TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

The idiocy of the Maps and Camera screens is getting irritating....

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by djsinc, Jan 12, 2017.

1. djsinc

djsinc Member

Maybe it is just me, but on a typical trip, my normal preference is to have the maps and the camera windows up on the screen.

Occasionally, I will want to change the music station, or view another window temporarily. After doing this, in order to change back to a maps+camera screen, it is quite annoying to have to make multiple taps up and down swapping windows to make this happen.

Is there a configuration that makes this less of a hassle when driving at highway speeds?

At least with the old scheme it was always clear that the new window would be on top. Now it is just more annoyance than convenience.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  2. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

When you bring up a new app, keep your finger on the icon for a second or so. Then a divided box will pop up around the icon and you can put the new app in the top half or bottom half. Not ideal, but better than multiple actions.

• Informative x 3
  3. kort677

kort677 Active Member

just curious, why do you need the rear camera always on?

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  4. akira3d

akira3d Member

I can understand wanting to have the rear camera on since the view through the rear mirror is somewhat restricted in the X, especially when the third row seats are up...and I too tend to put my rear view in the top window when I have it on (so I understand why some would prefer to have it default to opening in the top position). The extra real estate is nice for the map when it is on top, but I still prefer having all of the buttons visible all the time.

One thing that would be nice is if the minimized version of the music player could always have a position at the bottom of the bottom window...mainly so I can I can hit the like or dislike buttons when listening to Slacker.

• Like x 3
  5. JPP

JPP Active Member

This is a known 'feature' in firmware 8.x and drives me and my wife crazy. We drive with the Nav on top and backup camera always on at the bottom (kort677--it is a great blind spot safety feature). if we select another app, it usually pops up at the bottom, covering the camera. Then if you tap on the camera, it goes on top, overlying the map. Lots of extra taps and drags needed to get everything where you want it. And the slide down/slide up control bar is an equal PITA.

• Like x 3
  6. bugZPDX

bugZPDX Member

We also use this method. Slightly less cumbersome but still a bit of a pain. I usually just want to quickly like/dislike a song but keep the map and camera where they are.

7. Airhawker

Airhawker Member

I also like the configuration with the camera and map.
    I recommend creating another Driver Profile and you would just have to switch back to that one after doing what you need to do.

8. Airhawker

Airhawker Member

I was wrong about this. Monitor remains as is while changing profiles. Just heads-up reverts to the profile.

9. Deans

Deans Member

It's great for the highway. Very easy to change lanes using the camera instead of multiple mirrors.

10. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

100% agree this change sucks. Takes so many taps to do anything on the screen now. They need to give us some optionality here, hopefully we get an update.

• Like x 2