Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Great Key fob unboxing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're right, I hadn't thought of that. Otoh, if a CCS equipped Model 3 can charge at an Ionity charging station, why should a CCS equipped other BEV not be allowed to use a Supercharger?
In the end it might be a case for the Eurocrats to demand an open architecture for everyone.
Charging stations will only accept the cars that their bosses want them to.
That's why:)

If you just carry the fob without the paired phone, how do you start the car? Will the car recognize the fob and let you shift gear to Drive?
I understand it works like the key card, so if you press the brake within 2 minutes of opening the car, you can drive it. Otherwise, you place the fob by the cupholder to move into D or R and then no longer need the fob to drive.

• Informative
Reactions: Robmil
Austin, question, have you been around Tesla stuff long enough to remember when there was no X and the S owners were complaining that they wished the fob was smaller, thinner? Their shouts were for a smart card. Something they could carry in the wallet. And another group at the time wanted to simply use their smartphone - passing on the smart card hoping the phone only method would happen sooner if they didn't ask for the smart card. After a while the complaining faded into the background and we heard no more about a smart card from these folks.

Now jump ahead three+ years and the 3 folks got only smartphone and smart card connectivity. And they have learned its not fun to use. And they wish they had the fob that the S folks didn't want. I personally am glad the 3 folks are getting the fob and the option of getting the fob if they want it. Those that are not unhappy can continue to use the smart card.

So what's my point? I think its simply ironic that those S owners that wanted a smart card are very quiet now harvesting the dislike from the 3 folks that really don't like not having the fob. Sometimes we just don't know how good we have it until someone reminds us we are well off, huh? :)

I have been following Tesla even when the Model S was still called project WhiteStar and have been active on TMC for many years as well.
I can't recall any discussions about the Model S fob, especially none about people asking for a keycard or phone app instead. Probably because I am not one of them either and concentrate on discussions about stuff that matters to me the most. On the contrary, I recall when I first saw the Model S fob I was so excited about its design I thought it a shame that no other manufacturer made fobs like it.

And when the first notions came that the Model 3 would be delivered without a fob, I went as far as to say this might actually be a dealbreaker for me. Glad that I don't have to worry about this any longer.
And I am even more happy that there is no passive entry feature associated with the fob, as this appears to be a great security risk. Tests by independent consumer reports asssociations over here have shown that almost all current keyless go / keyless entry / passive entry systems on the market are extremely easy to hack by car thieves who can steal your car without even having to break into it any longer. And as car theft is a major issue over here, this is a very relevant concern. Actually, the keyless entry feature is just about the only extra I omitted on purpose when ordering my e-Golf.

Charging stations will only accept the cars that their bosses want them to.
That's why:)

I thought Elon's mission statement was to further the transition towards sustainable transportation.
Excluding BEVs by other manufacturers from using the Superchargers doesn't seem to be in keeping with this mission to me.

I understand it works like the key card, so if you press the brake within 2 minutes of opening the car, you can drive it. Otherwise, you place the fob by the cupholder to move into D or R and then no longer need the fob to drive.

Or you can press any button the key fob to let it know that it's you. Instead of swiping the card or key fob, pressing any button will reset the 2 minute clock to allow you to start the car. If after two minutes, will need to press the button again or swipe the key fob or key card on the door or console to start the car.

I disconnected my phone to see how life would be without it. This is the one part that annoys me. In the garage, I don't need to lock the car. I'm still in the habit of being able to just get in and drive. However, without the phone, it bitches at me every time to swipe the fob/card or press a button. Very annoying. Praying that Tesla will be able to send a software update to detect the fob. Even if they don't allow passive entry, at least let it detect the fob inside the car so you can start it. This fumbling around to get to it in your pocket (or purse for some women) after you're already belted into the car is frustrating. So far, that's my only complaint with not having the phone as a key.

In the garage, I don't need to lock the car.

Interesting way to look at things. What if thieves break into your garage and steal your car?
Over here, in that case, if the car was unlocked, your insurance would pay you diddly squat for your stolen car because they would argue that it was your fault for not locking it. Having locked the garage instead of the car would not matter.

• Disagree
Reactions: luvnMyTS
Interesting way to look at things. What if thieves break into your garage and steal your car?
Over here, in that case, if the car was unlocked, your insurance would pay you diddly squat for your stolen car because they would argue that it was your fault for not locking it. Having locked the garage instead of the car would not matter.

Oh, so very NOT true. Insurance company cannot deny a claim because someone stole your car and it wan't locked. First off, how would they know if it was locked or not. Second off, I'm not too worried about someone breaking into my garage and stealing my car. If they're breaking into my garage, that's the bigger crime to me. Next, they still need a key to drive the car. Or, if they have a way to start the car without the key, then that means they could open the door without the key as well. And, if they're breaking into my attached garage, then they're likely not stopping at just the garage. Which means, once they're in the house, they could just grab the key card or fob and take the car anyway. Next, your going to tell me I should sleep with the key card glued to my ass when I'm sleeping to keep it protected from theft!! LOL

Amazing how some people want to find anything they can to criticize on the these forums, then say silly things that aren't accurate...apparently they're bored or something. I'm starting to understand Trump's feeling of "fake news"!!

Oh, so very NOT true. Insurance company cannot deny a claim because someone stole your car and it wan't locked.

Ever dealt with a GERMAN insurance company? Because that is what I was talking about. Of course they can deny a claim on such grounds, and they do so all the time.
If you in the US are better protected by better customer protection laws, good for you.

Next, they still need a key to drive the car.

You obviously have very little knowledge about car thieves.

Amazing how some people want to find anything they can to criticize on the these forums, then say silly things that aren't accurate...apparently they're bored or something. I'm starting to understand Trump's feeling of "fake news"!!

Amazing how some people believe they are experts in fields they obviously know very little about. Like the methods organised crime syndicates use to steal cars, the inner workings of insurance companies, or the general as well as specific reasons why people post stuff in forums.
Small wonder Trump finds it so easy to manipulate so many simple minded people with his constant lies.

And now, put down the popcorn y'all and return to the subject matter of the Model 3 key fob ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: Akikiki and TT97
Amazing how some people believe they are experts in fields they obviously know very little about. Like the methods organised crime syndicates use to steal cars, the inner workings of insurance companies, or the general as well as specific reasons why people post stuff in forums.
Small wonder Trump finds it so easy to manipulate so many simple minded people with his constant lies.

And now, put down the popcorn y'all and return to the subject matter of the Model 3 key fob ;)

OK, well if this "crime syndicate" comes to my house to steal my car, pretty sure whether it's locked or unlocked isn't going to make a damn bit a difference.

OK, well if this "crime syndicate" comes to my house to steal my car, pretty sure whether it's locked or unlocked isn't going to make a damn bit a difference.

Quite likely. But like I said, it matters in terms of insurance over here. If it wasn't locked, you don't get paid, if it was, you do. Simple as that. I know which option I would prefer.
Anyway, this is not about the Model 3 fob anyway, it was just a remark because someone said he likes to leave his car unlocked in the garage, because he "doesn't need to" lock it there. If this is ok over at his end, so be it. But since I come from a different background, I wanted to share why over here it would not be wise to leave the car unlocked, even if it is in a (locked) garage.
Moving on.