Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The future is now? [model 3 new owner review]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey-

Wanted to share my two cents on my Tesla, from the moment I first ordered the car till the day I took delivery and the first 1000KM driven this is such an innovative and exciting process/experience compared to traditional manufacturers. Yes you end up with a car at the end of both processes, but this has been more engaging and personal for me than anything I have felt buying a car before.

I average around 30,000KM a year.I have a good understanding of owning/driving cars and what to really expect with a one once the “new car smell” wears off.

I change my car about every 12-16 months for the last 10 years. I have never had any brand loyalty always just went with the most unique driving experience for the segment of car/suv/truck I am looking at trying. Give you an idea of what I have owned
My last 5 cars:
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
2020 Jeep Wrangler rubicon
2018 Mercedes C43 sedan
2017 GMC 1500 Denali
2016 Ford Mustang GT
When shopping to replace the SRT(replaced early due to catastrophic engine failure, dealer bought me out of the lease plus some)
I didn’t really know what I wanted so I drove the C43 wagon and was less than impressed…..but it did have the crackly AMG exhaust which is hard to pass up on.

I have always been a large fan of technology/innovation and everything else that l looked at with 4 doors online with a $100K budget just wasn’t exciting to me. Always loved the idea of a Tesla but never really considered one as I did not know enough about them.

I scheduled a test drive of a M3P & MYP and fell in love with the instant pedal response, the screen and how planted the M3P was to drive. The MYP drove to much like a cross over for me.

So I went home and watched every YouTube video I could find on the M3P and found this forum which helped me get an idea of real life ownership from current owners. These are my initial thoughts on the car after 1000KM driven.

1. The user experience- Tesla is light years ahead of any other manufacturer today that was in my budget.From the delivery process no pushy “sales manager” trying to upsell me, no more carrying a key, the app, the little touches I.E how the music starts playing once I open the door to enter and how it lowers when I open the door to exit, AC only turns on to each seat when it senses a body in the seat & the Spotify integration to list a few. Initially was quite concerned with the loss of Apple car play & XM, so far have not missed it.

2. Autopilot- this is an interesting one for me as I didn’t try it out when I did the test drive and was convinced I would never use it, had poor experiences in the past with the other brands enhanced cruise control. The ease of engaging the system tempted me to try it. I did a 400KM drive today and felt so relaxed during the long drive. To give you an idea this was on the busiest highway(401) in North America 18 lanes wide at its widest point during morning rush hour. Normally after a drive like that I am irritated after dealing with the all idiot drivers you encounter. Today just taking away the mundane task of stop and go traffic driving mixed in with lane centring and speed control when the HWY opened up. Made the drive a lot more enjoyable, I was in a better mood when I arrived because of Auto-Pilot than if I had not had it( the fact that basic auto pilot is free is astounding!)

3. Driving an electric- based on the KM I drive I thought no way could I ever go to an electric. After reading of what to expect on true range doing super charger mapping on my frequent routes( we are fortunate to have 150KW & 250KW chargers only) I realized this could potentially work for my driving patterns. Leaving my house everyday with an 85% charge is still taking some getting used to as I am have thoughts of what if I run out of juice during my day. I am sure this will subside with time and learning the cars true range based on my driving style.

4. Looks- this is purely subjective topic but I believe the M3P is such a unique looking car and is like nothing else on the road at first glance it’s like an English bull dog… it’s so ugly it’s cute. Now that I own it I have started to appreciate the exterior design, with the exception of the front end still looks like an angry frog to me. The interior was a bit scary for me coming from cars with more buttons than a modern day space ship half of which I didn’t know what they did, this is a breath of fresh air to control everything from the centre screen. The ease of use on the OS is seamless and I have found very little faults with using it on a daily basis( my two kids love the built in Whoopie cushion)

5. Build quality- I am going against the grain on this but I find this to be a well engineered/built car quite possibly superior product vs the competition in this segment. In a different way than most people look at it. Yes the interior isn’t as tight fitting as a Benz but with a Tesla you get so much more! What the Germans don’t bring to the table is the innovation & the recent engineering feats that Tesla has accomplished… who would of guessed 15 years ago we would have an electric car with a full electric“gas station” network built coast to coast OH! and has semi autonomous driving.
Now really what’s more impressive softer closing doors and better interior fit & finish or what Tesla has accomplished?

