Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a fun photo:
attachment.php?attachmentid=3193&d=1319060941.jpg

https://picasaweb.google.com/110873...id=hvgI9qSmbabIM0qdGMdICA#5662391319935590450
IMG_6389.JPG

Looks like you *have* to remove that plastic panel to refill the washer fluid. Sigh. I have to do that startlingly often.

I'm trying to figure out the drainage pattern for the windshield, but I'd probably have to see an actual car to properly understand it. A relative recently had a car completely trashed ($8000 repair) when the windshield drainage got clogged, so it's been on my mind.

I wonder if you can fit a donut spare in there...never felt comfortable taking a car on a long road trip with just "run flat" tires or a can of tire sealant

Does anyone know if the frunk can be opened from the outside, like a typical hatchback?

It'd be nice to at least be able to open the frunk/hatch with the smartphone app. I'll probably be using the frunk for groceries, if nothing other than to stir up conversation when people see me stuffing milk and bread into my "engine" :). It'd be nice to unlatch it on the way to the car instead of having to open it from inside the car.

Does anyone know if the frunk can be opened from the outside, like a typical hatchback?

It'd be nice to at least be able to open the frunk/hatch with the smartphone app. I'll probably be using the frunk for groceries, if nothing other than to stir up conversation when people see me stuffing milk and bread into my "engine" :). It'd be nice to unlatch it on the way to the car instead of having to open it from inside the car.

When I visited the Red Beta S at the Toronto tour it looked like it could only be open from the inside via the touchscreen. There was no handles to indicate that it could be opened from the outside. I'd be really surprised if you couldn't open the frunk via the mobile app.

Here's some detailed shots I've been meaning to post. (Sorry if the pics aren't the greatest, I'm just a simple point and shoot kinda guy).

IMG_1875.JPG

IMG_1868.JPG

IMG_1869.JPG

Notice the two latches fore and aft of the seal

IMG_1873.JPG

Interior emergency release button.

IMG_1874.JPG

Funny thing about the Beta in particular. Sometimes you had to press the frunk open button twice on the touch screen as only the fore latch would open but not the aft. Also, when closing the hood most people would get the aft latch first but soon realize that the fore latch has yet to lock the hood in place.