poor build quality. After a few months with a facelift S, I keep finding small build and design details which are much much worse compared to our ICE car which costs a quarter of the S. It should be unacceptable but we all fell in this hole for the EV idea and smooth/powerful acceleration... sadly.

Last edited:
The misaligned doors/surround trim honestly bother me the most.

The service centers can align doors pretty good. I had my passenger front door aligned and it cam out perfect. It was originally lower at the rear than the front.

The worst problem in my opinion is the paint. The biggest seems to be when you have the door open the inner fender is just primer. The trunk hinges are pretty bad too but other manufacturers skimp there too. Mine also needed some work to get rid of some clear coat issues.

This has to be the reason they are getting away with such poor build quality. After a few months with a facelift S, I keep finding small build and design details which are much much worse compared to our ICE care which costs a quarter of the S. It should be unacceptable but we all fell in this hole for the EV idea and smooth/powerful acceleration... sadly.
Similarly this is why people still buy FCA LD platform cars. The drivetrain (Hemi) is solid and can make stupid power even though the rest of the car will fall apart around it.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
Best car ever[/QUOTE said:
Mine was delivered on Tuesday. I looked really carefully for panel mis-alignments especially at the front fender, mirror location or the dreaded "they forgot to paint here" people mentioned. I found none of it. The panels were aligned much better than many of my previous American cars.

Tiny 1 inch scratch above rear door is all. I'll polish it out myself. No rattles or squeaks. Maybe all the adjustments were done at the SC before delivery?

M3P Black/Black

The majority of Model 3’s coming off the line are free from any major defects. A small percentage have significant issues and those are the ones we hear about most on this forum.

People want all of the advantages of a Tesla EV - the advanced technology, incredible performance and low operating cost, but they want the build quality to be comparable to legacy manufacturers who have been building cars for many decades and are not subject to any EPA restrictions associated with building cars in California. But something has to give here, and most of the members on this forum would never go back to driving an ICE vehicle after owning a Tesla, warts and all.

For those who can’t live with panel gaps and paint imperfections, a Tesla may not be the right vehicle for you. But we took delivery of three Model 3’s last year, and all three were in perfect condition and continue to remain completely trouble free.

I understand. Had to reject my brand new $250,000 Ferrari. Motor made loud wailing noises at high RPMs. exhaust was very loud, got poor gas mileage and rode much harsher than my previous Civic. The stereo had little bass and the wind noise (with the top down) was worse than my Lexus. The paint was too shiney and caused tremendous glare when the Sun was at the right angle...No more Ferraris for me.

I have had my model three for six weeks and I have less than 2000 miles on it. When walking around my car today I noticed a bunch of tiny little surface rust orange spots all over the car and near the lower rocker panels, but it’s everywhere. I didn’t think these things could rust because they were aluminum. Maybe I misunderstood what the composite of the body was. I have scheduled a service technician to come look at it. I can’t believe this, with less than 2000 miles on it. And the car has been washed a couple of times, and I am in a northern climate, but still.

Its sad
I rejected my second M3P today. Within seconds of walking up to the car I could see a chunk of paint missing at the hood/bumper joint. Approx 1/4" diameter (eerily similar to the first one I rejected). I combed over the rest of the car and took note of numerous other issues with fit and finish. To make sure I wasnt just having bad luck I looked over 3 other cars while I was there. Hardly any of the panels are aligned and/or flush. There is no excuse for this. I found a number of blemishes in the paint that were cleared over indicating to me these are factory defects. If Tesla can't deliver an error free car for $70k then screw it, I'm out.
End rant.

My car didnt have all those issues but it wasnt perfect either. Small things here and there. Love the car though and fixed what I could. Tesla will be better at QC in the future no doubt about it. They will have no choice once the big boys start catching up and catch up they will despite the thoughts of a lot of people. Tesla wont be the only meaningful game in town forever.

Good reason to lease.

Funny how people misunderstand leases.

Why, in your opinion, is a good idea to lease a car that had defects? If you lease the car, and you get to the point that you can't stand the defects anymore, you are stuck in a lease. If you buy the car, you can sell it easily whenever you want.

It crazy all the stupid things that are said about leases.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
From what I understand the panel at the drivers' A pillar/mirror/door area can be adjusted fairly easily by service (or by owners apparently). There was thread on this here on the forum that I had seen a little while back where this was discussed and at that time I checked my car (there was a gap so no rubbing). Door panels can be adjusted too including trunk and frunk so generally not a big deal to fix. Some paint issues would likely require a due bill to be corrected at the body shop.