Worth a mention on the last 5 cars I have owned they all have had some panel gaps (both Jeep’s)poor stitching on the leather(srt), micro scratches on the paint (Mercedes-they run it through a touch car wash before delivery also had $20K of warranty work competed on it in my ownership) and terrible tech(Ford,GM) what I don’t understand about Tesla as a brand is the hyper critiquing they receive at time of delivery NO other car manufacture in the price range of M3 SR+ all the way to M3P faces this. With the forum posts I have read & YouTube videos I have watched of people tearing the build quality down , maybe we are looking at build quality with the wrong lens…Witnessed first hand when I was picking up mine an individual beside me callipers in hand measuring panel gaps, to top it off heard him demanding the car be hoisted so he could complete his inspection before delivery. Not to judge this persons rationale on why he felt this was necessary. Just don’t imagine other competing brands enduring this with pre delivery/post delivery scrutiny.(ever experienced the death wobble in older wranglers)no car is perfect at this price point.

I truly believe Tesla is a market distributor think Netflix to blockbuster… in the last ten years Elon has brought more innovation to this industry than the last 50 years combined.

Yes it’s not perfect car… but damn am I happy when I drive this car!!!

like nothing else on the road at first glance it’s like an English bull dog… it’s so ugly it’s cute.

Daisy just told me she’s highly offended!! But then she said you’re right - she’s so cute she forgives you. :)

All seriousness, I agree with everything you wrote … but for one last kicker, consider this: today, right now, is the *least* functional your car will ever be. Once you experience that first big software update that actually makes the car do things it didn’t do before? Mind blowing.

Enjoy the hell out of your new car!! Almost 3 years later and I still get the same giddy smile. That should tell you something!

7CE146EE-8F55-4934-AEAC-2110D7EB8D50.jpeg

I just picked up my M3 on Monday. I couldn't agree more. Even coming from another electric - 2019 Bolt EV - Tesla is in a league of its own.

I watched a bunch of videos and read forum posts while waiting to pick up the vehicle. I showed up for pickup, a little nervous about what problems I'd find, with a long delivery checklist that I found online. I've never been that thorough picking up a vehicle before. I found no issues at all.

I've "only" driven 150 miles in the last couple days, so I'm still a newbie and learning new things. I'm still figuring out how to maximize the experience - maybe an IOS app, what to do about garage opener, whether I'll stick with free streaming or upgrade to Spotify, etc. - but that's all part of the fun. I'm still watching videos and reading forum posts, more than I have with any other vehicle, because it's just that interesting.

I know I'll lose range in the winter. That's the case with any EV, including my prior Bolt. I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

Great to hear some common sense for a change. I've owned my LR AWD for 2.5 years and 42,000 miles, yes it has a few little glitches but it is so superior to anything else on the road. I live in Minnesota and am very familiar with winter driving in extreme cold. Yes, there is range lose but my 2013 Ford Escape looses just as much range. When you get in the M3 in -20F weather it does not hesitate, no waiting for a cold transmission to shift or for a cold engine to warm up so you can get some heat. Tesla makes the best cold weather car, in my opinion. You get into a nice warm cabin, put the car in gear and it performs perfectly. We take road trips in the winter, yes you do need to stop for charging more often just like fueling more often in a ICE car.

Great to hear some common sense for a change. I've owned my LR AWD for 2.5 years and 42,000 miles, yes it has a few little glitches but it is so superior to anything else on the road. I live in Minnesota and am very familiar with winter driving in extreme cold. Yes, there is range lose but my 2013 Ford Escape looses just as much range. When you get in the M3 in -20F weather it does not hesitate, no waiting for a cold transmission to shift or for a cold engine to warm up so you can get some heat. Tesla makes the best cold weather car, in my opinion. You get into a nice warm cabin, put the car in gear and it performs perfectly. We take road trips in the winter, yes you do need to stop for charging more often just like fueling more often in a ICE car.
Not to mention, you are saving money on gas. It's a win-win. Do you get range anxiety in winter or you have a home charger installed?

