Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Great Key fob unboxing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok that's more grand than it is but there is a hint of Apple-ness in the packaging

front.jpg
side.jpg

batteries.jpg

They give you 2 batteries, it takes 1

I don't see anyway to hook any lanyard on it but that's ok for now

The process for pairing is unexpected but easy:

- go to your car
- go to tesla screen to add key card or fob (you need newer firmware)
- choose fob, follow instructions (be sure to have an existing paired key card)

newlock.jpg

add.jpg

Pretty much it's a keycard in a fob shape from what I can tell, one that can open the trunk/front and lock/unlock from some distance (I've not tried super far away yet)

I've not yet used it to go driving yet, just set up and tested.

Its interesting. It is a beautiful box, the fob itself is really really nice looking (at least in the pictures) and not only do they include the battery ;) but they provide an extra battery! But unfortunately, as has been relentlessly debated on many threads, it doesn't actually do very much! (But if it would allow me to summon in Canada; I know it doesn't seem to yet; I would buy one. )

how hard is it to tell the separate buttons apart while it's still in your pocket? without supporting passive entry, that's the only way i can see this being worth buying - if i can just reach into my pocket and easily feel the unlock button, click twice, and open (without having to get out my phone or the card)...

Ha, sounds like it beats my BMW experience. went for a second key, needed drivers liscense and title certificate in order to purchase the key. spend $187 on the key and then it doesnt work, the parts guy says "Oh, you need to have service department PROGRAM it" I take it tover to them and they say "Make an Appointment and it will be $180 to program it". At that point I walked out....came back for my minimalist "free service" a month later and said "gee my key fob stopped working" they reporgrammed it under warranty....F U BMW!!!!

Way too bulky to tie to a keyring and seems it would accidentally trigger clicks in your pocket if it hit anything. This key card debacle is the biggest regret of my model 3 ownership so far and it may seem small but i feel it every single time i get in and out of the car. It really sucks and Tesla really needs a proper passive entry keychain solution without clicks. Remove the buttons, slim down the shell and make it work Tesla.