Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The front license plate question.... (poll)

My front license plate solution for my M3 is: (and I'm happy//not happy)

• I don't have a front plate cuz my state doesn't require one

Votes: 21 8.1%
  • I don't have a front plate and hope I don't get too many tickets

Votes: 102 39.5%
  • I am using Tesla's OEM tape-stuck-on solution

Votes: 53 20.5%
  • I am using a 3rd party front plate mount solution

Votes: 75 29.1%
  • I am in limbo, searching for a good solution...

Votes: 24 9.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's only a matter of time before they start enforcing it. The proliferation of Model 3s, and therefore, the number of front license plate violators, will reach a tipping point. I'd rather not get a fixit ticket.

I absolutely do not agree. 90% of luxury vehicles do not have front license.

This is not a Tesla thing.

If anything, this would probably become legal like mj.

Neither of my cars have a front plate.

Never been ticketed.

149A8FFF-295E-4951-918C-8A4370227201.jpeg 99EA99BE-A3D9-461F-AB8D-AC02EB921A69.jpeg

Reactions: hcdavis3
Looks are the only thing people are worried about. The black plastic thing looks out of place on the front of an otherwise nice looking nose.
it has also been said that eventually the tape/glue fails/ages and the license plate may fall off -- I don't know if that is someone speaking from experience or mere speculation.

Most of the non-OEM tape-on solutions are mounts that can be removed very quickly (minutes), which some want to be able to do from time to time.

I just got my plates yesterday and had a SnapPlate ready and waiting. Currently, I have it on and it looks good, but not as good as without a front plate. I'm half tempted to take it off and hope for the best.
That's the beauty of the SnapPlate. You can store it in your frunk if you want, and put it on any time you think you might need it!

Reactions: Kbra and house9
I just stuck it on, it's only 1/2 held on with tape now though, because it saved part of my bumper from a tire tread that the car in front of me kicked up and into the front of my car, it smacked plate and broke the seal of the tape on 1/2 of it but the other half is still holding for now. I don't think it would be very difficult to remove if I wanted to. Pretty sure some dental floss and I could remove it in 5-10 minutes, might even be easier than those bolt on solutions.

I think it's ugly but it did take the brunt of the tire tread, and I don't like giving cops a reason to pull me over. Having tint is bad enough.

Great Poll, Should have added

My State Requires Plate, took my chances with no plate and have got a ticket ;)

Surprised how many are risking it.

I’m risking it (Model X), so far so good. Model 3 I did put it on, didn’t mind as much because it was just sticky tape. Model X requires drilling holes for OEM. Bought 3rd party and didn’t like the bulk at all.

I keep mine in the Frunk ready to sticky tape on. I can put it on before the cop finishes writing the ticket ;) What missing plate sir? I’m gonna play dumb and say it falls off.

I must stick it on for inspection too.

Last edited: