TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The GRIN

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dedicatedtek, Apr 20, 2016.

1. dedicatedtek

dedicatedtek Member

So, I've had my Model S for exactly 1 week. Grin included, of course.

But, just now as I was cruising down the highway midday, ( doing the speed limit ), I passed a GMC Acadia who was going a little slower. I got about 10 car lengths ahead and moved to the right lane, when they sped up to catch up to me. They didn't pass me though, they came along side to take a picture.

Biggest GRIN ever ! Best car ever !

• Like x 7
  2. green1

green1 Active Member

Get used to it, you'll get lots of grins and thumbs up with this car (For those of us who live somewhere outside of California where there are thousands of Model S)
    It's funny, I find this car to be relatively subtle, certainly more so than my last 2 vehicles, but even so, it gets more attention than I ever would have expected.

3. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

I agree completely. It's a continuous occurrence - literally every day. I've gotten everything from a basic thumbs-up to people coming up wildly excited, asking to be photographed next to. I've had it from professionals, business people, mechanics, students, men, women... literally anybody. And most surprisingly, for such an expensive car, I have never had any derision whatsoever

4. int32_t

int32_t Tesla Spotter

I take a photo of every Tesla I see. (Because I'm creepy like that.) It's probably a good thing I don't live in California ... my phone would never be in my pocket!

They don't stand out like other cars by being jacked up or wearing giant tires or making extra noise with bad mufflers. Tesla's cars look so nice, they stand out naturally.

The grin isn't an exclusively Tesla phenomenon; it has been associated with electric vehicles of all types. This by no means makes it any less special though! :cool:

5. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I know that it's it's all ego validation. But isn't it great?!! At first I was uncomfortable with the stares because I am a very low profile kinda guy. Now I enjoy it. I know it's superficial. But once in awhile, I can give myself a break and allow my ego to feel good. And it's funny, everybody knows my car and I get comments like "I parked next to you car". Now how's that for a product being a cultural icon? And I live in the Bay Area, where the most Tesla's are. You'd think that we were insensitive to them by now...

It's just plain fun.

• Like x 2