Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The horn no longer works on my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm so confused. You say your Model 3 has stopped working - what specifically has stopped working? What do the dash cam and the steering wheel have to do with one another?

Have you tried pressing and holding both steering wheel scroll wheels to reboot the infotainment computer? This may resolve whatever issue you're having.

My model 3 suddenly stopped working no matter where I push….it clicks and the dashcam records but no sound. Any idea how much this will cost if I need to replace the steering wheel (out of warranty)?

I think you are talking about the horn?

The model 3 has two horns. There is a high tone and low tone horn. You can open the app and test them. Go to controls and hit the horn button. That's the high tone horn. Then click lock and unlock. That's the low tone horn.

If your horn doesn't beep with the app it's not your steering wheel that's broken. It's the horn. If you went through a large amount of water you may have gotten it wet. It's not a big deal and happens in various cars often. You might get lucky if it dries out sometimes they start working again.

I just had my horn assembly replaced free of charge under a warranty repair by the mobile service team. It looks like it would have cost about $130 according to the original estimate had I been on the hook for the bill. It took about 20
minutes to replace. The tech told me that they had quite a bit of these go bad in the early builds of the model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
I just had my horn assembly replaced free of charge under a warranty repair by the mobile service team. It looks like it would have cost about $130 according to the original estimate had I been on the hook for the bill. It took about 20
minutes to replace. The tech told me that they had quite a bit of these go bad in the early builds of the model 3.
Did you see where the horn is located? I’d like to replace my OEM horns with something much better

Can anyone tell me where the horns are and how to replace them?

Not my picture but someone posted in another thread. Looks to me like you probably need to take the wheel liner off to change it out.

20210602_104257.jpg

My M3 horn started working intermittently and usually only with high tone. I drove in for service and was told there was some history of issues with wiring. They ended up replacing the horn and charging $155. Didn’t know what was wrong with it saying maybe water damage. I was surprised it wasn’t covered. Never had a horn go bad in 28 years of driving, let alone in a 4 year old car.

I just received a quote for $442 to replace the horn. I think this quote is a little inflated. I may attempt to replace on my own.
Previously the horn started working after I had the heater running on high for about 10 minutes. So I decided with a quote to invest 10 minutes of my time to dig in further into the issue. I removed three clips of the wheel liner on the front left wheel to get partial access to the horn and ran a heat gun on low setting over the horns for about 1 minute and the horns (low and high tone) are working perfectly. So there is probably just some humidity in the connectors. When the weather improves, I will remove the wheel, liner and clean the connectors. Probably will take about 20 minutes. So for others that the horn doesn't work with the app or the steering wheel this may be something to try before shelling out a significant amount of money for a minor issue.