Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The four cameras saved me $1000 and my driving record...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a simple but probably stupid question. How do you get the video of everything that happens to your Tesla Model 3 to upload on YouTube? I have a flash drive inserted in the right front port but it does not record everything and has huge files. Most of the time I have a cordless charger plugged in to both of those ports. When I park I can make the change. Please fill me in what I need to do to protect myself.

I had an accident in the two-lane exit road from a parking lot. A car in the left lane tried to get around traffic by using the right lane, which I already occupied. His right front impacted my left rear.

The other driver told his insurance company that I turned into him. There were no witnesses, but I had the model 3 cameras! I sent the below message to both insurance companies and his insurance company quickly accepted liability for repairing my model 3. So, I don't have to pay the $1000 deductible or have it cont as an accident claim on my insurance. (Note that the insurance company asked my to upload the video to YouTube; this eliminates them worrying that my files might contain a virus or malware.)

Here are three YouTube videos showing the accident. They are automatically captured by the Tesla Model 3 cameras. The impact occurs at 00:05 in each video.
We are in a line of vehicles moving to exit the parking lots of Del Monte Center. The other vehicle (V2) is in front and moves to the left lane. He is intending to turn left at the end of the exit lanes. My vehicle (V1) continues in the open right lane to turn right at the end.
V2 decides to pass the other left-turning vehicles and drives right into my lane, impacting my left rear side.

Front View
https://youtu.be/KeiC1q_X-to
shows V2 moving completely into the left lane while V1 continues straight in the middle of the right lane.

Back View
https://youtu.be/2gze94YoKTI
V1 is passing V2. V2 tries to move into the right lane, impacting V1.

Left View
https://youtu.be/uJtIdad6zFI
shows the impact of the front of V2 into the rear of V1. V2 has clearly crossed the traffic lane lines to impact V1.

I had the same thing happen to me Saturday night in Lincoln, MA. Difference is that I stopped as the AH was turning into my lane from a line on my right. The AH signaled, but did not look. Three passengers in my car also saw it and vocalized. I had to stomp hard on the brake. No contact. Sorry about your accident, but video shows you could see it coming. Drive slower, be vigilant!

Well if speed is huge, there is no point to slam on brakes. Accident happened far away anyway and vehicles moved many many meters - therefore not possible to trace what happened even if you stop ON the road. In addition, at 100+km/h zones it is not safe to stop within the lane margins (applies to US mostly as every lane is fastest lane and "warning triangle, what is that" you ask).
Though if speed is something like city-speed (or weird scenario like merging at highway construction zone) it takes just a minute to do 10 crystal clear photos of the situation. Stop, switch on hazards, get out, make photos of both vehicles and then, if other party can't blame you any more, move both to shoulder. Even if other party drives to the shoulder, you should not. Do the photos of just your vehicle, any rubble and skid marks on the road. If it is slow speed traffic (up to 70km/h) just stay there if other side is not cooperating.

In EU, as soon as accident happens, no matter where, both parties have to STOP immediately. Driving "to the side of the road" or "next safe place like parking lot" is counted as hit-and-run.
You stop. You do photos as a minimum. If damages are huge you stay there until police arrives or the one at fault has signed the liability paper. Camera helps in situations where you do not stop.
NEVER be afraid that you are creating a traffic jam. Later on you pay thousands if you mess it up (like not having dashcam or corrupt video).

Simply not true. I live in The Netherlands (definitely a part of the EU), where there is no such law, only common sense and police guidelines which clearly state that if possible and safe to do so, you move your vehicle to a safe location.

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
I think you have never been in an accident where you can't prove you did nothing wrong just because you left the scene ;)

Trust me. Stop, make the photos. Thank me later.
Though in Netherlands people are much kinder than on average (incl US).

If you move away and have NOTHING to prove AND other party says you hit them you are on your own with your wish to be a kind man.
Like the title of this topic suggests;)

(From OP) Even if we had stopped, the other driver had already pulled back into his original lane (as I would have done if I had hit him). So, there was no good reason to stop there. If the police came, they wouldn’t have anything to see and would have been pissed to deal with a huge traffic jam. These were the only two exit lanes from a huge shopping center on a very busy day!

I wasn’t “passing on the right” in the usual sense. These were two exit lanes leading to a T. One was for turning left and one for turning right. I was way past him when he impulsively decided to zip around the traffic in his lane and pass them on the right. No amount of defensive driving would have avoided this accident.

I have an “accident report” pamphlet in my glove box from my insurance company (one of the big three). It says “Do not admit fault, and do not discuss your accident with anyone except the insurance company or the police. Do exchange information about the other driver and vehicles.”

Most dashcams are one angle through the front windscreen. Without all the angles that the M3 allows, many accidents will not be captured. We had similar area of or M3 hit. The cameras saved our good driving record as well. You will probably have to small claims court for diminished value. When we went to small claims court. The judge didn't know what car fax was and attacked us saying "you can pull anything off the internet." Was a little bizarre as we were the victims and the judge was attacking our evidence in an uncontested case. I suggest in hindsight to take in Kelly Blue book and Edmunds articles on a cars diminished value versus one that has never been in an accident. Estimated loss between 10-30% of cars value...

Last edited:
(From OP) Even if we had stopped, the other driver had already pulled back into his original lane (as I would have done if I had hit him). So, there was no good reason to stop there.

If one doesn't have video then nobody can even confirm WHERE accident happened. If you stop and do photos it is something. For example plastic pieces might be on the pavement, skidmarks on the road. It proves that accident happened right there and you were in position X and other vehicle was over the line.
As you DO have video material THEN there is less need to make photos as video is better than photos. I'm specifically mentioning situations where there is nothing to prove that accident took place at all.

