Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Grand Tour did Model X Review - Clarkson Liked it - Kind of

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BBC was right to fire him BUT he was the anchor for the show and is on the new one, one of the other two you might be able to come up with a replacement. BBC should have given up.

The childish absurdity and relationships between the three are what makes the show great. I want to see them do an episode with the guys from Ignition..

Reactions: skilly
Say what you will about him, but the team of three made Top Gear....you just have to watch it now to see that the magic is gone. Pretty sad that he couldn't keep it in check on set and avoid the fiascos that forced the BBC to take action.

Side note - the vid mentions the new roadster. Its impressive no doubt; however, ANY car in this category worth anything is delivering stats on its lap times in Nuremberg. The current stats while impressive, don't really mean much to this category of cars without it...and they have already opened up the reservation option ($250K for the founder series and $50K for the regular reservation). This is either a big oversight, or something that they know will detract from the debut of this car.

I think its essential for them to redeem themselves from the miserable showing done with the MS a couple of years ago; considering this is the only point of reference at the moment.

Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 8.26.20 AM.png

Reactions: CarbonFree
The 200kwh battery of the Roadster might not just be to deliver the voltage/amperage for the motor output but for thermal capacity to let it do some road course work., spreading the thermal load over a greater weight and surface area will not only let it run hard longer before the battery overheats but the extra surface area for cooling circuits might even let them better manage it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby and gavine
The episode came out yesterday. It was a reasonable and funny review. You get the gist of his points in the snippet in the first post.

Overall, he liked the car and said good things about it. He said a few negative things but had some...people...correcting him.

It was the tenth show of the second season. About a third of the way in.

In this season there have been a number of celebrities, during the celebrity head to head races, that mention that they own a Tesla.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby
IMO Elon/Tesla should never have sued them. Came out as a lack of sense of humor.

I mean this is the show that visualized Peugeot should be making cows instead of cars.

There are many opinions of Clarkson, but suing the show was a big misunderstanding of what it was about - and still is in the GT age.

Maybe it is an America vs. Europe thing. The humor "the boys" employ is very British.

If you take them seriously, you've already failed to understand them.

The trio employ the "9 year old" metaphor in a lot of other car reviews as well. Taking them literally is failing to understand them and the history of the show(s).

Case in point: Watch Hammond review the Huracan back in TG and then the latest revision of that Huracan in GT. There is truth and emotion there underneath the exaggerations and showmanship. All three IMO have this same quality in them, underneath their "characters".

It is not a factual review type of show (not since the TG 2002 reboot, same with GT), it is emotional entertainment, but it isn't intended IMO to be dishonest in its spirit - even though many stunts of course are pure stunts and they do make fun of the fact themselves.

It is over the top, it is scripted, but it also has plenty of shades of what they really think about the cars. And they do know cars and have genuine points about them.

Reactions: Cowby and Icer
What struck me as odd, was the claim of 351 miles on a full charge. Is the Model X actually marketed as 351 mi range in the UK?

That seems like pretty legitimate criticism if it still is.

I thought the review was positive, maybe even more than fair, since he didn’t harp on issues doors or half shafts that fill this board.

He even gave EAP a positive review, with the one caveat of lane changes with a fast approaching car from the rear, and that is also perfectly legitimate until the car can use the side and rear cameras together to recognize approaching vehicles.

If anything, he might have been gentler discussing the shortcomings of the car than I would be to somebody I was trying to convince to buy one.

The one thing that confused me a little was the order of events before the drag race.

The only way I can get the ‘I want my mommy’ prompt is using the ludicrous speed easter egg, either by holding it or using the shortcut. If I use the shortcut after enabling it though, it toggles it back off. So, either they recut that order of that scene or he potentially disabled ludicrous+ before the race.

What struck me as odd, was the claim of 351 miles on a full charge. Is the Model X actually marketed as 351 mi range in the UK?

That seems like pretty legitimate criticism if it still is.

I thought the review was positive, maybe even more than fair, since he didn’t harp on issues doors or half shafts that fill this board.

He even gave EAP a positive review, with the one caveat of lane changes with a fast approaching car from the rear, and that is also perfectly legitimate until the car can use the side and rear cameras together to recognize approaching vehicles.

If anything, he might have been gentler discussing the shortcomings of the car than I would be to somebody I was trying to convince to buy one.

The one thing that confused me a little was the order of events before the drag race.

The only way I can get the ‘I want my mommy’ prompt is using the ludicrous speed easter egg, either by holding it or using the shortcut. If I use the shortcut after enabling it though, it toggles it back off. So, either they recut that order of that scene or he potentially disabled ludicrous+ before the race.

On the drag race, my guess was that he was aware that you have to enable "Ludicrous Mode" prior to utilizing it (or someone did it for him) so the battery can take time to fully warm up. Since it was likely already enabled that would explain the steps that followed.

OK, just got around looking at the actual review.

That was actually a highly positive review from Clarkson of the Model X. Very, very positive.

Given the stuff they said about the other cars in the episode (the usual silliness - they kind for which Tesla sued), it was a glowing review of the Model X.

The smack talk the likes to Porsche and Range Rover got in this episode, Tesla got silk gloves.