Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The FUD thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AudubonB

One can NOT induce accuracy via precision!
Mar 24, 2013
This thread is to provide a home for Causalien's dastardly attempts to dip into his (hers?) great big jar of chunky FUD and spread it all over those who are wont to do the same to Tesla....

And anyone else who cares to follow the lead. Have at it!

Robert said it pretty well so I'm just going to quote his post from the Short-Term TSLA thread:

Moderator's Note:

Friendly reminder:

This thread is about short-run movements, including news impacts, technical analysis, and the like.

The long-term thread is the place for discussions about bigger trends, i.e. overall success of EVs or the size of Tesla's next battery packs.

There is NO THREAD to dump on other posters. Challenge their statements, of course, but stop with the ad hominem attacks. If you feel a post is trolling or bot-driven, please report the post. Nigel and I try to stay on top of the boards, but you guys sometimes post faster than we can review.

There is nothing wrong with posting about your fears, uncertainties, and doubts. There is something wrong in posting false or misleading info, regardless of what side you take.

Now, if you want have a fun thread it's gonna have to be in Off Topic......

I know this is supposed to be about FUD (that is, things that are not true that induce Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) about other vehicles, but it just seems to me that there's so much true stuff out there at the moment! Just within the last week:

Honda issues a recall for 100k Fit (non-EV) that can spontaneously catch fire while parked. Warns owners to park them outside just in case.
Ford issues a second recall for the same problem in 170k Escape SUVs, that spontaneously catch fire.
A Porsche incinerates its occupants within seconds of crashing into a tree.
(a bit older) A limo catches fire after hitting road debris and kills a bunch of partygoers before the driver even realizes it's on fire.

All this just from memory and just about fires. The Model S is truly a much better vehicle than any of these.

.../ (a bit older) A limo catches fire after hitting road debris and kills a bunch of partygoers before the driver even realizes it's on fire.

All this just from memory and just about fires. The Model S is truly a much better vehicle than any of these.

Would that be this one:

Exclusive: ABC7 News learns cause of fatal limo fire on San Mateo Bridge | abc7news.com

…/ the air springs in the rear of the limo somehow ruptured, setting off a domino effect that led to the fire. Yusef Mustafa [the owner of a garage that services limousines explains (My edit.)] /…/ " /…/ when one of [the air springs (My edit.)] has a rupture on it, the whole car drops down, basically almost on the tires. So when the car drops down, these parts of the drive line usually it will be hitting on this part right here and that will create a friction and it winds up a lot of heat."

"The car would be jumping like a horse," Mustafa continued. "If there's a load in it, it would be bottoming at the ground, which is I think what happened. It bottomed on the ground and unfortunately, the gas tank is right there. The car with the weight, it bounced down too hard, and ended up hitting the gas tank, which is right at this spot here. It might have hit the gas tank and then you see, when it hits the ground it will create a spark. There's a spark here and there's fuel going down. So it catches fire."

As I understand it, the California Highway Patrol investigators never brought up a theory about road debris. But I guess it could have been a combination of some kind of debris and the above.

Or has there been yet another fire?

Last edited:
Would that be this one:

Exclusive: ABC7 News learns cause of fatal limo fire on San Mateo Bridge | abc7news.com

As I understand it, the California Highway Patrol investigators never brought up a theory about road debris. But I guess it could have been a combination of some kind of debris and the above.

Or has it been yet another fire?

Yes, that was the one I was thinking of. I just misremembered. There was another limo fire more recently too, but I can't remember (even incorrectly :) what caused it.