Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The front license plate question.... (poll)

My front license plate solution for my M3 is: (and I'm happy//not happy)

• I don't have a front plate cuz my state doesn't require one

Votes: 21 8.1%
  • I don't have a front plate and hope I don't get too many tickets

Votes: 102 39.5%
  • I am using Tesla's OEM tape-stuck-on solution

Votes: 53 20.5%
  • I am using a 3rd party front plate mount solution

Votes: 75 29.1%
  • I am in limbo, searching for a good solution...

Votes: 24 9.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In most of Texas I’ve never had an issue running no front plate. Then i moved to south Texas...in 1 month I got pulled over both times I drove our BMW without a front plate....asked about my Lotus...DPS said “oh, we probably won’t give you a hard time in that”. They haven’t yet.
With the Tesla I put the front plate on after the PPF. I drive it a lot and don’t really enjoy interactions with police.

Any NJ folks with experience here?

Waiting on delivery but I'm not sure what to do regarding the front license plate. I'd rather not drill holes or use sticky-anything but would like to avoid a ticket. What if I keep a plate in the glovebox and put it up on my dash in the event of being pulled over?

Any NJ folks with experience here?

Waiting on delivery but I'm not sure what to do regarding the front license plate. I'd rather not drill holes or use sticky-anything but would like to avoid a ticket. What if I keep a plate in the glovebox and put it up on my dash in the event of being pulled over?

The sticky tape doesn't cause any damage anyway. You car will be delivered with it on in My and Nj. I pulled it off to put ppf on and it left no mark or anything

The sticky tape doesn't cause any damage anyway. You car will be delivered with it on in My and Nj. I pulled it off to put ppf on and it left no mark or anything
Thanks P3d. The reason I didn’t use the sticky tape license plate holder is because I thought removing it would damage the paint. Good to know.

NJ here, i've been pulled over 4 times for no plate and/or no inspection sticker(which we dont need in NJ) in my town in the course of 8 months. everytime i get a warning, im paranoid now and looking into options for my front plate. i dont like the standard mount. i may just ziptie the bare plate to the grill (i've seen a member do it here) or use the cravenspeed platypus toehook plate holder. ugh, i hate the front plate, ruins the look but i hate interactions with 5-0

NJ here, i've been pulled over 4 times for no plate and/or no inspection sticker(which we dont need in NJ) in my town in the course of 8 months. everytime i get a warning, im paranoid now and looking into options for my front plate. i dont like the standard mount. i may just ziptie the bare plate to the grill (i've seen a member do it here) or use the cravenspeed platypus toehook plate holder. ugh, i hate the front plate, ruins the look but i hate interactions with 5-0

I would think of it this way. 5-0 will pull you over anyway and when they do it is not for the license plate issue.

But the license plate issue will give them a low hanging fruit for them to walk away.

In my area (northern Virginia), the local police have never bothered us running no plate. However, the State Police pulled me in the Model S once for speed and issued a secondary violation for no front plate. They also pulled my wife over with the kids in the Model 3 and issued a ticket for no front plate. She wasn't speeding, no other violations. I believe the Virginia State police use active license plate reading technology to search for stolen vehicles etc so they are more apt to notice violators. We now have the Snap Plate and have been happy with it for six months now.

In most of Texas I’ve never had an issue running no front plate. Then i moved to south Texas...in 1 month I got pulled over both times I drove our BMW without a front plate....asked about my Lotus...DPS said “oh, we probably won’t give you a hard time in that”. They haven’t yet.
With the Tesla I put the front plate on after the PPF. I drive it a lot and don’t really enjoy interactions with police.

Lol. Probably true. I rode around in my NSX with out a front license plate for 10+ years, with out issues at all. When my accord was new a sheriff turned around and got behind me realizing I had paper plates and then turned back around. Most likely will put it on my 3, it's just another reason for them to pull you over.

• Love
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Since it's worked fine on our Model S went with "The Law" from Torklift Central:
IMG_0157.jpg