Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Handiest Custom Setting in my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's an incredibly handy custom setting that I suspect many Model S owners overlooked... setting the right-hand scroll wheel (on the steering wheel) to control display brightness. (I prefer the way my touch screen looks in Night mode, even in the daytime, so I've set it to Night instead of Auto.) With the scroll wheel I can instantly adjust the screen brightness for any situation. This works much better than relying on Auto mode.

To set up the right-hand scroll wheel to control display brightness...

1. Press & release the steering wheel button below the right-hand scroll wheel.

2. Turn the scroll wheel (without pressing it) to select Customize, and press & release the scroll wheel.

3. Turn the scroll wheel (without pressing it) to select Display Brightness, and press & release the scroll wheel. That's it!

Last edited:
I use several of the scroll wheel settings (brightness and sunroof are the main ones), so just having one is more inconvenient for me. 4.5(61) has removed the flash from night to day that used to happen on the display when entering the parking lot at work (really annoying in 4.4).

I have it hooked to fan speed control. Not needed in the summer, but last winter I found this was essential. The auto settings had the annoying tendency to turn the fans way down, causing the windows to fog over in short order.

Maybe the improvements they have made to the HVAC controls will make this unnecessary... we'll find out next winter.

@Todd - I played around with different options and settled on yours. Although I'm in Florida and mess with the A/C temps constantly, I find I need to adjust the display brightness even more frequently. Plus the temp controls are always on the 17", whereas the on-screen screen brightness control is hidden and fiddly.

I recently tried different options for the scroll wheel, but immediately went back to display brightness.