Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Green Act and 2021 Tax Deduction for Tesla Buyers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There has been much speculation in Tesla forums about the language in HRS 848, The Green Act, specifically: will those consumers who purchase a Tesla before the bill's enactment date qualify for the proposed $7000 tax deduction? So I spoke with Rep. Mike Thompson's office regarding the bill's language. (Thompson is one of the sponsors.)

His aide explained that the legislation as it is written now would provide for the deduction for those who purchased Teslas after the enactment date. "It is hard for legislation to go backwards," he said. Having said this, he emphasized that the bill is still in its early stages and could undergo revisions before it may advance to votes in the House and Senate.

As to the question of when The Green Act might pass both houses, the aide could not speculate. We need to work through the legislation addressing the pandemic first, he said.

I thought it important to clarify the bill's intent here because Tesla sales agents (at least the one I am working with) may be advancing the interpretation, erroneously, that the legislation will "retroactively" include vehicles purchased in 2021 before the enactment date.

Caveat emptor.

I thought it important to clarify the bill's intent here because Tesla sales agents (at least the one I am working with) may be advancing the interpretation, erroneously, that the legislation will "retroactively" include vehicles purchased in 2021 before the enactment date.

What's the old saying, "Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"?

I wouldn't trust anyone's word on what a possible bill may or may not contain. The honest answer is that nobody really knows what path this thing may take.

Reactions: Akikiki
There's many things the US government can do to promote BEVs, many of which cost little or nothing. For instance, they could facilitate the construction of charging stations on federal land.

If someone hands me a $7000 tax deduction with my shiny new Cybertruck, so be it, but it won't affect my purchase decision. Frankly I think that money would be more productive elsewhere, such as beefing up the national grid, but that might just be my ERCOT butthurt talking.

Reactions: SunCharged
What’s with the disagree/downvote?

I think it’s important to reiterate the very unlikelihood of having any potential credits be retroactive. Anyone saying otherwise is obviously a salesperson.

There's many things the US government can do to promote BEVs, many of which cost little or nothing. For instance, they could facilitate the construction of charging stations on federal land.

If someone hands me a $7000 tax deduction with my shiny new Cybertruck, so be it, but it won't affect my purchase decision. Frankly I think that money would be more productive elsewhere, such as beefing up the national grid, but that might just be my ERCOT butthurt talking.
Or, have both forms of incentives. Even a hair fraction of one percent of DoD’s annual budget could go a long way to building out a charging infrastructure.

Thanks OP for bring up this important question, I think it makes sense that this credit will only apply to purchases after it's passed. This however will also mean a significant reduction if resale value of Tesla vehicles, as people will be more willing to buy new instead of used.

I’m a new owner, Feb 14,2021, of a Y. It may be naive thinking, but since our taxes reflect the Jan-Dec year, wouldn’t it be easier to have the tax credit for EVs include the entire year? Of course, we are dealing with politicians and not necessarily logical thinkers.