TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The Incredible Shrinking Frunk

Discussion in 'Model S' started by twonius, Apr 25, 2016.

1. twonius

twonius Member

It looks like whether or not you get Dual motor or Bio Defense, Facelifts will have a smaller frunk. (skip to 1:44)

• Informative x 1
  2. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Yikes. Days like this make me thankful I have one of the original, RWD-only, super long microwave versions. It helps on my resale value now when people want storage. :)

I need to be able to haul a beehive's honey super in the frunk, and it looks like I can't do that any more here. In my car I can get 4 shallow supers in the frunk... zero if I get one in the new version.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Makes sense - simplifies inventory and supply chain.

• Like x 1
  4. twonius

twonius Member

Yeah it reinforces my preference for a classic 85 on coils.. Maybe with TACC

5. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

It still has the larger HEPA filter (hence less frunk space), but no bioweapon defense mode without Premium (pressurized cabin air)

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. WestCoastP85D

WestCoastP85D Member

Bio weapons defense or larger frunk? What would you choose?

7. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

Neither are very important to me. I have opened my frunk maybe 4 times in 8 months and 3 were just to show other people. If I were to ever really "NEED" the bio weapons defense feature I am not sure how long I could stay in my MS before the battery went dead and I had to exit into the environment anyway. LOL lol lol

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Well, unless you buy used there is no choice.

So let me make sure that I understand what Bjorn talked about in his video. He said the new 70D he showed in the video did not have the Bioweapon Defense Mode option. The current Model S configuration pages says that the HEPA filter and Bioweapon Defense Mode both come with the Premium Upgrades option, but that new 70D didn't have that option. So Bjorn's point is that now all Model S are being built with the space for the HEPA filter, and hence the smaller trunk, even if the car doesn't have the Permium Upgrades option items installed?

However, we still do not have proof that the 70 RWD car has the smaller frunk. Maybe it does, but I haven't seen anything posted about that.

I'm very used to the large frunk in my 85 RWD S. But I could certainly live without it in exchange for all the cool new features in the current production cars.

9. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

Makes me love my 2 S60's even more. I love the full size frunk, and use it frequently.

• Like x 1
  10. tstafford

tstafford Member

I've never put anything in the frunk - opened it once when I first got the car just to see it.

11. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

I use the frunk on a daily basis in conjunction with valet mode. As well, the microwave is occupied by a Tesla bag sized for the space.

So simple. I specifically ordered the car as RWD for that extra space.

I avoid inclement weather from Nov-Mar. If that changes, then of course I would invest in an AWD model and, since the frunk is of little use at that point, I wouldn't care if it came with BDM or not.

12. green1

green1 Active Member

My P85+ has the full sized frunk, and that was worth more to me than the gimmick of AWD
    I use winter tires in the winter, so AWD is never really needed, meanwhile I have a baby-jogger stroller that fills the frunk, I'd hate to give that up!

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  13. zambono

zambono Member

For those that need more space mini vans exist as well as the model X

14. Superloud

Superloud Member

Wow, yeah, I recently bought a used P85. For the last 8 years I drove an AWD SUV, and it was a big mental leap to go back to a RWD vehicle. But, since I live in California, I realized that my "need" to drive an AWD car every day was a figment of my imagination.

I think a lot of people view AWD as a must have thing, while viewing the sacrificed frunk space as inconsequential. But now I've flipped to feeling like (for the Bay Area), AWD is really not important(*). While the huge frunk is AWESOME! I have a pop tent, scooter, plastic bin filled with kids supplies (diapers, toy, etc), tire pump, and a bunch more in there nicely tucked away. And...my car is as fast as a 85D! (which is plenty fast enough for me). So I agree it's a plus for the old school RWD models.

(*) my wife does still drive an AWD vehicle so I haven't lost that completely

15. newtman

newtman Member

I don't think getting AWD has much to do with "needing" it for most people. It's more efficient, has better acceleration, and has better handling all around (especially taking curvy roads at speed). Any one of those is independently worth more to me than a couple extra cubic feet of storage space in the frunk; together, there's no competition.

• Like x 2
  16. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

I'd be amazed if they retain the large frunk on the 70.

Otherwise you have the crazy situation where the base model car has a feature that's not available on the rest of the range. Tesla have no interest in driving people towards the entry level model, so it makes perfect sense they'd ensure it has the same sized frunk as the rest.

17. That's the point of this thread, they have killed it off on the 70 as well so none of the cars have it.

18. Not always, I have both a P85+ and an 85D and the acceleration is the same, and I would say in most situations the P85+ handles better. OK I'll give you the 85D is a little more efficient. Big frunks rule.;)

19. newtman

newtman Member

Right but the + models (without AWD) were long ago deprecated, so comparing them is irrelevant for anyone ordering a Tesla today.