Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Frunk: A decision of style or functionality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, for optimum NVH and minimum road sickness, its best to place the drivers head (vestibular system) at the mid point between the front wheels and the rear wheels. Thats just unconscious knowledge that car buyers 'gets' about driving a car.

that, and that one can never have too much crumple zone. Never

I do wonder if Tesla is indeed already moving to OP's direction. The relative size of the noses has been decreasing since Model S, which has very traditional (and many would say beautiful) proportions compared to the two models since...

Good point. But, to my eye, model 3 has a more flat hood to raked windshield transition like the model S, and has the long hood/short rear deck proportions typical of a RWD ICE car.

What's striking about Model 3, just like Model X (or e.g. facelift Fiat Multipla I used as an example), is how large the greenhouse (the windowed portion) is compared to e.g. the size and height of the nose and the rest of the car.

This is grey Model 3 (prototype, but production is pretty much the same in this regard) compared to blue Model S. See how much more "huge" the greenhouse is compared to the rest of the car on the grey Model 3, compared to the blue Model S:

full

Same with Model X, the greenhouse is massive compared to e.g. the nose:

tesla-model-x-side-profile.jpg

Fiat Multipla (facelift) is an exaggeration of this idea and I guess in some ways was approaching OPs idea already way back when?

Fiat-Multipla_mp21_pic_35084.jpg

I noticed the 3 had a disproportionately tall cabin, but assumed it was because of battery placement/cells.

Perhaps the floor is thicker in the 3?

The X is that tall to accommodate "adults" in the third row while maintaining a smooth taper front to back.

I do wonder if Tesla is indeed already moving to OP's direction. The relative size of the noses has been decreasing since Model S, which has very traditional (and many would say beautiful) proportions compared to the two models since...

What's striking about Model 3, just like Model X (or e.g. facelift Fiat Multipla I used as an example), is how large the greenhouse (the windowed portion) is compared to e.g. the size and height of the nose and the rest of the car.

This is grey Model 3 (prototype, but production is pretty much the same in this regard) compared to blue Model S. See how much more "huge" the greenhouse is compared to the rest of the car on the grey Model 3, compared to the blue Model S:

full

Same with Model X, the greenhouse is massive compared to e.g. the nose:

tesla-model-x-side-profile.jpg

Fiat Multipla (facelift) is an exaggeration of this idea and I guess in some ways was approaching OPs idea already way back when?

Fiat-Multipla_mp21_pic_35084.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
AnxietyRanger, is your photo overlay of Model S and Model 3 to scale? If so, I am surprised they are so close to being the same size. I had thought Model 3 would be smaller.

It is an animation I found on the Internet, so I have no idea how close to scale they might be. I can see it has been aligned around the front wheel so the rear wheel of Model S is further back, so there is at least some attempt at scale.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David29
The X is that tall to accommodate "adults" in the third row while maintaining a smooth taper front to back.

Sure, but Model X also has a relatively low nose. E.g. compare the noses and greenhouses of Model X and Q7.

IMO Model X is already a larger step towards the direction OP was talking about (and thus controversial in its styling), compared to Model S which is very traditional (and good looking for it) in proportions...

2017-Audi-Q7-side-profile-02.jpg

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-05-10%2Bat%2B6.05.59%2BPM.png

Agreed.

I think by necessity, not because it looks like an ideal style but because it's the closest practical design that still resembles a stylish one. I think most people find the Q7 body style more attractive.

I think Tesla starts with a mainstream attractive style and then cuts away until some efficiency goal is achieved. They do not start with maximum efficiency like the OP desires.

IMO Model X is already a larger step towards the direction OP was talking about (and thus controversial in its styling), compared to Model S which is very traditional (and good looking for it) in proportions...

2017-Audi-Q7-side-profile-02.jpg

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-05-10%2Bat%2B6.05.59%2BPM.png

Reactions: AnxietyRanger