Tesla doesn't have dealerships like other manufacturers whose cars get fixed by the body shops the dealerships use before being delivered to customers. Paint work needed on our Toyota Avalon's passenger side doors, thanks to a careless service center person moving our car, was farmed out to their body shop contact and took about a week. The Toyota service center doesn't have the facilities to do the paint work. All shopped out from our experience. Tesla has a few of their own body shops that will do this same type of paint work and since the cars are delivered directly from the factory to the carrier to delivery center, cars will get sent out to one of those or to an authorized body shop locally that they use, after purchase. No huge parking lots full of unsold cars at Tesla stores/service centers where they can be sent to body shop repaired and then parked until sold. Really no difference in cars needing correction, just when it happens. Cars shipped from the manufacturer come with flaws by the time they reach the dealership or delivery center. The majority of Tesla customers get delivery of cars with little or no need for adjustments or paint work.

Last edited:
Yeah, identical. I've never heard you can't order the same trim if initially rejected. That would be even more absurd than the issue at hand.

From other reports on here that is what I've heard too. Think there was a one-year wait period but others who encountered it can speak to their experience. There were a few people we heard about on here who rejected a number of cars (one guy maybe 4 or 5) not taking delivery and not letting them address the issues. At some point Tesla changed their policy on reordering as a result. So what car are you now going to be looking to order since I don't think it will be a Tesla?

Last edited:
I have had my model three for six weeks and I have less than 2000 miles on it. When walking around my car today I noticed a bunch of tiny little surface rust orange spots all over the car and near the lower rocker panels, but it’s everywhere. I didn’t think these things could rust because they were aluminum. Maybe I misunderstood what the composite of the body was. I have scheduled a service technician to come look at it. I can’t believe this, with less than 2000 miles on it. And the car has been washed a couple of times, and I am in a northern climate, but still.

You likely have rail dust. A quick clay bar cleaning takes care of it easily.

What is Rail Dust?

I rejected my second M3P today... There is no excuse for this. I found a number of blemishes in the paint that were cleared over indicating to me these are factory defects. If Tesla can't deliver an error free car for $70k then screw it, I'm out.
End rant.
This is normal for Tesla. Most people are so excited and not overly picky so they can live with little imperfections. Some just buy it no matter what to tell everyone they own a Tesla (prestige).

FWIW I paid $213K (CDN) for my loaded S P100DL back in 2018 and it had a few little issues that were corrected after delivery (missing body clips, spoiler not attached fully, cracked dash piece, etc.). It has since had further issues and I now know it's just 100% normal for Teslas to always have a few small issues with every car. So the fact that the car is $70K or whatever is completely irrelevant to the effort Tesla puts into QA.

Funny how people misunderstand leases.

Why, in your opinion, is a good idea to lease a car that had defects? If you lease the car, and you get to the point that you can't stand the defects anymore, you are stuck in a lease. If you buy the car, you can sell it easily whenever you want.

It crazy all the stupid things that are said about leases.
Especially when the Model 3 leases like crap and can’t even be bought out after.
At least if you could buy it out you can take advantage of its stellar resale value.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Okninja and TLLMRRJ
well went down to costa mesa today to pick up my black/black pup model 3 with fsd/20s. whilst waiting for paperwork i smoked over the car and there were no issues (vin 71XXX built march 20). the triangle mentioned here seemed fine - no pushed out or pushed in parts. no panel gaps, door seams looked uniform and in alignment. ran my finger all along the lines and all ok.

I've already seen multiple Tayacan's. Not one of them has had any panel gaps or paint issues. Of all the cars I've ever owned, none of them have had the fit and finish problems like the Model 3 (I haven't ever paid attention to the S). I know many people think Elon Musk or Tesla can do no wrong. He did create the first viable electric car, as well as the infrastructure to support it. However, that still doesn't excuse the problems that too many of these cars have. My guess is that there have been multiple plant managers for the M3. Tesla can hire senior plant people from any car company they want. Other car companies don't have these issues. At other car companies, when a vehicle rolls off the line and there is a panel gap, it gets pulled from the line and repaired before it leaves the factory. My M3 had a gap between teh rear bumper and body that was ridiculous. The doors didn't quite line up. There is no excuses for this. If Tesla would up their quality control, the Model 3 would be one of the best cars in the world and one of the most important cars ever made.

Status
Not open for further replies.