TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The Grey Ghost - P85 Dark Grey Metallic with Suntek Matte Wrap and Blacked Out Chrome

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by gbdesai, Nov 10, 2013.

1. gbdesai

gbdesai Member

#1 gbdesai, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
    In case anyone is interested here's my Tesla after a few weeks of work.

1. I have 20" TSW Nuburbring's with 9s in front and 10s in back with Michelin PSS 255s in front and 285s in the back from American's Tires (in San Ramon, CA).
    2. The original paint is Dark Grey Metallic which was beautifully paint corrected by Immaculate Reflections (in Antioch, CA).
    3. Tinted with PhotoSync 55 all around plus pano and 75 on the windshield through Premier.
    4. Finally I got the car wrapped and blacked out by Elite Auto Film (now Design) in Fremont, CA. Still waiting on new blacked out emblems.

GreyGhost_01.jpg GreyGhost_02.jpg GreyGhost_03.jpg GreyGhost_04.jpg GreyGhost_05.jpg GreyGhost_06.jpg GreyGhost_07.jpg GreyGhost_08.jpg GreyGhost_09.jpg GreyGhost_10.jpg GreyGhost_11.jpg

G

2. badgerlake

badgerlake Member

3. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

That is one good looking car. Well done.

4. Jeddi

Jeddi Member

Very nice. What city do you live in (so I can keep an eye out for you)?

5. gbdesai

gbdesai Member

Danville, CA, how about you?

6. Jeddi

Jeddi Member

I'm in Hayward Hills (do must of my shopping in Danville).

7. gimp_dad

gimp_dad Member

Excellent. Love the new look of the wheels and tires. What did you do to get the Tesla logo on the hub cover?

About to have a very similar setup with the same rims but in 21" configuration and mirror cut.

Did you go from 21" rims or 19"? How does the handling compare?

8. gbdesai

gbdesai Member

There is a thread on the forum of someone else with the TSWs and he found a Chinese outfit that does the 3D stickers. I ordered them with the same specs as him and got them in about 8 days. The adhesive is ultra strong and works great. If you have trouble finding it let me know and I'll search for the thread for you.

UPDATE: Found it...
    Center caps for aftermarket wheels

I changed the wheels/tires out on my way back from factory pickup. Regardless I think the handling is superb. I had a P85+ loaner and I can't tell much of a difference between that and mine in most driving situations even hard cornering. This is after I had Tesla do a wheel realignment, prior to that even the stock 19s pulled a little to the right under heavy accel. I think the Michelin PSS have a lot to do with it.

BTW, do get the tire insurance certs. My right rear developed a sidewall bubble within 2 weeks and they replaced it 100% free, it would have cost around $360 otherwise. Think it even covers accidental damage.

9. gimp_dad

gimp_dad Member

Thanks. Email sent to the sticker company.

Good to know about certs. Seems like a sidewall bubble should be covered by manufacturer warranty. Wouldn't it?

I am going to have to wait until next set of rubber to feel the benefit as I went with the Hankook Evo's which are solid but not a step up from even the Contis. Going all the way for PS2s next time.

I'm really glad to have your experience to help guide my efforts!

10. gbdesai

gbdesai Member

The bubble may be covered unless they determine if it was impact damage, which I'm pretty sure it was not. Regardless its their problem to take care of, I get my tire...

Post some pics when you get setup...

11. simplesolar

simplesolar Member

are you having rubbing issues in the front running the 255? I am running the same setup, but rubs at certain angle during reverse.

12. gbdesai

gbdesai Member

I was getting rubbing backing out of my garage on high angle turning, but after the alignment by Tesla no rubbing at all. Next time you're in ask em to look at it...

13. DIL

DIL Member

Will definitely keep an eye out for the Grey Ghost. One good looking beast! I'm in Danville too.

14. wormhole

wormhole Banned

Nice....one teeny tiny suggestion, powder coat the lugs to match those great wheels :)

15. gbdesai

gbdesai Member

Funny I was just thinking about that yesterday, it was bothering me too.

16. Sunfishsolar.ca

Your car looks great, I when sort of the opposite. 20's 255's on the front. 285's on the back. 3M anthracite gloss, but flat nose.

Attached Files:

17. gbdesai

gbdesai Member

That looks sweet. I thought about anthracite too before I went with the matte.

18. gnychis

gnychis Member

how much were those wheels? can't seem to locate the manufacturer website

19. Sunfishsolar.ca

Mine Or his? Mine are mr 126's montegi racing. 8's in the front and 10's in the back. I painted them stainless steel spray bomb. They come in black or white.

20. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid