TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The Great Debate: Loaded 85D vs P85

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Valkryst, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Valkryst

Valkryst Member

#1 Valkryst, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    So as I am moving towards my new Model S after the inventory debacle - I noticed that the 85D I was equipping was the same price as a P85 without some of the "nice to have" extras.

By removing the following from the 85D (on my 85P config), I was able to get both builds for roughly 100k flat:
    * AWD
    * Premium Sound
    * Dual Chargers
    * Premium Headliner
    * Air Suspension
    * Downgrade 85P wheels to 19''

Now all of the above are "nice to have" and I really don't want to spend much more than 100k on the new car. The range advantage from the 85D is nice but not really an issue. Dual chargers are also nice as there are many tesla wall chargers for free in my area.

So I guess it comes down to the following: luxury vs performance.

Which version would you get with $100k budget?

2. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I thought the compelling reason for the 85D is the AWD.

If your compelling reason is the smarter cruise control, then your approach should get you what you want.

3. Valkryst

Valkryst Member

I enjoy snowboarding, but the mountains I go to (typically) are far from treacherous. So Awd is in the "nice to have" category for me.

4. evme

evme Member

Everyone's needs are different so it is kind of hard to say. For my needs I would chose the 85D, though you can probably get a P85 quicker due to not needing to wait till next year. Now not sure if you are in queue to get a car or planning to get one. But there are a few options to consider if P85 is your goal. For example, a lot of people are unloading their brand new P85s and P85+ to get the P85D. So it might make sense to see what people have going.

5. PlanB

PlanB Banned

My 60 with 19" winter tires did better than my 2013 Volvo S60 T6 AWD in the snow so I am not sure the D and all the first run issues its probably go to have are worth it.

6. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

That's easy. All of the above. P85D :)

7. Vitaman

Vitaman Member

If you can live without autopilot, there some great buys on well maintained and even improved 6 to 16 month old barely used P85's out there.
    I would take a good look before ordering.

8. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

I second that. Buy from the secondary market.

9. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I'd say buy my P85+ but I sold it a few hours ago.

10. Valkryst

Valkryst Member

Where's the best place to look to buy a secondary P85 or P85+? I'd want one with autopilot which severely reduces the amount of choices.

11. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

You won't find any with the new auto pilot hardware. Only chance is loaner cars.

12. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

The air suspension is a must have on the P85.

13. DPDsModelS

DPDsModelS Member

Why is the air suspension a must?

I have a P85 on order without it and thought it would be the last available option I would order. Am I missing something?

14. Valkryst

Valkryst Member

I'm in the same boat... Why is that a must have?

15. Hawaii J

Hawaii J Member

For me it's a must have to get up my driveway (we live on the side of a mountain) and some nasty speed bumps and road conditions in parts of the island.

16. Olle

Olle Member

Frunk space is bigger in P85 than 85D…
    Can make a difference. I fit a baby stroller that wouldn't fit in the D trunk. Also the trunk well cover fits in my frunk

17. JST

JST Active Member

I disagree; I actually prefer the coils. I find the air suspension a bit disconnected and floaty. Ideally, I'd like a tighter coil setup, like lolachampcar was putting together, but even the existing coils are a better compromise imo than the air suspension.

18. SCDrJ

SCDrJ Member

Two things:

I gave up my S85 without autopilot on order for S85D with most options (just over 100k), so that's what I vote for. My thinking is S85D with the HP split between 2 axles is going to perform very well, and that the power of P85 RWD is often traction limited. For a commuter who will keep 19" wheels I thought S85D hit the sweet spot.

If you just want autopilot and not AWD, I would check with your local sales reps. I was told that hundreds of people changed orders to get AWD. Some of those orders must have been in production and hit the lot as inventory cars.

Both solid options.

19. PlanB

PlanB Banned

Air is NOT a must, it makes the car feel like a 1990's towncar. Cool is the way to go.

20. GSP

GSP Member

Easy choice for me: 85D with dual chargers and spring suspension.

Everyone has their own priorities, mine are range and handling. Acceleration on the 85D is excellent; plenty quick enough for me.

GSP