Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The high-pitched whine during acceleration...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving the Nissan Leaf earlier today and noticed a constant motor whine. It is very subtle, but noticeable if you are listening for it. It was present both during acceleration and at constant highway speeds. Doesn't really bother me though. Maybe this is related to Model S whine during acceleration? I must say that I haven't noticed it on my non-perf.

Strange Sound at 200+ kw ?

I noticed a strange sound coming from the car when I go hard on the acceleration - it sounds like a squeaky leaking balloon coming from the back of the car - and when i called service about it they told me that this has been a 'normal' occurrence at such power level usages and went on to say they noticed their demo cars had it, and several other cars had it also.. so it is considered to be a natural noise to the car .... but i have never heard this before.. and i am wondering if any on the forum have heard this sound at such power levels ?

the best i can describe the sound is sort of like here - its a noticeable sound,.. somewhat minor but disturbing nonetheless...

and i hear this sound when I hit the power usage as marked in RED below -

Has anyone else heard this / have this issue ?

View attachment 14371

the speed at which this happens isnt consistent.. ie) it can happen when i am going from 0-100km/hr.. at the 80km/hr mark.. but then later when i am cruising at 80km/hr ( much lower power usage ) - you do not hear the sound.. the sound is triggered at the 200+ kw power usage.

Last edited:
Could the noise be fan noise/vibration coming through the chassis? What about interference from the heating or fans when they draw more power to operate at colder/warmer temps? Motor pitch through the body? Interference through the sound system?

Or could it just be more audible in some cars and it's just the motor? Don't have mine yet so it's all speculation on my part. What about resonance through the car from road/tire?

Could the noise be fan noise/vibration coming through the chassis? What about interference from the heating or fans when they draw more power to operate at colder/warmer temps? Motor pitch through the body? Interference through the sound system?

Or could it just be more audible in some cars and it's just the motor? Don't have mine yet so it's all speculation on my part. What about resonance through the car from road/tire?

No, I'm pretty sure it's coils in the power inverter vibrating. You can tell it's the inverter because the sound changes slightly as you alter the throttle setting, but doesn't change with the speed of the car.

Every coil is just a little different, because it's impossible to wind a coil with completely evenly spaced windings. Once you get to the third level they inevitably start jumbling up a bit. As a result some coils will have a slightly loose winding in there that didn't get completely gooped, and it will vibrate due to the magnetic forces going through it.

Upshot is some cars will do it more than others, and it isn't anything that would affect the performance of your car in any way.

The whine appeared about five days ago. New. Is related to low-level acceleration, as I go between 10and 20 kW. Best heard at 30mph. Annoying. Not cool, not sci-fi, not Bat Mobile either, as it is more like a bad case of tinnitus. I actually increase or decreas acceleration to avoid it. Can hear at higher and lower speeds as well. Fades above 20kW, below 10kW. Thoughts? I mean other than earplugs. I have been waiting for it to just go away - it is definitely coming from within the motor. To be clear when I gun the accelerator, I do not hear it. It is similar to that high-pitched sound at full acceleration, but a little louder and similar moreso to a post-Who-concert ear ringing. Feedback welcome.