After an accident, when is the best time to save footage and eject the memory card to avoid corruption?

I’ve read and experienced (the one time I tried it) that the footage right before I pressed SAVE was corrupted. Video before and after was fine but the one minute immediately before( I pressed the save button) would not open, presumably because of corruption? Is it best to just NOT press the save button and instead stop and eject the memory card within the next 10 minutes or so, just to be safe and avoid corrupting the footage?

Separate question, with a large memory card is there anyway to save more than an hour of dash cam footage? Personally, I’d far prefer that only an hour of Sentry Mode be preserved and that all the rest of the space be designated for dash cam footage.

TeslaCam to the rescue!

Glad you're safe and it wasn't a serious accident. Full-self-driving car culture in US cannot come soon enough.
I had an accident in the two-lane exit road from a parking lot. A car in the left lane tried to get around traffic by using the right lane, which I already occupied. His right front impacted my left rear.

The other driver told his insurance company that I turned into him. There were no witnesses, but I had the model 3 cameras! I sent the below message to both insurance companies and his insurance company quickly accepted liability for repairing my model 3. So, I don't have to pay the $1000 deductible or have it cont as an accident claim on my insurance. (Note that the insurance company asked my to upload the video to YouTube; this eliminates them worrying that my files might contain a virus or malware.)

Here are three YouTube videos showing the accident. They are automatically captured by the Tesla Model 3 cameras. The impact occurs at 00:05 in each video.
We are in a line of vehicles moving to exit the parking lots of Del Monte Center. The other vehicle (V2) is in front and moves to the left lane. He is intending to turn left at the end of the exit lanes. My vehicle (V1) continues in the open right lane to turn right at the end.
V2 decides to pass the other left-turning vehicles and drives right into my lane, impacting my left rear side.

Front View
https://youtu.be/KeiC1q_X-to
shows V2 moving completely into the left lane while V1 continues straight in the middle of the right lane.

Back View
https://youtu.be/2gze94YoKTI
V1 is passing V2. V2 tries to move into the right lane, impacting V1.

Left View
https://youtu.be/uJtIdad6zFI
shows the impact of the front of V2 into the rear of V1. V2 has clearly crossed the traffic lane lines to impact V1.

Person never even signaled so that's another ding for them.

You mean people are suppose to actually use their turn signals when changing lanes or making turn? Who would have known it was one of those Rules of the Road laws. Certainly not by observing some of the drivers I see. Cops could make a fortune issuing tickets for this and use it to fix our roads.

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
Does the Model S have these cameras?

Depends on the manufacture date of the car. You need HW 2.5 at least to have the front, side and rear cameras record to TeslaCam's flashdrive. My husband has a March 2017 MS and doesn't have it. I think the MS got updated a few months after he got his. He does get to have Sentry mode more for alert/alarm situations when someone is around his car or would mess or damage it but no recordings of the person/action. He has a 4K 2-channel Blackview dashcam installed so has some video protection (and the dashcam works very well with better imaging) but it doesn't give him side footage.

I

I will also point out it is easy to state this while having all the time in the world to review the video from the leisure of my chair - lol - which of course is a different environment than things happening live.

Great comment. My wife has warned me that somebody was not driving right a few times. Once a guy crossed two lanes of traffic to get off at an exit in front of me, no signal of course. I was probably doing 10 mph faster than him and had just started to slow down based on her warning. The model 3 still complained that I wasn't slowing fast enough but he kept going to the right out of the way. Exactly as you say. Be careful out there.

After an accident, when is the best time to save footage and eject the memory card to avoid corruption?

I’ve read and experienced (the one time I tried it) that the footage right before I pressed SAVE was corrupted. Video before and after was fine but the one minute immediately before( I pressed the save button) would not open, presumably because of corruption? Is it best to just NOT press the save button and instead stop and eject the memory card within the next 10 minutes or so, just to be safe and avoid corrupting the footage?

Separate question, with a large memory card is there anyway to save more than an hour of dash cam footage? Personally, I’d far prefer that only an hour of Sentry Mode be preserved and that all the rest of the space be designated for dash cam footage.

I would give the TeslaCam a full couple of minutes before pressing Save. Save will send it to a protected area of the flashdrive so I would use it and it will make finding the file easier if you don't note the time of the event when it happens. The wait time, which Tesla even recommends I think, gives the camera the time to properly do it's thing so there isn't corruption if it's recording mid-stream in "the" important minute video when you hit Save. You just don't know where it is in the recording so best to play it safe and let it safely write off that important minute file and moved on to the next minute or two before it will transfer 10-minutes of buffer time to the Save folder. I think 2-3 minutes is a good safety buffer. Lots going on around you when accidents happen however. And if you forget to hit Save afterwards, the event file will be stored in the hour buffer so stop the recording before the buffer has looped around to start recording over the past hour and take the flashdrive out to prevent any possible accidents with it. Good to always have another drive handy and ready to insert in it's place when you take out your evidence flashdrive. The video proof has saved many Tesla owners a lot of money in claims/repairs when the accident wasn't their fault.

"A car in the left lane tried to get around traffic by using the right lane, which I already occupied. His right front impacted my left rear.

The other driver told his insurance company that I turned into him."

There has to be a larger penalty for lying. It should come under things like fraud, especially insurance fraud. Considering the damage is likely be be more than $1000, I'd love to have this person nailed for some actual criminal charge which would land them in front of a criminal court judge.

Not seeing any difference between someone performing a hit-and-run versus causing an accident and holding the other person responsible for the damage they caused.