Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Free MCU 2 Upgrade Vs Infotainment Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! I'm a new Tesla owner so this is my first time on the forum. Hope you guys can help as I'm struggling to find any info on this. I have a 2015 Tesla. Model S 90D and I'm based in the UK.

I have the "Center Console is Degraded" message on my dashboard which means I can get it upgraded to the Intel chip (MCU 2) for free. But I was wondering if it's worth me paying for the Infotainment upgrade instead?

Other then the fact that you can play more games and watch Netflix are there any other significant upgrades in the Infotainment upgrade? (better touch screen, different interface, extra features etc?)

It seems that the free upgrade would make everything as responsive as the infotainment upgrade and it would be the same chip, is that correct?

Thanks for your assistance!

MCU2 is the infotainement upgrade but is not free - FREE is the remplacement of your actual MCU1 or changing EMMC with a more robuste with plenty more space to write datas that resolved the problem. If you want to upgrade to MCU2(infotainement) + more display like work cones ect... you need to paid it.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Upvote 0
MCU2 is the infotainement upgrade but is not free - FREE is the remplacement of your actual MCU1 or changing EMMC with a more robuste with plenty more space to write datas that resolved the problem. If you want to upgrade to MCU2(infotainement) + more display like work cones ect... you need to paid it.
Hi! Thanks for the quick reply. Doesn't the free upgrade replace the Tegra chip for the Intel one (the same as the Infotainment one) though?

Upvote 0
Hi! Thanks for the quick reply. Doesn't the free upgrade replace the Tegra chip for the Intel one (the same as the Infotainment one) though?
All the 'free upgrade' gives you is a replacement eMMC (embedded multi-media card) with a higher capacity than the 8gb you currently have. Everything else is exactly as you currently have. If you want the MCU2 with enhanced graphics, more games, useable browser etc, you need to stump up £1400 or thereabouts. A by-product of the change to MCU2 is that you will lose FM/AM radio and DAB unless you want to pay a further £500.

(There are many threads on here discussing this is great detail)

Reactions: MP3Mike
Upvote 0