Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The future of the car may be more like the Model T than KITT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm annoyed that Lyons story got so much traction.

Exactly my thought when I read it. The spin that everyone seems to take when quoting that article is: A Roadster is not a valid choice because their currently shipping product was initially delayed.

Idiotic logic in the original article, but it really annoys me that so many others repeat it, not understanding the lack of logic

They say that fuel efficient cars are more expensive than gasoline cars.

They should take into account the amount of money spent on the defense budget just to protect oil supplies and the suppliers of oil.
Also one can make the argument that money spent on imported oil increases national security risks and problems such as funding both sides in a war.

Drilling for oil locally does not solve the security problem entirely because our reserves are not adequate to cover all our needs and so we cannot be independent of the world oil market which can be manipulated by OPEC who can decrease production in order to drive up prices which then maintain support for the groups the US is fighting.

Add all that to the fact that prices of batteries, electric and flex fuel cars are going to go down when the technology is more researched and also made in mass-production. The price, in my opinion, will continue to fall especially for batteries, or at least batteries will hold more charge calling for fewer to be put in the car. Electric cars also need far less maintenance. Newer combustion technologies such as the sterling engine, will also help fuel efficiency while lowering weight and required maintenance.

There is likely little need to keep radio and AC out of cars either. Look at the aptera. They have managed a car built by a small company out of composite materials. They could do things in a cheaper way but they don't want to and they are bringing out a car, I believe, for 27,000. Now imagine them mass producing that on a level that toyota or gm would do, then add in all the price drops and improvements in all this new technology that will come.

Using composite materials apparently is safer as well. It seems that many are in dispute about what makes a car safer, but I do not know the truth with regard to this. I do know that some people don't want to be in a light car because of SUVs being out on the road at the same time. Hopefully cars as a whole will get smaller so this will not be a fear anymore, whether or not it has anything to it.

Unfortunately, with regard to cars, we do not and have not had a completely free market. For example, companies buying patents and then holding them so that nobody else can use them is against the free market in my opinion. We need to allow competition to happen, or make it happen if necessary and not let special interests prevent it from happening.

Drilling for oil locally does not solve the security problem entirely because our reserves are not adequate to cover all our needs and so we cannot be independent of the world oil market which can be manipulated by OPEC who can decrease production in order to drive up prices which then maintain support for the groups the US is fighting.

Even locally drilled oil is not ours. Much of it has to be put on the open market because of agreements made long ago.

First there is this:

Tesla Motors,..., has spent almost all of the $145 million in capital it has raised to date.

... but in the automotive world, fully developing an entirely new line of technology can easily run $1 billion. That is what General Motors’ first attempt at an electric vehicle, the EV1, was estimated to have cost to develop in the 1990s.

So Tesla has multiple patents on Battery, Motor, and PEM tech and is selling an amazing product. All for 145 Million. Wouldn't you rather give them the money that the company that spent one billion dollars to do the same thing?