Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The "GOOD IDEAS" thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d like an old skool chirp, “nanu nanu”, Gene Wilder shouting “Alive! It’s Alive! It’s Alive!”, plasma ball white noise...whatevs when I (my fob) walk away from the car. A couple of updates ago my auto-lock bounced back to no lock. Took me about a week to realize I was leaving my car unlocked. I look like a dork peering back at my car as I walk away from it at work.

If I’ve overlooked an existing setting for that, please shame me appropriately. Which brings me to my 2nd ask...I want to peruse my S’s settings from my iOS tablet or Windows browser or Android tablet or Mac browser...anywhere other than just the front seat of the car (in my garage, with my coffee/adult beverage sitting on the garage floor). Being able to update them remotely would be sweet, but not necessary for Rev. 1.

I understand. I've been guilty of checking my phone app when I'm far enough away from my car to check if it's been locked.

Probably related to other requests--

The navigation system should allow us to select from more than one particular route. Currently, the programming emphasizes taking the Supercharger Highway even though there are other alternatives available that will not leave the driver stranded and looking for a place to charge. Many of these alternatives are more scenic, avoid metropolitan areas and traffic, and permit a more leisurely drive.

The map that shows Superchargers in use is becoming cluttered in metropolitan areas. Between the red pin and the horizontal line with the red hash marks, too many locations are now superimposed on each other. This needs to be tidied up. Perhaps make the pin slightly larger with a fraction that shows available stalls within the pin. It is easier to read 7/12 (seven available out of twelve) that it is to try to count the red hash marks or the vacant space to guess.

Increase the typeface size to accommodate us with middle-age presbyopia. Two pair of glasses (ordinary sunglasses and cheaters) are plenty for me. I don't need glasses to drive, but I need them to read the tiny letters and numbers on the touchscreen. We should be able to adjust the size of the typeface to suit our eyesight without fumbling around with our spectacles and becoming distracted.

Have the map on the touchscreen freeze at a desired aspect ratio. Every time I dial in or out to arrive at the ratio that I prefer, after a while, the map changes--sometimes it zooms in; other times it zooms out. Then I have to fiddle with it again.

Add a legend to the map. It is nice to know the approximate distance from where I currently am driving to the exit or junction that I need to take.

Upon reaching a Supercharger in a large shopping complex with structures like Temecula or Folsom--Palladio, or a vast area with "unnamed road" and parking aisles, have the touchscreen map show us the exact route to reach their precise location. It needs to be zoomed in significantly to show the quirks in reaching the location without driving around in circles. And I have noticed that once I get pretty close but take a wrong turn, the navigation system assumes I have reached the Superchargers and disappears from the screen.

when I (my fob) walk away from the car. A couple of updates ago my auto-lock bounced back to no lock. Took me about a week to realize I was leaving my car unlocked. I look like a dork peering back at my car as I walk away from it at work.

If I’ve overlooked an existing setting for that, please shame me appropriately.

My car won't stay unlocked for long, no matter what I do with any settings for walk-away locking, or security.. or whatever..

If yours is like mine, then no worries about walking away and having it stay unlocked. It will lock itself.

I think this new scheme is a pain from whenever it came along (it used to be different - stayed unlocked!) When I'm at home car in garage, leave the dang thing unlocked please.

So this is my way of asking for a "good idea" feature.

Geo-located locking prevention (stay open) zones that you explicitly pick when parked when leaving the car. And, like auto-raising suspension zones, you can press a little x to make the car forget these locking prevention zones if your mood changes.

Reactions: SDRick and conman
Mirror unfolding - every time I walk towards my car in a tight car park, the mirrors always get in the way when I approach it from the front. They should unfold when I open the door, NOT when I approach the car. Better yet, make it configurable. Also configurable unfold speed instead of making it fixed at 50km/h.

I would add just a bit to this...No reason to unfold the mirrors unless the Driver's Door is opened. Further more, no reason to unfold them unless there is someone Sitting in the Driver's Seat. Tesla has replaced the mirrors on my first MS more than once. I believe it was because the mirrors are unfolding more than a reasonable amount of times.

I would like an option to simulate the model X doors on the model S in terms of a button to open a door. They already have to push sensors for presenting the handles that they can use. Would make the car seem much newer design wise. Tweeted at Tesla and Elon from my old account with no tweets on but I doubt it gets there :p.

Last edited:
I would like the traction on the steering wheel to be used as an input hint to autopilot. For example, when coming to a bifurcation, if you are pulling to the left, it should choose the left lane. Additionally if you're close to a big concrete barrier on one side you'll find yourself naturally keeping traction away from the barrier; it should use this information to know to bias slightly to the other side.

Having the possibility to remotely use the windscreen wipers (the dashcam in the cloud is almost useless when it rains or snows...).

OK, this will cover off a lot in one gulp: remote the whole center console including the "car controls and settings" screens through the App.

It then becomes your choice to twiddle with settings and car features on your phone, or on the console. While in the car, or away from the car. Even a person in back seat could pull up the console on their phone and do what they want, or as directed by the driver - who would then have voice command and artificial intelligence working on the receiving end to get the job done.

Wanna be a tech company Tesla? Show us your chops.

Last edited:
Reactions: NeoDog and conman
A media widget would be excellent. I typically run the camera and navigation on the MCU and either have to use the steering wheel controls or switch apps to make a "significant" change to media. I think the screen is large enough that another ribbon the size of the fixed lower buttons could be added for control of media.

Reactions: chispas and conman
I’d like to resurrect the request to not restart the song on Slacker every single time you open and close the door. As stupid as it sounds, I bet that’s the single most annoying property of my car. I almost wrote “feature of my car”

I actually like this feature because I can keep replaying my favorite song! lol otherwise I spend the next 5 minutes skipping songs to play it again.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I'd like to be able to adjust the display brightness separately for the each display...For long night drives, when I don't need to access center display controls frequently, I'd like to be able to dim the center screen very low / off, while keeping the driver display on for AP / Nav / Media, allowing the cabin to remain darker...

Reactions: Donz_S and conman
Ability to control the charging current via the app so that it matches the solar output of PV panels. I need to go back in the car at 10 am to increase it and 2pm to decrease it. Why not do this from the app? Of course - even better, be able to replicate the entire MCU on the app as mentioned before would also solve this!