Hey-

Wanted to share my two cents on my Tesla, from the moment I first ordered the car till the day I took delivery and the first 1000KM driven this is such an innovative and exciting process/experience compared to traditional manufacturers. Yes you end up with a car at the end of both processes, but this has been more engaging and personal for me than anything I have felt buying a car before.

I average around 30,000KM a year.I have a good understanding of owning/driving cars and what to really expect with a one once the “new car smell” wears off.

I change my car about every 12-16 months for the last 10 years. I have never had any brand loyalty always just went with the most unique driving experience for the segment of car/suv/truck I am looking at trying. Give you an idea of what I have owned
My last 5 cars:
2018 Mercedes C43 sedan
2017 GMC 1500 Denali
2016 Ford Mustang GT
When shopping to replace the SRT(replaced early due to catastrophic engine failure, dealer bought me out of the lease plus some)
I didn’t really know what I wanted so I drove the C43 wagon and was less than impressed…..but it did have the crackly AMG exhaust which is hard to pass up on.

I have always been a large fan of technology/innovation and everything else that l looked at with 4 doors online with a $100K budget just wasn’t exciting to me. Always loved the idea of a Tesla but never really considered one as I did not know enough about them.

I scheduled a test drive of a M3P & MYP and fell in love with the instant pedal response, the screen and how planted the M3P was to drive. The MYP drove to much like a cross over for me.

So I went home and watched every YouTube video I could find on the M3P and found this forum which helped me get an idea of real life ownership from current owners. These are my initial thoughts on the car after 1000KM driven.

1. The user experience- Tesla is light years ahead of any other manufacturer today that was in my budget.From the delivery process no pushy “sales manager” trying to upsell me, no more carrying a key, the app, the little touches I.E how the music starts playing once I open the door to enter and how it lowers when I open the door to exit, AC only turns on to each seat when it senses a body in the seat & the Spotify integration to list a few. Initially was quite concerned with the loss of Apple car play & XM, so far have not missed it.

2. Autopilot- this is an interesting one for me as I didn’t try it out when I did the test drive and was convinced I would never use it, had poor experiences in the past with the other brands enhanced cruise control. The ease of engaging the system tempted me to try it. I did a 400KM drive today and felt so relaxed during the long drive. To give you an idea this was on the busiest highway(401) in North America 18 lanes wide at its widest point during morning rush hour. Normally after a drive like that I am irritated after dealing with the all idiot drivers you encounter. Today just taking away the mundane task of stop and go traffic driving mixed in with lane centring and speed control when the HWY opened up. Made the drive a lot more enjoyable, I was in a better mood when I arrived because of Auto-Pilot than if I had not had it( the fact that basic auto pilot is free is astounding!)

3. Driving an electric- based on the KM I drive I thought no way could I ever go to an electric. After reading of what to expect on true range doing super charger mapping on my frequent routes( we are fortunate to have 150KW & 250KW chargers only) I realized this could potentially work for my driving patterns. Leaving my house everyday with an 85% charge is still taking some getting used to as I am have thoughts of what if I run out of juice during my day. I am sure this will subside with time and learning the cars true range based on my driving style.

4. Looks- this is purely subjective topic but I believe the M3P is such a unique looking car and is like nothing else on the road at first glance it’s like an English bull dog… it’s so ugly it’s cute. Now that I own it I have started to appreciate the exterior design, with the exception of the front end still looks like an angry frog to me. The interior was a bit scary for me coming from cars with more buttons than a modern day space ship half of which I didn’t know what they did, this is a breath of fresh air to control everything from the centre screen. The ease of use on the OS is seamless and I have found very little faults with using it on a daily basis( my two kids love the built in Whoopie cushion)

5. Build quality- I am going against the grain on this but I find this to be a well engineered/built car quite possibly superior product vs the competition in this segment. In a different way than most people look at it. Yes the interior isn’t as tight fitting as a Benz but with a Tesla you get so much more! What the Germans don’t bring to the table is the innovation & the recent engineering feats that Tesla has accomplished… who would of guessed 15 years ago we would have an electric car with a full electric“gas station” network built coast to coast OH! and has semi autonomous driving.
Now really what’s more impressive softer closing doors and better interior fit & finish or what Tesla has accomplished?

Worth a mention on the last 5 cars I have owned they all have had some panel gaps (both Jeep’s)poor stitching on the leather(srt), micro scratches on the paint (Mercedes-they run it through a touch car wash before delivery also had $20K of warranty work competed on it in my ownership) and terrible tech(Ford,GM) what I don’t understand about Tesla as a brand is the hyper critiquing they receive at time of delivery NO other car manufacture in the price range of M3 SR+ all the way to M3P faces this. With the forum posts I have read & YouTube videos I have watched of people tearing the build quality down , maybe we are looking at build quality with the wrong lens…Witnessed first hand when I was picking up mine an individual beside me callipers in hand measuring panel gaps, to top it off heard him demanding the car be hoisted so he could complete his inspection before delivery. Not to judge this persons rationale on why he felt this was necessary. Just don’t imagine other competing brands enduring this with pre delivery/post delivery scrutiny.(ever experienced the death wobble in older wranglers)no car is perfect at this price point.

I truly believe Tesla is a market distributor think Netflix to blockbuster… in the last ten years Elon has brought more innovation to this industry than the last 50 years combined.

I am anxiously awaiting my delivery. Ordered September 2 and will probably not see till early November. Ordered from the Scarborough Store. Which store did you order or get yours from?

Buying a Tesla is very much akin to buying any Apple product. From their automated attendant phone system to meeting up with a "genius" - I mean sales advisor. The interesting part is that unlike regular car vendors, they have little to no sales pitch to make. You are not deciding here, to buy a GM, Ford, over any other brand - you are buying a Tesla. And very much like Apple, you have already determined what colour and spec your Tesla will have. In fact, there is absolutely NO horse trading here. The price is the price! You might get lucky with some quarter-end incentives like supercharging miles, IF YOU ARE LUCKY.

Now for the really fun part. In a world where EVERYONE is competing for your business, let alone your attention, THEY DON'T NEED TO CARE! If you want a Tesla, YOU will show up on their doorstep at your appointed time; go for your test drive; drool, then order your car. YOU will then wait a couple months while they build it. They are really a just-in-time manufacturer and thus control pretty much most of the process. It feels as though you’re camping in line to get that brand new and latest iPhone!

And when your car shows up and you are not satisfied with the (insert defect here), you have 160 km's to figure this out and EVEN refuse the vehicle and return it (I think). But YOU WON'T because it's a T-E-S-L-A!

OK, rant over, but I do find it amusing how they openly admit to using Apple’s playbook. In fact when I called, an SA called me back. I think their name was Kiri and I HEARD SIRI!!!!! How crazy is that. Finally I asked Kiri (Siri), if she could make my car get here sooner. "Sadly no"......

Great post. Thanks for sharing. It's particularly important that you gave your impression on build quality. I received mine and had no issues. These folks with calipers at their delivery make me laugh. It's so overblown. Like the fire stuff or hitting first responder cars. Loved the video from a Tesla the other day saving a BMW driver who was headed down the road while his car was on fire (and blew up). OK, didn't love it, you get what I mean.

Saw a post the other day where a guy that was considering cancelling because he was so freaked out about build quality. Sheesh!. I checked out my ICE car recently (soon to be sold for another M3) and it sure did have panel gap issues. Never noticed it before.

Enjoy the ride!

I am anxiously awaiting my delivery. Ordered September 2 and will probably not see till early November. Ordered from the Scarborough Store. Which store did you order or get yours from?

