Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The idiocy of the Maps and Camera screens is getting irritating....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it is just me, but on a typical trip, my normal preference is to have the maps and the camera windows up on the screen.

Occasionally, I will want to change the music station, or view another window temporarily. After doing this, in order to change back to a maps+camera screen, it is quite annoying to have to make multiple taps up and down swapping windows to make this happen.

Is there a configuration that makes this less of a hassle when driving at highway speeds?

At least with the old scheme it was always clear that the new window would be on top. Now it is just more annoyance than convenience.

I can understand wanting to have the rear camera on since the view through the rear mirror is somewhat restricted in the X, especially when the third row seats are up...and I too tend to put my rear view in the top window when I have it on (so I understand why some would prefer to have it default to opening in the top position). The extra real estate is nice for the map when it is on top, but I still prefer having all of the buttons visible all the time.

One thing that would be nice is if the minimized version of the music player could always have a position at the bottom of the bottom window...mainly so I can I can hit the like or dislike buttons when listening to Slacker.

Maybe it is just me, but on a typical trip, my normal preference is to have the maps and the camera windows up on the screen.

Occasionally, I will want to change the music station, or view another window temporarily. After doing this, in order to change back to a maps+camera screen, it is quite annoying to have to make multiple taps up and down swapping windows to make this happen.

Is there a configuration that makes this less of a hassle when driving at highway speeds?

At least with the old scheme it was always clear that the new window would be on top. Now it is just more annoyance than convenience.

This is a known 'feature' in firmware 8.x and drives me and my wife crazy. We drive with the Nav on top and backup camera always on at the bottom (kort677--it is a great blind spot safety feature). if we select another app, it usually pops up at the bottom, covering the camera. Then if you tap on the camera, it goes on top, overlying the map. Lots of extra taps and drags needed to get everything where you want it. And the slide down/slide up control bar is an equal PITA.

We also use this method. Slightly less cumbersome but still a bit of a pain. I usually just want to quickly like/dislike a song but keep the map and camera where they are.

When you bring up a new app, keep your finger on the icon for a second or so. Then a divided box will pop up around the icon and you can put the new app in the top half or bottom half. Not ideal, but better than multiple actions.