Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Hilarious Thumbs-Down--a Model S first?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well said Dragonfly. Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder on the Prius. I'm not a fan, but I've got friends that love theirs.

In the Tesla thumbs-up category, I've seen a wide diversity of pro-Tesla folks. I get hippy types, business types, older conservatives, college kids, and such are all excited. For whatever reason, anti-Tesla folks seem to consistently fit the "conservative" caricature. I'd like to think this means that Tesla has a broad appeal, that there's something of value for a diversity of folks to find desirable.

... it is also a wonderful commuter car with a top-notch reliability record.

I'll agree with that statement.

I'll amend my condemnation (doorstop design aside), admitting they do have a functional place as commuters. They will get you from point A to point B. That said, the amount of rare-earth elements it takes to build a Prius, Leaf, or Volt is astonishing and encourages our reliance on countries like China for rare-earths, or Afghanistan with it's untapped reserves of rare-earth minerals. The Tesla is less of a rare-earth hog than these vehicles, and I like that.

To stay on topic, only an ingnorant fool would thumbs-down a Tesla and only an @$$hat would key one, regardless of political affiliation. :)

Last edited:
The only negative comment I have received was sort of silly: How do you like driving an electric car in the rain?
My reply: How do you like driving a car with a tank of combustible liquids every day?

Well, beauty is in the imagination of the beholder on the Prius.
There, I fixed it.

For whatever reason, anti-Tesla folks seem to consistently fit the "conservative" caricature.
This is just that stupid attitude some people have where they don't think for themselves and feel that everything must be taken as being on one side or another, and they they need to oppose it to prove some point.

On the way home from the Columbus SC yesterday I got at least 6 thumbs up. Including one from a guy in an Expedition (go figure) who was SO enthusiastic he was almost touching the passenger window with his thumb and seemed almost hysterical he was so excited.

I think many Tesla Model S owning families will have a second vehicle, often a truck, SUV, or other ICE vehicle that serves a different purpose. Speaking for myself, our second car is a GMC Yukon XL and I am hysterically excited to receive my Model S when the multicoat red enters production. So, I can easily understand how your Expedition driving friend reacted since I would likely do the same thing! :)

Heh, as usual, any discussion and I get hit with negative rep. The comment being "there are plenty of anti-MS leftists".

Ok, well, first, I'm not sure what anti-MS means in this context. What's MS?
Second, if MS was supposed to be Tesla, I didn't say there weren't detractors on the left. I said the majority are on the right. Had I meant anti-Tesla folks were only on the right, I'd have said "exclusively", which of course would be absurd.

So, for whoever felt compelled to punish me, hopefully that adds some clarity.

Heh, as usual, any discussion and I get hit with negative rep. The comment being "there are plenty of anti-MS leftists".

Ok, well, first, I'm not sure what anti-MS means in this context. What's MS?
Second, if MS was supposed to be Tesla, I didn't say there weren't detractors on the left. I said the majority are on the right. Had I meant anti-Tesla folks were only on the right, I'd have said "exclusively", which of course would be absurd.

So, for whoever felt compelled to punish me, hopefully that adds some clarity.

i wouldn't stay up late beating yourself up about negative rep on tmc.com...

a) was super anti-EV (I love me some engines, even in 130 hp rice burners with gigantic spoilers)

The Town of Los Gatos, California has six Chargepoint stations in four public parking locations. They charge a flat rate of $2.50 per charge but the parking stalls in front of each charging station are not specified for electric vehicles only. Anyone can park in front of the charging stations.

Here is an article from the Los Gatos Weekly Times (the community newspaper) describing how a clearly anti-EV person parked in front of a charging location even when the rest of the parking lot was empty. He simply wanted to prevent an electric vehicle from charging.

Owners of Electric Vehicles Charged Up Over Blocked Stations

i don't see how this is possible. is it because Li-On batteries are "greener" than Ni-Cd?
The Prius uses Nimh, not Ni-Cd batteries(big difference, Cadmium is very toxic, and Ni-Cd batteries are only a small step above lead-acid ones). Nimh batteries by design MUST use rare-earth elements (lanthanum, cerium, neodymium, or praseodymium).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel–metal_hydride_battery#Electrochemistry

Lithium-ion batteries on the other hand use absolutely zero rare-earth elements (I know because I checked exhaustively):
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...bberish/page66?p=114293&viewfull=1#post114293

Yeah don't be bad mouthing the Leaf, it is a wonderful car and looks great in the garage charging next to our Models... :)
WP_20130309_015.jpg

Some of us are anti-ev, pro Tesla. No one should be subjected to life in a Prius or Leaf just because they will save the planet. They are hideous cars. The Tesla is a beautiful car with a unique drive train and proves there are other options to the ICE paradigm
"subjected to" "hideous"? Really? Two fat thumbs down on that nonsense. Although I have been known to say a quick "Prius. . . ppffffftt" under my breath while driving around in the LEAF. We all have our biases. It's just really starting to drive me crazy the way final judgements are blithely dropped for (& with) no apparent reason. Ugly? Not fun to drive? Ever driven a LEAF? btw that lawnmower is really ugly. Anyway, I'll keep giving an enthusiastic wave/thumbs up to the other (few) LEAFs around town until I cross paths w my first 'in the wild' MS. At which point . . .is there a single Tesla in all of Utah? ML

"subjected to" "hideous"? Really? Two fat thumbs down on that nonsense. Although I have been known to say a quick "Prius. . . ppffffftt" under my breath while driving around in the LEAF. We all have our biases. It's just really starting to drive me crazy the way final judgements are blithely dropped for (& with) no apparent reason. Ugly? Not fun to drive? Ever driven a LEAF? btw that lawnmower is really ugly. Anyway, I'll keep giving an enthusiastic wave/thumbs up to the other (few) LEAFs around town until I cross paths w my first 'in the wild' MS. At which point . . .is there a single Tesla in all of Utah? ML

Touché. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm extreme "right wing", and live ev's.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually worry about a, b, c, and d's scratching or damaging my car.

I have zero range anxiety but a fair amount of rage anxiety about left, right, or independent nutjobs that burn SUV's (my Tahoe) and key "GAs4eVr" into EV's (my Tesla) for fun. I can't win either way depending on what I drive.

Kind of wish the battery was hooked up to the aluminum in a soft of electric fence kind of way . . .

If anything, it's not "D" that would damage your. car, as we know the value of a hard earned dollar. It would more likely be "E", The far Leftist who is Jealous That you did not share the wealth and buy them one as well with your money.