Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The high-pitched whine during acceleration...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the acceleration whine everyone is talking about, everytime I floor it, people ask me why my car makes that sound and that I should get it checked out... :frown: Attached if you want to hear my woes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzqlLTVBCI52Tk5qMUVKZUh1eWM/view?usp=sharing

Just got a call from service, they said the milling sound at 20-35 mph is "within tolerances" and "normal". Was advised to bring it back if it gets worse or drive unit malfunctions. Also said that the acceleration whine is normal... Not sure what else to do? :confused:

Mine said the same thing. Very frustrating because it's loud and getting louder. Plus, it wasn't there before.

Just got a call from service, they said the milling sound at 20-35 mph is "within tolerances" and "normal". Was advised to bring it back if it gets worse or drive unit malfunctions. Also said that the acceleration whine is normal... Not sure what else to do? :confused:

I've got about 57k miles on my drive unit and have heard the high pitched sound during spirited acceleration since the beginning. I just heard for the first time the same (similar) noise while supercharging which I thought was interesting since the drive unit is not in use. It seemed to emanate from under the front end of the car and was distinct from the usual fan/AC compressor noise while supercharging. I was at a low SOC a a brand new supercharger (NJ turnpike) so delivering rapid amount of charge.

You've informed them that your unit makes a milling sound. Record the date/time and any evidence that you've informed them. I would also get a dash cam because you never know what could happen. My friend had his drive unit fail during heavy high speed traffic. He almost caused two accidents trying to get to the shoulder without getting rear-ended. He wonders what would have happened in the same situation if his teenage kids with less experience was driving the car. He now has a dash cam installed on the small chance another car failure puts him in another dangerous situation.

You've informed them that your unit makes a milling sound. Record the date/time and any evidence that you've informed them. I would also get a dash cam because you never know what could happen. My friend had his drive unit fail during heavy high speed traffic. He almost caused two accidents trying to get to the shoulder without getting rear-ended. He wonders what would have happened in the same situation if his teenage kids with less experience was driving the car. He now has a dash cam installed on the small chance another car failure puts him in another dangerous situation.

If a DU failure put an owner in a dangerous situation, shouldn't that be reported to NHTSA?

Less mentions of the balloon squeal lately but I have had everyday since taking delivery in July 2013, drive unit was replaced almost a year ago for the "clunk clunk" noises & had hoped the squeal would go away for awhile but it never did.

Since upgrading to 7.0 firmware about a week ago the balloon squeel is gone. I have had the squeal since the beginning of ownership (62k miles) under hard acceleration. At first I thought it could be due to recent cold temperature change but yesterday was warm again and I couldn't reproduce the sound (and I tried hard:smile:). Not sure how a firmware update could fix this but I'm happy.

Ours is loud enough now to hear it approaching highway speeds. SC claimed it was "normal". Getting louder each month so its clearly NOT "normal". Will be visiting SC sooner or later.

you may need to become a squeaky wheel, move your complaints up the food chain because the SCs will try to sell "the it's not a serious problem nonsense".
it is a problem because the car is running out of spec and you deserve a properly running vehicle. here is a long thread for you to read:
https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=620a7e68d045f233c0d12266a2409da6&oe=56C60383