TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

The GFCI topic

Discussion in 'Technical' started by TEG, Jun 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

For what it's worth, I've been charging my Chevy Volt using the 120V J1772 cord (that came with the car) for 10 months through a double GFCI setup without any problem. The GM charge cord has a built-in GFCI and I have it plugged into a garage outlet which was already GFCI protected.

I also bought a portable GFCI adapter for travel use and used it a couple of times recently where it protected an extension cord leading to the GM charging cord. No problems there either.

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

4. Vger

Vger Active Member

Hi TEG,
    On a recent road trip I tried at two separate locations to use my RFMC to plug into a GFCI 120V outlet, and in both cases, the GFCI in the outlet tripped when the contactor in the Roadster closed to start charging. I tried multiple times, and had the current limit set to 12A. Nothing worked. I had my standard Tesla 120V cord as well, but it would not fit the recessed outlet, so I could not try that. The standard cord also still has the original built-in GFCI, so I don't know if the double GFCI would have been more trouble anyway. Advice?

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I guess the RFMC doesn't have a GFCI so you weren't running into a double GFCI situation.
    It sounds like some PEMs had issues with current leakage causing these trips on some GFCIs.
    I am not an expert on this stuff, just an information gatherer. I guess you should double check that you have the lasted Roadster firmware, and ask a service advisor if they have any advice.

6. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Supporting Member

I recently went to two SemaConnect charge stations and got ground faults after 30 sec of connection...
    unable to charge on this network?? I have a 2.5 roadster...... anybody else have this problem?

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator