Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The impact of "Roundabouts"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
magic_roundabout.jpg

Here is a doozy... This is the so-called "Magic Roundabout" in Swindon in Wiltshire in the UK, a large roundabout of 5 smaller nested roundabouts.

I've visited the UK a lot, and actually driven round this beast in peak traffic. It was initially nerve-racking, but I got the hang of it.

That "fun" is called a "skidpad" :wink:
The "fun" I was referring to is the "hey let's see the social drama that unfolds by blocking traffic flow to make a point" not anything do with the feel of the vehicle.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you need to know that there's a car on the other side of the roundabout?
In short, I don't trust other drivers. If I can't see them, that's more unsafe to me. Regardless of what moves I make or don't.

Speed bumps? Fine, that's a physical obstacle that I can see and plan for.
Blinders on street lights so I can't see when cross-traffic is losing their green/yellow? That's fine, that isn't a safety obstacle to me.

Blocking the view of a multi-ton projectile coming directly towards me (+/- 1 degree) is asinine.

The "fun" I was referring to is the "hey let's see the social drama that unfolds by blocking traffic flow to make a point" not anything do with the feel of the vehicle.

- - - Updated - - -

In short, I don't trust other drivers. If I can't see them, that's more unsafe to me. Regardless of what moves I make or don't.

Speed bumps? Fine, that's a physical obstacle that I can see and plan for.
Blinders on street lights so I can't see when cross-traffic is losing their green/yellow? That's fine, that isn't a safety obstacle to me.

Blocking the view of a multi-ton projectile coming directly towards me (+/- 1 degree) is asinine.

It's not coming towards you. If it were coming towards you it'd be visible. You're worried about vehicles on the other side of the rotary that might end up coming your way but are far enough away that they don't matter to your decision. But, cheer up, if you're correct it'll show up in the stats and you can sue the city in a year or two.

It's not coming towards you. If it were coming towards you it'd be visible. You're worried about vehicles on the other side of the rotary that might end up coming your way but are far enough away that they don't matter to your decision. But, cheer up, if you're correct it'll show up in the stats and you can sue the city in a year or two.
Money is not my concern here.