Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The front driver side window is not fully closed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
So....bit of an odd one. Had my car 8 months or so and never had this problem, walk away door lock is enabled and windows have always closed fully when it does so. I often leave the drivers window open fully to give me more room to get out the car.

I also have not driven the car in about 18 hours.

I was just in the kitchen cooking dinner when I got the notification, front driver side window is not fully closed. Rushed out there and sure enough, it was open maybe 2 or 3 inches?

If it was open since yesterday though - why no notification? I also have Tessie notify me if there are open windows when rain is approaching, nothing from there either.

If it did close last night as normal, then why on earth has it randomly opened by itself?

I never (that I can think of) drive with the window at half mast like that either. Its either fully closed, or fully open. So I'm almost positive I wouldn't have gotten out the car with it like that, unless I hit the button by accident, but even so it should have closed when the car locked.

Anyone got any insight?

The car will crack the windows a bit of its cold to stop them freezing. It may trigger the window open notification if it goes too far?

This was WAY more than a crack, I didn't think to take a picture and my couple inches measurement might not have been accurate (I mean hey, I'm a man)

Although didn't know it did that, not that its even close to being cold enough right now but I guess thats a cool feature.

Its probably not cold enough. Needs to be 4C or less when returning from a drive to activate. They open about a small finger amount when this happens. Window slightly open in cold weather

I had similar sounding wider opening during a foam wash - wasn't pretty inside the car! Another one dropped next drive. Some hints that issue with puddle lights may cause this, possibly water.

The other thing to try is to recalibrate the windows - instructions in the manual. But its all going to be down to when the window opened - was it open for a long time, or only a recent opening? That will give a better idea as to what is going on. Certainly in TeslaFi you can scroll back through the logs to see when window opened.

Its probably not cold enough. Needs to be 4C or less when returning from a drive to activate. They open about a small finger amount when this happens. Window slightly open in cold weather

I had similar sounding wider opening during a foam wash - wasn't pretty inside the car! Another one dropped next drive. Some hints that issue with puddle lights may cause this, possibly water.

The other thing to try is to recalibrate the windows - instructions in the manual. But its all going to be down to when the window opened - was it open for a long time, or only a recent opening? That will give a better idea as to what is going on. Certainly in TeslaFi you can scroll back through the logs to see when window opened.

Don't have TeslaFi and unfortunately Tessie doesn't seem to log that kind of information. No idea how long it was open for, but as I didn't receive any notification about it I would have to assume that it opened by itself and then 20 minutes later (which I believe is the threshold) sent me the notification to say it was open.

I've not touched the puddle lights since I upgraded them on day 1, but I did have an unfortunate amount of rain water get in through the window as I drove away on a wet day, that must have been a week or so ago now but I do wonder if enough of it got down between the door card to cause a problem...hopefully not.

Just have to monitor the situation I guess. At least it gives me a warning I suppose!

I often leave the drivers window open fully to give me more room to get out the car.
Dukes of Hazzard style? :)

A while ago I had the rear drivers side window pop open a couple of times when I've parked. I thought maybe that I'd bumped the window control when pressing the door release, but I saw it happen with my wife as well, so unlikely we're both that clumsy. It would have been well above 4C at the time, so not the frosty thing. Was also open a couple of inches, like when you vent the windows. Possibly a software thing that goes away with upgrades.

Reactions: Billbrown1982