Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The front license plate question.... (poll)

My front license plate solution for my M3 is: (and I'm happy//not happy)

• I don't have a front plate cuz my state doesn't require one

Votes: 21 8.1%
  • I don't have a front plate and hope I don't get too many tickets

Votes: 102 39.5%
  • I am using Tesla's OEM tape-stuck-on solution

Votes: 53 20.5%
  • I am using a 3rd party front plate mount solution

Votes: 75 29.1%
  • I am in limbo, searching for a good solution...

Votes: 24 9.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great Poll, Should have added

My State Requires Plate, took my chances with no plate and have got a ticket ;)

Surprised how many are risking it.

I’m risking it (Model X), so far so good. Model 3 I did put it on, didn’t mind as much because it was just sticky tape. Model X requires drilling holes for OEM. Bought 3rd party and didn’t like the bulk at all.

I keep mine in the Frunk ready to sticky tape on. I can put it on before the cop finishes writing the ticket ;) What missing plate sir? I’m gonna play dumb and say it falls off.

I must stick it on for inspection too.
I’ve been riding for almost a year with no tickets. My son in law is a Sargent in our police force. He tells me that it’s unlikely I’ll get a ticket. I have the Bandit in my frunk just in case. Fingers crossed.

I was looking for a front license plate holder for a vanity euro sized plate and decided to go with Craig's Custom Mustang Bracket after looking at all of the options out there.

My requirements were.
1. no visible bracket/holder with plate in place
2. easy to install Easy to remove if needed for car wash, etc
4. no blocking of grill, preferably similar to Tesla OEM mount location

Craigs fit the bill and was considerably cheaper than others. Plus, he was a great resource and able to answer questions via email/phone. There are a few posts, but not many for this one, but highly recommend this option. Hope this helps someone

Craig's Custom Mustang Brackets | No Drill Front License Plate Brackets

The SnapPlate is definitely a premium priced solution but in line with most similar solutions. One of the stand out features is that it's designed to snap and break away before damaging the radiator grille it attaches to.

The $15 replacement part for SnapPlate is much cheaper than repairing your vehicles grille. I've seen upwards of $1400 for people having to repair their grille after someone or something hit their rigid aftermarket plate mount.

It's a great solution for Model 3, X, and Y.

I haven't received my real plates yet, so nothing on the front yet; before taking delivery of the car I splurged on SnapPlate

SnapPlate Model 3 Front License Plate Mount by LivingTesla

It is expensive, but well build and well thought out; I wasn't too keen on tape-on or drilling holes in a brand new $50,000 car.

I use the OEM solution, and it looks fine. I really can see no disadvantage to it other than the tape. I'm unlikely to move to a different state, and I've heard that it's possible to remove the tape anyway. There's no drilling, and it's easy to install it in the right place.

I haven't seen any expensive solutions that look any better than the OEM solution. Some are pretty kludgy.

IOW, think about it before spending $90 or more just to avoid the glue.

Reactions: Gizmo35 and Vanteer
My use case is the the plate is off 90% of the time. In CA only certain cities care about the front plate. Where I live, they don't care. But when I go to San Francisco or Los Angeles, you better believe I have my SnapPlate on.
I use the OEM solution, and it looks fine. I really can see no disadvantage to it other than the tape. I'm unlikely to move to a different state, and I've heard that it's possible to remove the tape anyway. There's no drilling, and it's easy to install it in the right place.

I haven't seen any expensive solutions that look any better than the OEM solution. Some are pretty kludgy.

IOW, think about it before spending $90 or more just to avoid the glue.

When we first got the car (July 2018) I was in the last poll choice—limbo. I liked the look of no plate. I looked at several of the aftermarket solutions that allow you to take it off and put it back on. But then I realized I’d never actually do that. I couldn’t see myself deciding to drive today with the plate and tomorrow without it. Being essentially a rule-abiding person, I figured I should just mount the plate and be done with it. The car came with the sticky-tape mount, so that saved money versus buying something.

Call me boring.

Bonus. We got custom plates, and using the front one lets us display it twice as much!

Otto know why, but seems like people are sticking with saying “OttoStick” ... and that name is now stuck in people’s minds. Therefore, I’m trying to steer everyone back to the correct name: OttoSteer!

Attachments

• 686C942D-258B-4C4E-86E4-66D9E112DCC5.jpeg
    686C942D-258B-4C4E-86E4-66D9E112DCC5.jpeg
    339.3 KB · Views: 61
Otto know why, but seems like people are sticking with saying “OttoStick” ... and that name is now stuck in people’s minds. Therefore, I’m trying to steer everyone back to the correct name: OttoSteer!
I guess the company name is OttoSteer. The product is OttoStick.

OTTOSTICK TESLA MODEL 3 MAGNETIC FRONT LICENSE PLATE HOLDER
Rated 5.00 out of 5 based on 16customer ratings
(16 customer reviews)
$104.95$94.95

Reactions: DaFunGuy