Buying a Tesla is very much akin to buying any Apple product. From their automated attendant phone system to meeting up with a "genius" - I mean sales advisor. The interesting part is that unlike regular car vendors, they have little to no sales pitch to make. You are not deciding here, to buy a GM, Ford, over any other brand - you are buying a Tesla. And very much like Apple, you have already determined what colour and spec your Tesla will have. In fact, there is absolutely NO horse trading here. The price is the price! You might get lucky with some quarter-end incentives like supercharging miles, IF YOU ARE LUCKY.

Now for the really fun part. In a world where EVERYONE is competing for your business, let alone your attention, THEY DON'T NEED TO CARE! If you want a Tesla, YOU will show up on their doorstep at your appointed time; go for your test drive; drool, then order your car. YOU will then wait a couple months while they build it. They are really a just-in-time manufacturer and thus control pretty much most of the process. It feels as though you’re camping in line to get that brand new and latest iPhone!

And when your car shows up and you are not satisfied with the (insert defect here), you have 160 km's to figure this out and EVEN refuse the vehicle and return it (I think). But YOU WON'T because it's a T-E-S-L-A!

OK, rant over, but I do find it amusing how they openly admit to using Apple’s playbook. In fact when I called, an SA called me back. I think their name was Kiri and I HEARD SIRI!!!!! How crazy is that. Finally I asked Kiri (Siri), if she could make my car get here sooner. "Sadly no"......
Congrats on your order!! The wait is worth it, I had a 3 week wait from order to delivery! Which was quite impressive.

Good comparison on the two brands, our house hold has adapted the full apple ecosystem, only natural I gravitated towards Tesla as they are quite similar hate to admit I stood in line for the iPhone 4 Lollol.
I ordered in Oakville.Hope you enjoy the new car. Yes

Reactions: Soul Surfer
Congrats on your order!! The wait is worth it, I had a 3 week wait from order to delivery! Which was quite impressive.

Good comparison on the two brands, our house hold has adapted the full apple ecosystem, only natural I gravitated towards Tesla as they are quite similar hate to admit I stood in line for the iPhone 4 Lollol.
I ordered in Oakville.Hope you enjoy the new car. Yes
Thank you for the response. I am now gravitating towards the P version, given that there are several available in Toronto. We will see......

I got my M3LR in December, so my experience *started* in the winter and only got better once the weather warmed up. You'll definitely lose some range, but it's a great vehicle to have in the winter.
What did you loose in range during the winter roughly? Does your car have the heat pump? As we live relatively close to each other, curious to see how the heat pump held up during the cold we both experience.

I got my M3LR in December, so my experience *started* in the winter and only got better once the weather warmed up. You'll definitely lose some range, but it's a great vehicle to have in the winter.
Yeah. I'm glad. But we're on different batteries. And do you have the heat pump? It's my understanding the 2170L batteries didn't start shipping with the LR till q2 of 21. But the batteries first showed up in the performance in q4 of 2020.

Mine does have a heat pump. Sadly, I don't have any good numbers to share. My first six months of ownership I charged exclusively at the SuperCharger too... and that was more than half of my daily commute away. What that means is... I drove roughly 60% of my work commute with a cold battery (so very inefficient).

I commute 30 miles each way, 5 days a week... (so 300 miles per week) and was charging 2 or 3 times weekly. I'd typically avoid charging more than 80ish percent, and tried to keep it above 20%.

Now that I have home charging, I suspect that simply preconditioning the car before leaving for work will improve efficiency considerably. Overall though, I've learned to just "forget about it" and drive. I don't worry about the battery % on my cell phone, and I don't worry about it on my car either. Set the charge limit at home to 60%, plug in daily when I get home and never think about it again. Mine is an LR... couldn't make sense of paying more for less range with the M3P.

Congrats on the purchase @aperrotta! The car is fantastic.

Hey-

My last 5 cars:
2018 Mercedes C43 sedan
2017 GMC 1500 Denali
2016 Ford Mustang GT

The last sentence is truly perfectly said!!

Reactions: aperrotta