Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The "GOOD IDEAS" thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Inductive super chargers, or at home inductive chargers. Obviously a distant future implementation because it would be a vehicle redesign; but, in the same way that I can set my iPhone on the charging pad and pick it up at any time, my Tesla could "sit on the charger" and quickly depart for any number of reasons without needing to physically unteather from the mother ship.
Really, folks, cordless charging a car is a really bad idea. Charging your phone at a few watts is vastly different from charging your car at 10+ kilowatts. As the other poster pointed out, the magnetic fields required for this are dangerous in several ways. The power wasted in transmission inefficiencies to save people the "inconvenience" of unplugging is something this planet cannot afford. And, if unplugging a cable makes any significant difference in your life style, it might be a good time to reevaluate your life style.

Elon- Please enable audio on the browser.

I don’t want video. Just audio.

This seems like a simple thing to do (is it?) and if so would enable users to access the streaming music services of their choice such as Amazon or Pandora from the web player.

Just today someone on Reddit set up a web page that lets users access their Apple Music accounts on a browser.

Here’s a link: Apple Music Player

Can you do this Elon?

Thanks in advance!

Once Tesla updates the LCD screens to OLED they might implement some sort of "Night Panel" like Saab used to have.
When you are on the highway or using cruise-control/autopliot at night you can select it and all the panels turn to black,
except the speedo and battery icon. Big screen black, most of the dasboard screen black to make for a more comfartable driving as the screens are now like giant lights inside the car.
With Model 3 just show speed in white and battery.
Will keep eye strean to a minimum during the night.

Reactions: conman
You did not read my opening post. Whilst these are fair requests, they're not in the spirit of this thread.

Fair enough, conman. But all these ideas may be moot if Tesla does not get its house in order fairly soon. I submit that these ideas would become reality more quickly and work much better out of the gate if Tesla figured out how to run a business in a reasonably efficient and orderly fashion. Musk might be able to adopt some of these suggestions once the back room is organized. :)

How about a "variable speed" slide on the touchscreen to be able to manually adjust the windshield wipers to any speed from off to high. The AP2 neural net auto wipers still leave much to be desired, sometimes taking forever to initiate, and sometimes going like a frenzy in the mildest mist...but even with manual wipers, there still isn't much choice of wiper speed, so more options would make for safer driving, IMO.

Reactions: gnxs and conman
Tesla isn't reading this and/or is ignoring all requests here.

If they were reading, they'd FIX USB MUSIC
I have to say, after having completely given up on USB music for a long time, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that my car no longer randomly does hour-long rescans; playback seems relatively reliable for me, for the first time in years. Admittedly my standards have been reduced to the point where "does it work at all?" is my threshold of delight, the other UI offenses listed in the USB music monster thread still exist.

I suspect there's nobody at Tesla at all who owns the media player, it's the redheaded stepchild. Strange thing not to spend some resources on considering it's probably an easy win, but they're a strange company.

Reactions: neroden
I’d like to resurrect the request to not restart the song on Slacker every single time you open and close the door. As stupid as it sounds, I bet that’s the single most annoying property of my car. I almost wrote “feature of my car”
This is fixed in 2018.12. For me the songs now resume where they stopped.
fyi this is broken again in v9 (I'm presently on 2018.50.6). It did resume correctly for a few software versions, but Slacker once again restarts the last playing song at the beginning when you get in the car. You don't even have to lock the car or leave it parked for long - just getting out, closing the door and immediately reopening it, and Slacker restarts the song.

back to the OP's topic, my sugestion:

The current voice-command bug report feature is useless to submit more detailed info e.g. how to reproduce a bug, plus the voice recognition often misinterprets if it's anything even slightly complicated to describe.

Instead, how about: issue voice command "bug report details" and a dedicated bug-report window opens up on the touchscreen where you can type in more details about a bug you want to report. Then pressing "submit" bundles the typed message with a snapshot of other relevant car/MCU data and sends it to Tesla.

...AND... most importantly generates a reference number for your report with which you can follow up with Tesla support. Oh, and there should be some guarantee that someone actually sees and responds to your bug report, unlike the current black hole where bug reports seem to go.

[...]Admittedly my standards have been reduced to the point where "does it work at all?" is my threshold of delight, the other UI offenses listed in the USB music monster thread still exist.

I suspect there's nobody at Tesla at all who owns the media player, it's the redheaded stepchild. Strange thing not to spend some resources on considering it's probably an easy win, but they're a strange company.

that's probably true. and yes, many of the media player bugs would be so simple to fix, if anybody cared in the slightest. sad that our expectations are reduced to such a low level.

I would like for there to be a way to heat the battery to above that required for full regeneration by a certain time of the day (say first thing in the morning or to use the trip prediction climate control time) or via the app as required, much like turning on the climate control via the app.

I would like for there to be a way to heat the battery to above that required for full regeneration by a certain time of the day (say first thing in the morning or to use the trip prediction climate control time) or via the app as required, much like turning on the climate control via the app.

There's a way to precondition the car by starting the charge again in the a.m. (leave it plugged in overnight) and also turn on heating to some comfortable setting. You have to do this when you wake up, there's no timer setting for doing this.

What I've done is charge to 80% at bedtime. Wake up, then bump to 90% and go eat breakfast. Turn on cabin heat 15 minutes before leaving.