TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The Handiest Custom Setting in my Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by ToddRLockwood, Aug 11, 2013.

1. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

#1 ToddRLockwood, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
    Here's an incredibly handy custom setting that I suspect many Model S owners overlooked... setting the right-hand scroll wheel (on the steering wheel) to control display brightness. (I prefer the way my touch screen looks in Night mode, even in the daytime, so I've set it to Night instead of Auto.) With the scroll wheel I can instantly adjust the screen brightness for any situation. This works much better than relying on Auto mode.

To set up the right-hand scroll wheel to control display brightness...

1. Press & release the steering wheel button below the right-hand scroll wheel.

2. Turn the scroll wheel (without pressing it) to select Customize, and press & release the scroll wheel.

3. Turn the scroll wheel (without pressing it) to select Display Brightness, and press & release the scroll wheel. That's it!

2. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

I prefer to have it hooked to control the temp setting. Important here in the desert.

3. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

I can see that. But it's particularly nice for a setting like display brightness which requires digging into the settings windows.

4. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

I can see your point!

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I use several of the scroll wheel settings (brightness and sunroof are the main ones), so just having one is more inconvenient for me. 4.5(61) has removed the flash from night to day that used to happen on the display when entering the parking lot at work (really annoying in 4.4).

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I have it hooked to fan speed control. Not needed in the summer, but last winter I found this was essential. The auto settings had the annoying tendency to turn the fans way down, causing the windows to fog over in short order.

Maybe the improvements they have made to the HVAC controls will make this unnecessary... we'll find out next winter.

7. spleen

spleen Active Member

+1. Same here in HI. :)

8. Nikoli

Nikoli Member

I use it for the sunroof in summer, fan speed in winter.

9. Nickjhowe

Nickjhowe Member

@Todd - I played around with different options and settled on yours. Although I'm in Florida and mess with the A/C temps constantly, I find I need to adjust the display brightness even more frequently. Plus the temp controls are always on the 17", whereas the on-screen screen brightness control is hidden and fiddly.

I recently tried different options for the scroll wheel, but immediately went back to display brightness.

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

When I see threads like this, I think that the right-wheel setting should be part of the user profile. I can't remember if it is or not, because my car is a single driver vehicle so it's moot.